Fedora ARM on Raspberry Pi

267 posts   Page 3 of 11   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11
by slacer » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:36 pm
Yes, a maintained firewall and a linux with current security patches, strong passwords,... should help to keep a intruder free machine.

But... do you really think those script kiddies target multiple platforms?

They try to inject some x86 code into your buffers on an ARM system - and it might crash, but I don't think their tools "support" ARM cpu systems.

On the other hand...

... if you run your own box and install apache as root, mysql without password, an unpatched bbs board... nothing is going to help you!

Security is more than just a collection of all current patches - it is required that YOU know and understand the risk.
by mgmt_idiot » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:43 am
slacer said:

Security is more than just a collection of all current patches - it is required that YOU know and understand the risk.

Agreed, but we still need the current patches too.
by LackThereof » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:29 am
From the looks of it, we get old F14 for download around the same time the first batch hits the stores.

It's old and unmaintained, but it's working and stable.

A few more months down the road (probably before the "educational release" of the model A), we'll have F18, which will be current and actively maintained.

If you aren't comfortable running an out-of-date, unmaintained OS, hold off until F17/18 are released before you start your project.  Or maybe give gentoo a try.
by bsimpson888 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:03 am
In my experience,

there is no secure distribution unless you patch it yourself depending on what services your linux box is running. Because even on x86 if there is no one patching the package you will not having the security fixes.

For example even the current debian provides just a rather old mysql-server package from july 2010 (5.1.49) which does not include a lot of security fixes the 5.1.51 version from the Fedora 14 arm repository is providing.

If you want to stay really secure, you have to compile the packages yourself anyway or live with the danger.

But of course having a more actual version of any distribution is enhancing the chance of having recent security fixes onboard.
by mgmt_idiot » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:00 am
LackThereof said:

A few more months down the road (probably before the "educational release" of the model A), we'll have F18, which will be current and actively maintained.

If you aren't comfortable running an out-of-date, unmaintained OS, hold off until F17/18 are released before you start your project.  Or maybe give gentoo a try.

Judging by the previous Fedora release cycle, F18 will be in November, a date they have adhered to since 2007. So I expect the educational release to be F17, which will be fine.

11 + 10 = 101 surely
by mgmt_idiot » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:08 am
bsimpson888 said:

If you want to stay really secure, you have to compile the packages yourself anyway or live with the danger.

I think the idea that by compiling yourself, you're staying secure is a bit of Bruce Schneier's security snake oil metaphor. You would only gain security by self-compilation if you both took the time to read the code, and understood it all. I think it's human-resource-prohibitive to do this (i.e. who really has the time to read all the source code of their OS? Would they find the time to do anything else?). Instead, better to get executables from a source that you trust sufficiently for the purpose to which you are putting the system.
by benbojangles » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:17 am
Nice. I love Puppy Linux & DSL. This can only help too. The rpi seems like a good idea, but I also like the idea of pulling an old computer/laptop from a skip and making it work too, for free. +&- to both I guess. But for just a few quid, this can't be in anyway a bad idea.  I would like to see this work with my TP-Link TL-WN321G usb wifi dongle. All Linux distros accept it out the box. Maybe even using my D-Link DWM-152 3G dongle would be good too! Hook up a Lipo battery, then I could make magic happen out in the wild...

Ahh, remote networked applications. Breathe it in. Hurry up and sell me one!

Let me know if I can be of service, & keep in touch. thanks.
by crundy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:58 am
Re potential bandwith issues, could they not stagger the release by offering the torrent first and asking people to seed it before offering HTTP downloads a day later or so?
by cnxsoft » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:06 pm
Crundy said:

Re potential bandwith issues, could they not stagger the release by offering the torrent first and asking people to seed it before offering HTTP downloads a day later or so?

+1.

They could also put the torrent first on the download page and ask people to only use the HTTP server if they can't use bittorrent. due to their ISP.
by arm2 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:23 pm
Good ideas above!

Also having a link on the download page to an idiots guide (and trusted download source) to installing a bittorrent on Windows (xP, Vista & W7) I think would pay dividends! I'd use it:-)

Also some guidance on installing to a card greater than 2GB. The notes I've seen on that are not for a novice.
by tjbopen » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:08 pm
I have found qBittorrent Portable to be a painless way of "installing" and using a bittorrent client on Windows.
by steviewevie » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:38 am
Thanks for your great work Chris, sounds like exciting things are in store for Fedora on ARM/Raspi !
by zag » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:04 am
Just another "well done" from me.

