Fedora Remix?

8 posts
by JeremyF » Wed May 09, 2012 12:44 am
I was looking at the downloads page and I noticed that Fedora Remix is no longer listed. (even the buggy version) Does this mean a new version is arriving soon?

Just wondering.
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge
by lesliew » Wed May 09, 2012 3:41 am
Probably propagating Remix 17 to the mirrors at this very moment.

http://zenit.senecac.on.ca/wik.....a_Remix_17
by Montala » Wed May 09, 2012 7:22 am
Hopefully it will then re-appear on the downloads page?
by Jim Manley » Wed May 09, 2012 8:10 am
lesliew said:

Probably propagating Remix 17 to the mirrors at this very moment.

http://zenit.senecac.on.ca/wik.....a_Remix_17

Fedora 17 mainline itself is a beta - so, they're just leaping forward from Remix 14 (anyone know why they didn't just start with Fedora 16 stable?  Significantly larger number of packages to compile/debug in 16 than 14?).  Fedora 17 mainline stable isn't scheduled to be published until the Fall, IIRC, and that was supposed to be the first mainline release to include the Pi Remix officially supported by the Fedora Project - is that still the plan?
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!
by Montala » Wed May 09, 2012 8:31 am
In the above link it states that the release date for Raspberry Pi Fedora Remix 17 as May 2012 (although it is in brackets!).
by Jim Manley » Thu May 10, 2012 2:37 am
Montala said:

In the above link it states that the release date for Raspberry Pi Fedora Remix 17 as May 2012 (although it is in brackets!).

That will be the beta for the Remix based on the mainline beta 17.

However, according to the Fedora Project site:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/.....7/Schedule

the mainline final release will be May 22, 2012, although that date has slipped twice, but, only by a couple of weeks since release planning started in November.  I don't see how in the world they're going to have a stable Remix 17 based on mainline final release 17 only two weeks from now.  Very few beyond the Seneca team have Remix beta 17, and there are still a relatively small number of Pi boards that can test it.

I'm guessing that they won't be able to declare Remix 17 stable until there are enough users with Pi boards to do adequate testing by late in the Summer, maybe even the early Fall, per the guesstimate schedule I had recalled.  This can't possibly include desperately-required things like a GPU-accelerated X window port.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!
by jojopi » Thu May 10, 2012 3:25 am
Jim Manley said:

I'm guessing that they won't be able to declare Remix 17 stable until there are enough users with Pi boards to do adequate testing by late in the Summer, maybe even the early Fall, per the guesstimate schedule I had recalled.

Based on the fact that it asked the user for a timezone but did nothing with it, and failed to start the GUI if selected on the first boot, both trivially fixable, Remix 14 could not have been test booted more than once prior to release.

It is just Fedora ARM with a handful of Pi-specific firmware and demo packages, released as a bootable image.  Assuming that Fedora ARM is up to date with tracking and compiling Fedora 17 sources, I see no reason the Remix could not be released this month.

This can't possibly include desperately-required things like a GPU-accelerated X window port.

Nor does any other distro.
by MasterSplinter » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:04 pm
JeremyF wrote:I was looking at the downloads page and I noticed that Fedora Remix is no longer listed. (even the buggy version) Does this mean a new version is arriving soon?

Just wondering.

I figured that would happen...so I grabbed the distros as soon as I could. v.14 (574MB).