Download Fedora Remix?

11 posts
by BenWiley4000 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:42 am
While I realize there are apparent issues with the version of Fedora Remix which was available to download earlier this year, I would like to at least try it out while I'm waiting for the new version-- unfortunately it seems it's not really anywhere on the Internet anymore.

Does anyone have a copy of the img that I could download and put on my SD card? Even a copy that isn't fresh is fine, if you have one. I'd just like to see how Fedora runs on the pi. A good place to host it temporarily would be Filedropper.com.

Thanks!
Ben
by itimpi » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:05 am
Nightly builds are available at http://scotland.proximity.on.ca/arm-nightlies/vault/. The builds with 'rpi' in the name are for the a raspberry Pi.
by gregjo » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:48 pm
Since Fedora last week released F17 for ARM, there will hopefully be a more official "Remix" release before too long.

From this page:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/Fedora_17_GA

"Raspberry Pi support is not included in Fedora 17 GA because it does not meet the Fedora release guidelines. Specifically, the Raspberry Pi relies upon a custom kernel version, not upstream, as well as special GPU binary blobs which are not acceptable under the current firmware exception. Nonetheless, an unsupported "nightly" Fedora 17 snapshot is available on the linked page. Likewise, an official Fedora 17 Raspberry Pi Remix will be available shortly and announced separately."
by kallikrates » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:51 pm
Has the remix download been removed since last night? Might be nice to be told if so. Feedback can be useful at times.
Best wishes, Stephen
by kallikrates » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:54 pm
BenWiley4000 wrote:Does anyone have a copy of the img that I could download and put on my SD card? Even a copy that isn't fresh is fine, if you have one. I'd just like to see how Fedora runs on the pi. A good place to host it temporarily would be Filedropper.com.

Thanks!
Ben

Ben, I think I have something to help you. I'll share it somehow when I find it.
Best wishes, Stephen
by gregjo » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:30 pm
If you are still interested in the F14 remix, the torrent for it still appears to be alive. See this page on where to get the torrent file.
http://www.cnx-software.com/2012/03/08/instructions-to-run-raspberry-pi-fedora-14-remix-in-qemu/

But if you're interested in newer stuff, the F17 nightly builds are available as well. See my previous post.
by BenWiley4000 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:42 pm
Awesome, thanks!
by peterm2 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:45 am
I cannot get this .xz file to download onto my SD card using
sudo xzcat f17arm-latest-arm-rpi-xfce-mmcblk0.img.xz > /dev/sdb
I keep getting permission denied problems.

Am I doing something wrong?

It is an 8GB Kingston card.

Or- Is there a way to extract the image file from the .xz file and then I can use imagewriter?

Peter M.
by jojopi » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:01 am
peterm2 wrote:sudo xzcat f17arm-latest-arm-rpi-xfce-mmcblk0.img.xz > /dev/sdb
The shell sets up redirections before starting the command, so sudo does not help here. You want:
Code: Select all
xzcat f17arm-latest-arm-rpi-xfce-mmcblk0.img.xz |sudo dd bs=1M of=/dev/sdb
by Gam » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:23 pm
Just downloaded Fedora 14 Remix image for Rasberry Pi and installed on the PI. Very straight forward installation no serious problem encountered. Have been running Fedora for 10 hours on the Pi with not a single crash or freeze or hangup. Firefox Browser runs very sluggish is barely usable. I downloaded installed Midori and Dillo Browsers. Midori runs about 50% faster than Firefox but cannot be compared with intel or AMD PC's it is slow. I like Dillio which seems to be optimized for text only but handles picture also. It runs as fast as any browser. Still cannot make the sound card to work, same for Video & YouTube. But i think it is matter of time audio / video should work. Tips are welcome. Sound was running fine on Debian. Also installed Spread Sheet and Abiword with fedora both run fine. As I said Fedora runs bit slowly but is quite usable as a second or third computer in the house. Pi was never meant to compete with PC's. Will keep posting my findings. GAM
by Gam » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:28 pm
Google for Fedora Raspberry image . It is available on Seneca College Fedora Project website. You can also use a Torrent to download. I highly recommend installing Fedora it beats Debian anytime however it runs slow . Gam