Cant believe bandwidth is an issue these days though. Tonnes of people on the forums able to mirror. Just start off a torrent and the dd mirrors will pop up right away.
Unofficial Raspberry Pi Forums - www.raspberrypiforums.com
by Nutolinux » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:30 pm
For bittorrent downloads easy to install

Free Download Manager open source..........FDM ver. 3.8 build 1173 (6,7 Mb, setup)
New features: Torrents - Allows to download torrent files

http://www.freedownloadmanager.....wnload.htm
by liamfraser280 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:40 pm
Hi all.

Bandwidth isn't really an issue because we now have a load balancer in. Still about another hundred mirrors to go in but there should be plenty of bandwidth to cope with the fedora release... Not to mention torrents :)

Check it out here:

http://downloads.raspberrypi.o.....2-2012.zip

Cheers,

Liam.
by steviewevie » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:53 am
Any further news on the remix ?
by Chromatix » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:34 am
Indeed, this one has been Imminent for a while now, and it was supposed to be the official launch distro too.

Mind you, it's been amazingly hard to get any info at all since Wednesday.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.
by hexameron » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:49 am
There is an official website:  http://zenit.senecac.on.ca/wiki/index.php/Raspberry_Pi_Fedora_Remix

"Architecture: armv5tel"
by steviewevie » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:07 am
hexameron said:

There is an official website:  http://zenit.senecac.on.ca/wiki/index.php/Raspberry_Pi_Fedora_Remix

Thanks ! Interesting, it says "Release date: February 29, 2012", but I can't see a download link. I wonder if that edit was a bit premature, and coincidentally (?) it is the same as the hardware launch date.
by fshields » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:14 am
I am so confused.

Has the Raspberry Pi Fedora Remix 14 been released or not?

There was a release event on February 22, but was anything released?  I can't find a download link on the release event page.

I've been to the Seneca Centre for the Development of Open Technology website which does not contain any download links.

I've been to the Fedora ARM Secondary Architecture page at Seneca which states the status as "Currently building F13 under the supervision of Paul Whalen and Chris Tyler."  I thought they were finishing F14?

I've been to the eLiniux RPI Architectures page which gives a link to the Fedora Project (ARM) website. But the Fedora Project page gives links to the following downloads for "Fedora 14 - For ARMv5tel":

Are any of these the Raspberry Pi Fedora Remix 14 that has been talked about?  I'm guessing they are not.

Chris Tyler said on February 22:

I've also become aware of just how large and active the Raspberry Pi community is as we've watched the first SD card image get massive attention...

Chris talks about the "massive attention" that the SD card image has gotten.  Is he referring to downloads of the image.  If so, where is it?!?!

I really appreciate all of the work that the folks at Seneca have done. But I am very frustrated.  I have been going around in circles for days trying to find the released F14.

If anyone has information about whether RPi Fedora Remix 14 has been released and where the image is available for download, please post it here and update (and make clear) the other pages that I have referenced where people might be looking for the download.

Thanks.
by PuFFiN » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:18 am
Hey there, :)

Here is a +1 to wondering. I thought this was supposed to have been released, though there is no clear information on where to download it.

(The Seneca college web page somewhat implies it is download-able, but Google searches reveal little. I feel as though I'm trying to find my way around in the inky blackness, devoid of simple straight forward web pages and ftp mirrors/torrent images!

I wouldn't mind a clear explanation of what's going on from someone who knows something officially, it would be much appreciated.) :P

- Gav
by sorinm » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:57 am
What`s the rush ? I think no one got his raspberry pi yet :)

Probably when the 10.000 pi`s from the first batch will actually be delivered then fedora 14 will be made available.
by liamfraser280 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:01 am
Sorin is right, no one even has a Raspberry Pi yet :D !

The first image Chris is referring to is the Debian 6 image released last month.

The Fedora 14 image is coming soon though. You'll hear about it via an announcement on the front page and twitter I think.
by steviewevie » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:45 am
Forrest Shields said:

I am so confused.

Has the Raspberry Pi Fedora Remix 14 been released or not?

There was a release event on February 22, but was anything released?  I can't find a download link on the release event page.

No, nothing was released at that event. The plan was that it was going to be made available for download on that day, but they ran into problems (posted about earlier in this thread), so although they went ahead with all the PR, they didn't have anything at that stage that was ready for release.

I am guessing that some of the links you posted are generic ARM releases. There is going to be a specific Remix for Raspberry Pi, not just a generic ARM Remix.

As well as the Debian SD image, I think Chris also refers to when they put up a video about the Raspi Remix, and it got a huge number more views than he was expecting, so he was taken aback by the demand, I think.
by bob_binz » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:47 pm
Just for info, this page at http://zenit.senecac.on.ca/wik.....stallation says

"(link to be provided after mirrors sync up) "

whenever that means.