Fedora 17 ARM

35 posts   Page 2 of 2   1, 2
by zardoz99 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:19 pm
rarebear wrote:The following nightly build just loops on starting display manager, display manager started, but it never actually starts the display.
f17arm-latest-arm-rpi-xfce-mmcblk0.img.xz 15-Jun-2012 04:04 573M

An earlier build worked much better
f17arm-20120613-230701-arm-rpi-xfce-mmcblk0.img.xz 14-Jun-2012 08:31 894M

Any idea why the huge differences in size?

Z
by rarebear » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:16 am
Thanks zardoz99. the "yum clean all" got me running. I have no guess on why the different ...img.xz files differ so much in size.

Using the install plan I posted earlier I got the latest nightly up and running. I used
f17arm-latest-arm-rpi-xfce-mmcblk0.img.xz 16-Jun-2012 10:58 613M which is really
f17arm-20120615-222727-arm-rpi-xfce-mmcblk0.img.xz 16-Jun-2012 10:58 613M

I installed via yum gedit, rhythmbox, and gstreameer-plugins-good. Still no sound out Raspberry Pi from either Pragha or Rhythmbox. gedit worked fine on a simple test. Firefox was back to version 12.0 and it worked sort of. It brought up my personal home page file but died on RaspberryPi.org. Over the course of four hours I had 3 crashes and a couple of lockups that I got out of without a boot. I am pretty sure that the sound problem is in the kernel driver since two different applications ran but were silent. X has some problems so you have to be gentle with it. Realize you are on a slow machine and wait before selecting a button with the mouse. I have seen button pushes get totally ignored but then work 15 seconds later.
by rarebear » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:31 am
I have used rpi-update to update the firmware and kernel. The system seems to runs fine. Acquired snd-bcm2835 from github. Tried to insmod it. Could not insert due to an unknown symbol. How do I acquire a sound driver (snd-bcm2835) that works with rpi Fedora 17 ARM using the latest firmware, kernel, and nightly build so I can continue to work on sound from Fedora 17 on Raspberry Pi. Still awfully quiet.

Also having problems adding my network printer, a HP 2420DN, to the rpi system. Fedora has released the ARM version of Fedora 17. The 2420DN runs well on my 64 bit Fedora 17 support system but it can't find a driver when I attempt to add a printer for rpi. Any ideas?
by rarebear » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:40 am
Got the HP2420DN printer running using hp-setup and hp-makeuri commands. Was unable to define the printer using only the administrative print application screens. Things are still quiet on the sound front.
by rarebear » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:26 am
Issues I am still working are sound and flash for firefox. The only code I can find for flash that is atom based is an android release. On sound side I have gotten this far.

[root@fedora-arm /]# alsactl init
Found hardware: "BRCM bcm2835 AL" "Broadcom Mixer" "" "" ""
Hardware is initialized using a generic method
[root@fedora-arm /]# amixer cset numid=3 1
ALSA lib pulse.c:243:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Connection refused
amixer: Control default open error: Connection refused
[root@fedora-arm /]# aplay /home/rgf/Music/track01.wav
ALSA lib pulse.c:243:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Connection refused
aplay: main:682: audio open error: Connection refused

So I have the snd-bcm2835 kernel module loaded and "alsactl init" seems to work but that is all. I have not tried a yum install of Pulse Audio. This post was composed on a Raspberry Pi running Fedora 17. My current build plan is some 34 steps and 32 of them worked.
by rarebear » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:20 pm
After several bad nightlies I used f17arm-20120704-230001-arm-rpi-xfce-mmcblk0.img.xz with the following build plan. System worked pretty well. Couldn't run all the yums in one step. I think it exceeded my paging space. The gnash stuff handled the flash files pretty well. The Pi didn't have enough horsepower to run the youtube I selected without breaks but it streamed off the internet pretty well. Firefox selected it's own plugin to handle a pdf document. Rhythmbox played a wave file quite well. An ogg file had static and several real problems. I guess I don't have the arm mp3 plugin yet. Pharga failed. amixer failed but I got the analog audio anyway. All in all it ran pretty well. Based on rootfs usage I think I will go back to a 2GB swap. With little memory you basically run off the SDcard and use memory as a big cache. The system ran eight hours with one unplanned reboot.

How to build a 8GB or larger SDcard with Fedora 17 for Raspberry Pi with
selinux disabled and a 1.5GB swap partition added on Fedora 17 support
system. Remember that the Raspberry Pi root password is "fedoraarm"
Substitute your "userid" for "rgf" in examples below.

