Fedora 17 arm "Nightly Builds" problem.

7 posts
by zardoz99 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:33 pm
Beware of the "gotchas" of the nightly builds from http://scotland.proximity.on.ca/arm-nightlies/ especially todays one.

I have just been bitten by the activation by the builders of "SELINUX" in enforcing mode.
Not sure quite why but the selinux labelling of files has been lost and as a result, it would not allow login as root.

I had to take the SD card and mount it on another system to return the /etc/selinux/config file back to "permissive" mode.
Once booted on the Raspi and logged in successfully this time, I relabelled the whole card.

Enjoy!

Z.
by just_perry » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:05 am
Unbeleivable

People download half a Gb for what, do a lot of work to get it to work and end up stuck in the login screen.
Such a thing should never be overlooked and that's the problem with Linux, too much crap for beginners.

Now, I ask Myself, is it possible to remotely adjust the permissions, I have an older Mac and can't run Linux, should be possible, downloaded many distros for PPC but Never booted any of them.
I know there is a certain Pref. Pane/Prog./Kext which can mount Ext3 but then My question is, is this Ext3
by jojopi » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:42 am
just_perry wrote:Unbeleivable

People download half a Gb for what, do a lot of work to get it to work and end up stuck in the login screen.
Such a thing should never be overlooked and that's the problem with Linux, too much crap for beginners.
These builds are superseded every evening. They are clearly not intended for beginners, or for people who do not want to have to download again. Also the problem you are complaining about is on a completely different image and nothing to do with this thread.
by just_perry » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:59 am
jojopi wrote:
just_perry wrote:Unbeleivable

These builds are superseded every evening. They are clearly not intended for beginners, or for people who do not want to have to download again. Also the problem you are complaining about is on a completely different image and nothing to do with this thread.

Did I tell you which image I downloaded, No!

But, with the above information I think I solved the problem.

FOR MAC USERS

Go to : http://www.thewireframecommunity.com/node/174
And download and install MacFuse and fuse-ext2
You Have to edit a certain file to get read/write acces.

Open terminal in Applications/Utilities
Enter the following sudo nano -c /System/Library/Filesystems/fuse-ext2.fs/fuse-ext2.util
Enter your Password
Go to line 207 with arrow down, then right arrow ON " in OPTIONS="auto_xattr,defer_permissions" and change to OPTIONS="auto_xattr,defer_permissions,rw+"
Save by pressing Control x, it will ask you to save (y n) press y enter and enter again, it will auto exit.

Insert card, you should have R/W permissions now.

Open /etc/selinux/config and change " SELINUX=enforcing" to "SELINUX=permissive"

That's it
Thanks to Uditha Atukorala and Zardoz99.

Edit/Update: Sadly changing " SELINUX=enforcing" to "SELINUX=permissive" didn't work for Me, just tried it, maybe if I set it to disabled????
by just_perry » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:38 am
Seems like my password and the root password is expired, opened secure log and says so.

That's what I don't understand, I typed in the password, then it asks to be changed because it's expired on the first boot but just a couple of minutes it's expired again, Odd.
by Paul Webster » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:48 am
Is the date/time set correctly on you RPi?
by rarebear » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:45 pm
Paul,

My rpi has date and time set properly. See my build plan under Fedora 17 ARM Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:20 pm