How to get puppy to fit screen

14 posts
by ChadP » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:12 pm
I finally have the puppy working on my RP. Does anyone know how to fit it to the screen? Im using hdmi but it over runs the screen a little on all four sides if someone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
by drgeoff » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:11 am
http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt.

Try: disable_overscan=0
by ChadP » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:13 am
I tried that but nothing changed. My tv is 720p not 1080p I'm new to this so I get confused easy on this stuff lol.
by BarryK » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:19 am
ChadP wrote:I finally have the puppy working on my RP. Does anyone know how to fit it to the screen? Im using hdmi but it over runs the screen a little on all four sides if someone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

The config.txt in Puppy alpha3:

Code: Select all
# refer: http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt also: http://www.jtek.cz/?p=62
# Use HDMI mode even if no HDMI monitor is detected
# (i have this problem if any usb device plugged in at startup)
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
# this might force audio out on hdmi...
#hdmi_drive=2
# Force hdmi to CEA mode...
#hdmi_group=1
# CEA 720p 60Hz...
#hdmi_mode=4
# CEA 720p 50Hz... (this works on my tv, 60Hz does not)
#hdmi_mode=19
# The RP firmware in partition 1 currently is set to very high overscan, giving huge black borders on the screen.
# set this to disable overscan, so video will fill the screen...
disable_overscan=1
# leaving disable_overscan=1 enabled, to cancel the system default overscan (do not comment it out),
# you can reintroduce some small some overscan, if video is spilling off edges of screen...
#overscan_left=4
#overscan_right=4
#overscan_top=4
#overscan_bottom=4

If you comment-out the "disable_overscan=1" then the firmware defaults to a very large amount of overscan, and you will have the opposite problem, that is, big black borders on the screen.

Change it to this:
Code: Select all
disable_overscan=1
overscan_left=4
overscan_right=4
overscan_top=4
overscan_bottom=4

...that is, leave "disable_overscan=1", which cancels the firmware default, then follow it with the amount of overscan on each edge. If you still get spillage, increase those values above "4".
by Montala » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:28 am
I ran into exactly the same problem yesterday when I tried Puppy for the first time.

Fortunately I remembered to check the 'config.txt' file first, but ended up using values much higher than 4 for the 'overscan' entries, so that I was left with just a small black border all round, which I prefer.

I had it set up with a wireless bridge initially, but my next task it to get it working with a powered hub and a tiny Edimax Wi-Fi EW-7811UN adaptor ... I am already using a Logitech K400 wireless keyboard, which gave me a bit of 'character repeat' at one time, but relocating the RasPi slightly seemed to cure this.

I will certainly be keeping an eye open for further releases and updates... keep up the good work chaps! :)
by ChadP » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:55 pm
I know this is a dumb question but where do I edit text do I do it in the console? I love the puppy the best of all the os. Great job!
by dancytron » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:39 pm
ChadP wrote:I know this is a dumb question but where do I edit text do I do it in the console? I love the puppy the best of all the os. Great job!

No, its Puppy. Navigate to it in the file manager and click on it and it will open in the right application. (Assuming it is like every other Puppy, I don't have a Raspberry Pi).
by Montala » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:13 pm
dancytron wrote:No, its Puppy. Navigate to it in the file manager and click on it and it will open in the right application. (Assuming it is like every other Puppy, I don't have a Raspberry Pi).

I don't think that your first statement will mean a lot to many users who (like me - until yesterday!) assumed that Puppy was 'just another Unix distro' with a terminal which would accept commands like 'apt-get upate' to name but one!

I now realise that is not in fact the case, and I can see that I will have to improve my Puppy knowledge sooner rather than later.

It does still look rather good though! ;)
by ChadP » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:34 pm
Do you comment something out like c code //.
by drgeoff » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:12 pm
ChadP wrote:Do you comment something out like c code //.

No, use a '#' like all the comment lines in BarryK's reply above.
by ChadP » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:52 pm
That fixed it, I found the config file on the desktop under mm0p1. Thanks for all your guys help. Is there a place I can find different apps or software to download. And is it possible to put my music files on a USB and play them on puppy?
by drgeoff » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:20 pm
On the desktop, is there a briefcase icon with 'install' written under it? Click that and then the button to run the Puppy Package Manager. There is also a button to load a page which introduces the Package Manager.

BTW the config.txt file is in /boot (when the RPi is running). Clicking the 'file' icon on the desktop displays the contents of the directory named 'root'. Click the up arrow to move to the top level of the file system (ie '/'). You will see boot and root there with many others including etc, bin, sbin.
by Workhorse » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:42 pm
I also found the Puppy display over ran the screen. My solution is to keep the HDMI cable unpluged from the Raspberry Pi untill the boot up has finished. It always defaults to the correct resolution when the HDMI cable is pluged in after boot up. I have no idea why, but it works for me.
by riffraff » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:55 am
I had similar problem. Had to use the hdmi = 4 for 720p and set overscan values in the 25-35 range. Guess my TV was not as good as I thought. I've got big chunky icons, but it's very readable.

I've had to re-flash my card several times due to my fumbling around. BTW, don't get led down a bunny trail trying to use x config, that doesn't apply to HDMI and Pi. It's a good idea to put up a copy of bootcode.bin from the Debian squeeze and your adjusted config.txt to copy back in to the boot after flashing.

Oh, yeah, and Puppy ROCKS!