Fedora ARM on Raspberry Pi

267 posts   Page 11 of 11   1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
by gingernator007 » Tue May 08, 2012 11:48 am
Fedora 17 for RPi seems like it's coming along nicely to me.  Here's the latest snapshot 07/05/12, haven't tried it yet.

http://blc.fedorapeople.org/fe.....a-arm/f17/
by nick.mccloud » Tue May 08, 2012 12:07 pm
I tried it but it fell over badly and as I'm still only on Pi day 5 I've other things to try out before I go back to see what's up.

The most pressing thing holding up such testing is the lack of SD cards so I've got a half dozen on order.
by gingernator007 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:45 pm
Fell over in what way, kernel panic?
by nick.mccloud » Tue May 08, 2012 1:11 pm
Ground to a halt during boot and came up with a prompt of kb>

Sorry for being a bit pathetic - I was in the throws of trying out everything on my must try list!
by gingernator007 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:18 pm
Was it booting off a 4gb sd by any chance because I had the same issue with the previous F17 build, I think the .img is slightly (I mean by one or two blocks) too big for my 4gb Transcend.
by gruffman » Thu May 10, 2012 4:39 pm
hm… I just wrote f17 to a 8gb card, and fired it up! It booted nicely for a while….. but it's taking too long...... something with resizing?

mmc0: note - long write sync ....

timer callback....
by gruffman » Thu May 10, 2012 4:52 pm
how long time should I wait? Now it's on

[1832.134980] mcc0: note - long write sync 1350000ns - 13603 its.

[1854.....] DEBUG_ timer_callback:: Timer hc timer callback

[....] WARN:: hc_xfer_timeout:1740: hc_xfer_timeout: timeout on channel 5

[.....] WARN:: hc_xfer_timeout:1742 start_hcchar_val 0x00d88a00
by Pi-n-Mash » Sun May 20, 2012 3:45 pm
I get those warnings on Fedora 14 in the qtonpi distro. I also have to enable ethernet each time, because I don't know how to enable it permanently. the qt wiki says to use "dhclient eth0" followed by "ifconfig -a" to find out the IP address, so you can ssh into the RPi.

No doubt this is an absolute beginner's question, but I'd appreciate a pointer to enabling ethernet. The gui tools (sysadmin-config??) don't seem to be available.

I've also tried installing tiger vnc server (couldn't find tight vnc for fedora) and samba, but both fail, probably because there aren't arm5 versions out there. They're OK on the debian install.

D
by MBeentjes » Sun May 20, 2012 5:58 pm
I heard that Fedora wasn't fully trustable as a distro for Pi, am I right? Or is there a stable Fedora release for Pi now?
"Life is simple, you make choices and don't look back."
by stetilley » Sat May 26, 2012 7:31 pm
Hi guys,

been waiting ages and finally got my Raspberry Pi today and I'm really chuffed! However, I've run into a bit of a brick wall whilst using the Fedora 14 remix.

I'm having real trouble changing my screen resolution. When I go into the monitor settings the only choice is 1920 x 1080. Now, I had the exact same issue when using this monitor (it's actually an HDTV) with Windows and had to change the resolution in the nvidia settings manager to resolve this (turns out the correct resolution for this screen is 1842 x 1026).

I've looked through the forum, and found a possible solution involving creating a file called config.txt in the boot folder, but Fedora isn't letting me create this file (access denied), and when I try to run "sudo openbox" in terminal it tells me that my user (the only one on the system) is not on the list of sudoers, and that the incident has been reported :S

Anybody have any ideas? All help is greatly appreciated!
by nicknml » Sun May 27, 2012 1:52 pm
Pi-n-Mash wrote:I get those warnings on Fedora 14 in the qtonpi distro. I also have to enable ethernet each time, because I don't know how to enable it permanently. the qt wiki says to use "dhclient eth0" followed by "ifconfig -a" to find out the IP address, so you can ssh into the RPi.

No doubt this is an absolute beginner's question, but I'd appreciate a pointer to enabling ethernet. The gui tools (sysadmin-config??) don't seem to be available.

I've also tried installing tiger vnc server (couldn't find tight vnc for fedora) and samba, but both fail, probably because there aren't arm5 versions out there. They're OK on the debian install.

D

I've never been a fan of altering network setting using the GUI.

To enable Ethernet on boot there should be an /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file (not sure though as I don't have a pi to boot up QtonPi on). Open it with a text editor and add/modify the following lines:

ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
by nicknml » Sun May 27, 2012 3:02 pm
I just mounted in qtonpi image and the file does exist. (I hate the inability to edit posts)
by Pi-n-Mash » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:31 pm
nicknml wrote:I just mounted in qtonpi image and the file does exist. (I hate the inability to edit posts)

Just got back to this! Your answer is spot on - the ifcfg-eth0 file had ONBOOT=no, so I changed it to yes and the qtonpi image now boots up with ethernet enabled, and I can ssh to the RPi.

Now for bigger problems - getting qt to work, possibly getting wifi to work, samba, vnc etc :mrgreen:
by Pi-n-Mash » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:41 pm
Pi-n-Mash wrote:Now for bigger problems - getting qt to work, possibly getting wifi to work, samba, vnc etc :mrgreen:

But first of all, I've installed vi (vim) :D I can't stand nano and I've discovered that my fingers remember vi commands from ten or fifteen years ago, especially "." That's my favourite command of all time! [repeat last command]
by miguel_belbut » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:42 pm
stetilley wrote:Hi guys,

[snip...]
I'm having real trouble changing my screen resolution. When I go into the monitor settings the only choice is 1920 x 1080. Now, I had the exact same issue when using this monitor (it's actually an HDTV) with Windows and had to change the resolution in the nvidia settings manager to resolve this (turns out the correct resolution for this screen is 1842 x 1026).

I've looked through the forum, and found a possible solution involving creating a file called config.txt in the boot folder, but Fedora isn't letting me create this file (access denied), and when I try to run "sudo openbox" in terminal it tells me that my user (the only one on the system) is not on the list of sudoers, and that the incident has been reported :S

Going through dmesg (type dmesg|more), I noticed in the kernel command line two parameters bcm2708_fb.fbwidth=720 and bcm2708_fb.fbheight=576, so I added them to the file /boot/cmdline.txt, with the values I needed; it worked.
It seems fedora isn't using the file config.txt, unfortunately, since I don't know what are the kernel parameters for other config.txt options.
As for sudo, you may login as root, and also I think under X the regular user is prompted for the root password for administrative actions. Don't know if there is some way to start a file manager window as root, for instance.
Since ssh was working without any tweaking required, I just use ssh -X root@raspi in my laptop, and then launch gedit (runs on the raspi, but displays in my laptop's X session). This avoids the problem of misconfigured display, while allowing the use of graphical environment.
by cbegg50 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:34 pm
I followed the link for 'Other Linux - Python Source' as I run a Mac to create my Raspberry Pi distros and received the error

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Users/colin/Downloads/fedora-arm-installer-1.0.0 2/fedora-arm-installer", line 25, in <module>
from PyQt4 import QtGui
ImportError: No module named PyQt4
logout

How am I to install the distro to a SD card on my Mac?

Regards,
Colin Begg
by Bremenpl » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:15 am
Hey,
I got a question guys- I downloaded the installer for windows and when i refresh the device section, it cannot see my sd card. Do u know what could be the case?

Im using 8gb kingston sd card.
http://przenioslo.eu