Fedora ARM on Raspberry Pi

267 posts   Page 4 of 11   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11
by grumpyoldgit » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:03 pm
It means they haven't uploaded the image yet. That message hasn't changed for days.
by liamfraser280 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:08 pm
Hey Guys.

I'm in charge of distributing the images and managing the download server / load balancer that I created.

I'm still waiting for an image from Chris but I do think that it is nearly ready. Once I recieve that, I'll create a torrent, checksum and so on. Following this, the files are moved into the "live" area and will be pushed to mirrors via FTP/RSync; also mirrors will pull via RSync.

We wait 24 hours to ensure that each mirror has synced the files before announcing the links.

Cheers,

Liam.
by fshields » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:38 pm
Liam Fraser,

Thanks for the good info about how the images will be coming.

bob_binz,

Thanks for the link. I missed that whole area of the wiki somehow.  It looks like that may be the official page where the image will be announced.

All others who say "What's the rush?",

I think you're missing the point.  There was a release event where nothing was released!  Nowhere on the release event page does it say this.  Nowhere on the release event page does it point you to a location to look for the announcement of the images. Seneca's own wiki says that their working on F13 not F14.  Niether the elinux.org site, nor the Fedora project site makes any mention of an impending remix for RPi. The RaspberryPi.org website mentions nothing of a delay in the image release on their downloads page.

As much as I appreciate Seneca's work, this is poor management of the F14 image release information. If this project is to succeed there needs to be better organization. There may be over 100,000 people interested in the Raspberry Pi at this early date, but it already looks a little ameteurish in terms of management. No matter what the reason (or who is to blame) the RPi release was a disaster in terms of unfulfilled expectations. (Ironically, the RPi release was a P.R. bonanza for the same reasons.) Add to that the inability to find the most desired image for the device after its "release"; it makes me worried that it will turn off a whole host of interested parties.

I want Raspbeery Pi to succeed. Turning off newbies and possible integrators (who want to use RPi in thier vertical markets) because of lack of information & organization is not a great way to start.  What you will have left is a platform that only a rabid group of enthusiasts with insider knowledge will have interest in.  That was not the intent of this project.
by zardoz99 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:56 pm
I, for one, am ready with QEMU set up to start work on the F14 remix as soon as it becomes available. I have an RPi on order and would rather like to hit the ground running, with a familiar environment already used under QEMU.

This is where the "rush" is... Not everybody is just waiting for the postman to call. Some are being proactive and trying to set up full F14 development environments. However, we need to know what we are going to be using as an initial boot system.

So, I'm looking forward to the page at "http://zenit.senecac.on.ca/wik.....stallation" actually having some links on it.

Z.
by wifiuk » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:56 pm
i have looked, but just wanted to check i havnt missed the Fedora ARM download link for the Pi
Free photoshop Tutorials - www.howtophotoshop.co.uk
by nate z » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:42 pm
Turn off/turn on, intentions, differing visions etc. are all irrelevant. This "Field of Dreams" effort to do a smart cheap design and seed it to hobbyists and then to schools has walked straight into a singularity. On the far side of that singularity is a huge and varied community trying out and sharing lots of ideas with a clever piece of kit.

The Raspi launched with a Debian image available with a number of distro images including Fedora to follow. The key role of Fedora going forward and the role of Seneca is a happy accident that Raspberry Foundation does not control. Hardware is armv6. Seneca does the secondary architectures for Fedora and Seneca course work added raspi to that list. This year ARM will become a primary Fedora architecture.

Anyone turned off by all of the crowd sourcing including Seneca not releasing during their break week should probably wait until they can order a raspi with a case and an sd card that includes F17 and links them to appropriate communities.
by nate z » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:46 pm
BTW, With Seneca returning from break week you should see an update in the next few days re: download availability.
by kingcrowbar » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:17 am
Hello all.

I just have a query about how "Fedora" the distro will be.

Will it have the usual restrictions for packages eg. US patent restricted software will be missing?

If so, are there any plans for an ARM version of something like RPMfusion for those questionable packages like mplayer and ffmpeg or will the remix include such packages?
by nate z » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:02 am
by Chromatix » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:45 am
This doesn't specifically affect me, but what sort of installer are you providing for Windows users?  Is it a raw disk image writer as used for the Debian image, or is it more sophisticated than that?
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.
by fshields » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:13 am
Chromatix said:

This doesn't specifically affect me, but what sort of installer are you providing for Windows users?  Is it a raw disk image writer as used for the Debian image, or is it more sophisticated than that?

According to Seneca's Installation Instructions, it looks like they will be providing an "installer" that will help burn the image to the SD card, as well as a raw image for those who prefer to use a utility such as dd.

If you are interested in working directly with disk images from within Windows, Liam Fraser has created a wonderful video tutorial on YouTube. Although it covers how to transfer the Debian Linux image to a SD card, the same process would be used for the RPi Fedora 14 Remix image.
by steviewevie » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:03 am
Update from the official Raspberry Pi Twitter feed :

"We expect the Fedora image in the next few days. @Seneca_College have been on a break in the last week; there"s just 1 install bug to fix"
by Chromatix » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:41 am
So, to answer my real question, the installer can adapt the image to the size of the card - yes or no?

