Fedora 14 Remix - GUI for Python, Perl, Ruby and Bash

8 posts
by jfeeney » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:15 am
I have a Raspberry PI on order. While I am waiting on it to arrive I have been learning Linux. I am brand new to Linux. I have setup Fedora 16 on an older PC.

I see from the Fedora 14 Remix announcement that the operating system will come with Python, Perl, Ruby and Bash. However, there was no mention of a GUI or front-end for these programming languages. For instances when I installed Fedora 16 on my PC I ended up with Geany as a programming GUI or IDE (not sure the correct term) pre-installed under the programming section.

So I have two questions:

1) Does any know if a GUI will come pre-installed that will be the editor for Python, Perl, Ruby and Bash...or will there be 4 GUI's one for each program... or none? (If something is going to be pre-installed then I would try and load it on my PC machine and start my learning process).

2) Reading through some other forum posts, I was under the impression that QT4 or QTCreator was going to be popular. If this assumption is correct why was it not part of the pre-installed programs?

Thanks, John
by JeremyF » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:37 am
I don't think any of them will have GUIs for editing... I assume it will be expected that people edit in pico, or vim, or emacs.
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge
by SN » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:53 am
not seen anything so far in qemu

open terminal and enter "vi helloworld.py" ;-)
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?
by Jim Manley » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:22 am
Geany is being included in at least the Debian distro specifically for developing with Python (although obviously, it can be used with any language).  It's demonstrated in the Raspberry Pi Tutorial 3 - Hello World, Geany and Python YouBoob video, which features Debian:

The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!
by Vindicator » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:36 am
The GUI generally refers to your desktop and if you do not have a GUI you will start in the command line, In the GUI you access the command line from a terminal program.

Geany (at least the one I have been using from the tutorials that Liam Fraser has been posting on YouTube) has a graphical front-end as you are not in a terminal or the command line. (Graphical window in the GUI and a front-end in the terminal ?)

Graphical front-end programs can usually be started in Linux from the command line or in the GUI by clicking their Icon/shortcut ?(whatever it's proper term may be in Linux)

(some people are way to sensitive as to terms between Linux and Windows)

Hopefully I am using recognizable terms as these have been pretty much left behind in our mostly windows world and as terms do seem to change from generation to generation.

As in my gen you hooked 2 computers with network cards together without a hub by using a peer to peer cable now peer to peer P2P means things like Skype etc.

If you look at the video above you will see aht I mean you are not in the command line in geany.

Now the more prevalent term would be a crossover cable.
If you are more worried about ,spelling, punctuation or grammar you have probably already missed the point so please just move on.
by nick.mccloud » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:57 am
jfeeney said:

So I have two questions:

1) Does any know if a GUI will come pre-installed that will be the editor for Python, Perl, Ruby and Bash...or will there be 4 GUI's one for each program... or none? (If something is going to be pre-installed then I would try and load it on my PC machine and start my learning process).

There are a couple of text editors installed but at this stage of the game we are all helping the Foundation refine things. A simple sudo yum install geany will install geany for you - I for one totally prefer that then using gedit (which is already installed).

2) Reading through some other forum posts, I was under the impression that QT4 or QTCreator was going to be popular. If this assumption is correct why was it not part of the pre-installed programs?

QT is a pretty heavy duty GUI toolkit - both in learning curve and size - but as mentioned above, part of the process is for us to have a play and give some feedback.

As of yet, there are no right or wrong answers.
by andyl » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:48 am
nmcc said:

jfeeney said:

So I have two questions:

There are a couple of text editors installed but at this stage of the game we are all helping the Foundation refine things. A simple sudo yum install geany will install geany for you - I for one totally prefer that then using gedit (which is already installed).

This is important.  In Linux there are often multiple choices.  Just because geany suits one person doesn't mean it will suit everyone.

You do not need a fancy editor or IDE for most things, and certainly not for bash.

QT is a pretty heavy duty GUI toolkit - both in learning curve and size - but as mentioned above, part of the process is for us to have a play and give some feedback.

It is also fairly early days in getting the distro nailed down.  I would expect that by September everything will be right.  At the moment there may well be stuff not installed by default which probably should be.
by SN » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:32 pm
Hmmm, its a bit of a struggle in QEMU but we're getting there...

A quick "yum install geany" from an ssh'ed root session allowed me to do this

And after setting the executable bit on the helloworld.py file, I have my first working "Hello World" program in python!

Baby steps... baby steps... ;-)
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?