Bluetooth keyboard & mouse

15 posts
by gorstj » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:08 pm
I have read that most bluetooth adapters should work fine with the Raspberry Pi.

How would one pair a bluetooth mouse and keyboard in Fedora Linux?

How does one start off the pairing process if I haven't got a wired keyboard/mouse to initiate the connection on the command line? (I have only used bluetooth mouse/keyboard with a Mac which seems to just 'work')

Thanks in advance for any advice before I order my bluetooth peripherals whilst waiting my RPi.
by pr6srm » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:41 pm
gorstj said:

How would one pair a bluetooth mouse and keyboard in Fedora Linux?

How does one start off the pairing process if I haven't got a wired keyboard/mouse to initiate the connection on the command line? (I have only used bluetooth mouse/keyboard with a Mac which seems to just 'work')

In the same way with a mac these things just work, they will also with Fedora.  Unlike a Mac keyboard and mouse, the PC bluetooth keyboards and mice come with a little bluetooth adapter which will automatically pair with the keyboard/mouse.  Easy!
by pedley » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:45 pm
hmmmm good point I guess you would need to use a usb keyboard or mouse for initial setup.

If SSH is setup from boot the SSH in from another machine and pair from the command line not sure how this works but I assume it would be possible most things are possible from the linux command line.  This assumes SSH is available from boot with no further configuration.
by pr6srm » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:54 pm
pedley said:

hmmmm good point I guess you would need to use a usb keyboard or mouse for initial setup.

I don't think so. Most keyboard mice combo's use pre-configuered hardware pairing, so they require no user intervention on driver layer support for the pairing.

As long as the os build ships with drivers for generic USB HID keyboard and mouse they should work fine for accessing the default keys and mouse functions. Vendor specific drivers will additionally support programmable hot-keys etc.

You can quickly test this to be true by plugging you BT keyb/mouse into your PC and running a simple live disc of a linux installation (such as GParted) or if you have an EFI system, see if they work in that.
by bredman » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:01 pm
Bluetooth keyboards are designed with this limitation in mind.

The keyboard and dongle are paired in the factory. In some cases, you may find that the keyboard and dongle have small reset buttons which may be pressed to force re-pairing.
by pedley » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:23 pm
Yorkshireboy said:

I don't think so. Most keyboard mice combo's use pre-configuered hardware pairing, so they require no user intervention on driver layer support for the pairing.

Well the last 2 bluetooth mice I have had have not come with there own usb dongle or what ever.  I have had to pair them to the bluetooth dongle I already have.

Seperate to that cordless keyboards and mice do come with some form of hardware to plug into the usb,  but as fair as I am aware these do not use bluetooth.

I am sure that some bluetooth equipment will have a dedicated receiver but I'm not sure the majority would since they are designed for using with phones etc which have bluetooth built in.

I think the question is wireless or bluetooth 2 seperate technologies.  Wireless will come with dedicated paired receiver bluetooth in my experiance does not.

At least as far as mice are concerned never used a bluetooth keyboard.
by bredman » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:37 pm
Apologies, I never considered that somebody would buy a keyboard without a dongle.

Don't do this, RPi does not have integrated Bluetooth.
by pedley » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:51 pm
bredman said:

Apologies, I never considered that somebody would buy a keyboard without a dongle.

Don't do this, RPi does not have integrated Bluetooth.

NP I guess the fact is I have 2 or 3 bluetooth dongles laying around and so never look for devices with a dongle.

Personally i'm planning on using one of these spear dongles along with somthing like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell.....500wt_1289

Which as far as  I can tell doesn't come with a seperate dongle :)
by gorstj » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:48 pm
The keyboard/trackpad combo I am looking at (a Rii) does not come with a bluetooth adapter.

If I buy a generic bluetooth adapter it should automatically pair with the Rii without a user intervention?

Thanks
by pr6srm » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:55 am
gorstj said:

The keyboard/trackpad combo I am looking at (a Rii) does not come with a bluetooth adapter.

If I buy a generic bluetooth adapter it should automatically pair with the Rii without a user intervention?

Thanks

No.  Or at least very unlikely.

You will need the linux distro you plan on using to ship with a bluetooth driver stack that is compatible with the chipset in the bluetooth dongle you are planning to use.  I suggest you investigate the support forums of the linux distro you are planning to use and/or those of the dongle manufacturer.

The best advice I can give you is the same as bredman which is do NOT do this.  Use a hardware paired set or use wired keyb/mouse.
by karl101 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:07 pm
Is this wireless keyboard and mouse actually Bluetooth?. The Logitech MK260 I use is not bluetooth and works perfectly on my SUSE box.

Also, if it were bluetooth, how would you be able to get into the BIOS and GRUB boot menus before the BT stack was loaded?

Karl.
by trikidiki » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:39 pm
gorstj said:

Thanks

I have a Rii. It is definately bluetooth and it does come with a bluetooth dongle (although it doesn't get mentioned in any advertising I've seen. I don't think it paired automaticaly with my PC.
by Hansel » Fri May 04, 2012 1:36 am
Right, well I just bought a Bluetooth Rii and I have OpenELEC installed on the Pi.   I've just plugged the dongle in and rebooted, but it doesn't seem to be seeing the unit...

Oh oh...
by tawalker » Fri May 04, 2012 9:25 am
Sorry if folk already know this, but we shouldn't get Bluetooth keyboards/pointing devices mixed up with USB wireless (2.4GHz) ones.

I have a combo keyboard-with-trackball that comes with its own wireless USB dongle, and it works with our nettop PC (running Ubuntu). Moreover, I can use the wireless keyboard right from when I press the power button, even for interacting with the BIOS settings, so the USB dongle is clearly operating at a fundamental level in the hardware (independent of the OS). I get the idea that Bluetooth is an "OS-level" system, so BT is dependent on the OS managing it (i.e. you couldn't work with your BIOS settings via a BT keyboard).

Look forward to trying the wireless keyboard with the RasPi...
---
Raspberry Pi Model B ("ryo-ohki") - Arch Linux/ARM (hard float)
Visit Eee 701 Planetoid (http://eee701planetoid.wordpress.com/) for continuing adventures with an Eee 701SD and Raspberry Pi...
---
by ado » Sat May 12, 2012 11:07 pm
Did some quick googling on this subject and i found this http://arm.koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/rpminfo?rpmID=197421 for fedora arm. It seems like it should solve the problem but you do have to use a normal wired or paired wireless keyboard / mouse to set it up in the first place.