(Good to see that installers will also be available for non-Windows platforms.)
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.
by steviewevie » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:24 am
Heads-up on the perceived performance of this remix, for those who aren't aware already. Taken from Seneca's Wiki :

Why is the Remix slow?

The GUI in particular is slow, because the 2D graphics (the X Window System) are not yet connected to the 3D graphics processing unit on the SOC.

General tips for performance:

• Work with only one app at a time. Viewing the Raspberry Pi's output on a large, high-definition display invites running many applications at once, but the Raspberry Pi does not have a lot of memory.

• Consider adding swap space -- though the jury is still out on the value of swapping to an SD card.

• Use apps that have the same look and feel. It's more likely that these programs will use the same graphical toolkit (for example, GTK3 or Qt4), reducing the amount of memory used for shared libraries.

• Try alternate apps that provide similar functionality.

by wifiuk » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:42 pm
The GUI in particular is slow, because the 2D graphics (the X Window System) are not yet connected to the 3D graphics processing unit on the SOC.

So are they planning to connect the 2D graphics to the GPU? will there be an update?
Free photoshop Tutorials - www.howtophotoshop.co.uk
by nate z » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:53 pm
I would guess that anything major would be in their F17 in 2-3 months. Once F14 for raspi is released where will maintainers be answering questions about the distro?
by fshields » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:04 pm
Chromatix said:

So, to answer my real question, the installer can adapt the image to the size of the card – yes or no?

According to Seneca's Main Wiki Page on the RPi:

During the first boot of the system, two processes take place:

1. the image is resized to fill the SD card.

2. if the system is being used interactively, the user is prompted to do final system configuration (set the root password, create a user account, set the timezone, and select character-mode or graphical default operation).

So, resizing to fill the SD card doesn't happen with the installer, it happens at first boot.
by steviewevie » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:14 am
wifiuk said:

So are they planning to connect the 2D graphics to the GPU? will there be an update?

Chris Tyler talks about this a little bit in Seneca's intro video to their work (at 03:00), where he says that he hopes as more people get involved in the project, things in general will improve. So it sounds like no specific plans, but I'm sure there will be plenty of people willing to work on it.
by nate z » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:07 pm
His fall course worked on the F14 remix and his winter course is working on the F17 remix. Would not expect it in F14. Do not know if they are addressing 2D accleration in F17.
by Dandapani » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:32 am
Any new date for Fedora 14 release?  This thread is 7 pages long.  Did I miss it?
by grumpyoldgit » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:34 am
Nope. Still on finishing touches I gather.
by RorschachUK » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:26 pm
by Chris Tyler » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:50 pm
Ready to try some Fedora Remix on your Raspberry Pi? Here's the scoop--

The easiest way to install the Remix is to grab an the installer, written by Jon Chiappetta:

Run the installer, plug in an SD card, click the refresh arrows to update the list of images and target devices, select the image you want (r1) and the SD card, then click Install.

The installer will download, decompress, and install the image; a copy will be left on your desktop. If you later want to install additional cards using that copy, or use an image that you've directly downloaded, use the Browse button to locate the image file.

Important note -- please take care not to install the image on the wrong device; you could potentially destroy data on another card, USB drive, or disk. The installer will only let you select devices with capacities of 32 GB or less, but please exercise extreme caution selecting the device.

Once your image is installed on to the card, you can boot it on the Pi. (It's recommended that you have an ethernet connection to a network with a DHCP server during the boot, so that the time can be set correctly). The image occupies about 1.6G of space on the card, and during the first boot on the Pi, it will be expanded to fill your SD card in a two step process (repartitioning, reboot, filesystem resize).

After the image has been resized, a text-mode first boot process will prompt you to set the root password, create a regular user and set a password for that user, select your timezone, and select whether you wish to boot into graphical or text mode.

Release notes, FAQ, and so forth are at http://cdot.senecac.on.ca/raspberrypi

(Many thanks to Liam Fraser, the Raspberry Pi mirror network, the Velocix content distribution network, and the Fedora mirror network for managing the mirroring; Jon Chiappetta for writing the installer; the Fedora Project and the Fedora ARM Secondary Architecture group for building the Fedora packages; the Raspberry Pi Foundation for the use of an Alpha board; Seneca's SBR600 classes for their work on the build farm and testing/adapting/optimizing on the Pi; and the Fedora ARM team at Seneca (Masihul Abed, Anthony Boccia, Jon Chiappetta, Jordan Cwang, Paul Whalen, and Salman Zafar) for running the build system; and Seneca College, the Raspberry Pi Foundation, and the Fedora Project for their support and collaboration).
by Bad Wolf » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:57 pm
Many thanks for making this so easy
To a person with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
by Dandapani » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:58 pm
Thanks  ;-)