1. Download ----.xz and ----.xz.sha256sum from
http://scotland.proximity.on.ca/arm-nightlies/
2. Run "sha256sum -c ----.xz.sha256sum" to verify download
3. Download by clicking "ZIP" at https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update
4. Select "File" then "Downloads" and right click rpi-update.zip selecting "Archive mounter" and copy README to Documents and rpi-update to Downloads
5. Run "su - root" to run as root on your support system and insert SDcard.
6. Run "cd /home/rgf/Downloads" cd to your Downloads directory
7. Run "xzcat ----.xz > /dev/???" write build image to SDcard
8. Run "sync" finish writing image to SDcard
9. Run "umount /dev/???" unmount the SDcard, remove it and re-insert it
9. Select "gparted" and allocate and format a 1.5GB swap area at the end
of the SDcard. Also resize rootfs on SDcard.
10. Run "cd /run/media/rgf/rootfs" to cd to SDcard rootfs
11. Run "gedit etc/selinux/config" and set the SDcard to "SELINUX=disabled"
12. Run "gedit etc/fstab" and add to the SDcard etc/fstab a new line
"/dev/mmcblk0p3 swap swap defaults 0 0"
13. Run "cp /home/rgf/Downloads/rpi-update usr/bin" to copy rpi-updte to SDcard.
14. Run "chmod +x usr/bin/rpi-update"
15. Run "cd /" stop using the SDcard
9. Run "umount /dev/???" unmount SDcard, insert it into Raspberry PI SD slot, and power-on.
16. logon as "guest" and select the default profile.
17. Add a new user (yourID) and add audio, jackusr,and video groups to it.
18. Start a terminal and "su - root" to run as root on Raspberry Pi
19. Run "swapon -s" and check for swap
20. Run "yum clean all"
21. Run "yum install git" (to allow rpi-update to work)
22. Run "rpi-update" (to update kernel and firmware)
23. Run "shutdown -H", cycle Pi power down, wait 10 sec, and then up and login (your userid)
24. Start a terminal and "su - root" to run as root
25. Run "yum install alsa*" (to install sound software)
26. Run "yum install gedit" (I don't care for vi)
27. Run "yum install rhythmbox" (prefer over Pharga)
28. Run "yum install hplip-gui" (for HP printer installs)
29. Run "yum install gnash" (flash display stuff"
30. Run "yum install ghostscript" (pdf postscript tool)
31. Run "modprobe snd-bcm2835" (to load kernel sound driver)
32. transfer music, pictures, and other user data to SDcard via a usb stick.
33. use Add/Remove software application to customize your system.
34. activate/run printer (for HP printers use hp-setup and hp-makeuri)
35. Run "gedit" to test it
36. Run "alsactl init" (to initialize sound system)
37. Run firefox (install homepage, run flash "The day the dollar died", browse a pdf file)
38. Run Pharga or Rhythmbox with ogg, mp3, and/or wav
by kermitas » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:14 pm
I used f17arm-20120717-004502-arm-rpi-xfce-mmcblk0.img .

After rpi-update and reboot green LED blik regular 6x, then very very short pause and 6x bliks. And bliks like that again and again.

HDMI motior is blak :(.
by kermitas » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:33 pm
kermitas wrote:I used f17arm-20120717-004502-arm-rpi-xfce-mmcblk0.img .

After rpi-update and reboot green LED blik regular 6x, then very very short pause and 6x bliks. And bliks like that again and again.

HDMI motior is blak :(.

OK, I read here http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting#Green_LED_blinks_in_a_specific_pattern that: 6 flashes: start.elf not launched.

So I put card into my laptop, I override start.elf and not it works :).
by AndrewHaley » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:47 am
I'm using the snapshot at raspberrypi-fedora-remix-17-test-003.img.gz.
It's looking pretty good, especially after setting
smsc95xx.turbo_mode=N in /boot/cmdline.txt. However, I can't get yum
to work: fedora.repo doesn't work, and fedora-remix.repo only contains
a few packages.

Where is the repo?

Thanks,
Andreew.
by gregjo » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:36 pm
That's odd what you are seeing about the repositories. I'm using the exact same image (test-003). I'm seeing the repositories. I did a "yum update" and 36 packages got updated. I installed a few other packages (like gparted), just to test it, and it worked fine.
By the way, this time around, I did not have to use the tweak in /boot/cmdline.txt (smsc95xx.turbo_mode=N)