root password

4 posts
by andyfal » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:06 pm
I'm an old guy playing with my new RPi. I've got it running on Debian squeezy and have looked at wheezy too, which looks promising. I've also installed a Belkin wireless adapter successfully. My issue is with downloading packages to see what does and does not work. I've got synaptic loaded but it insists on asking for the root password before doing anything interesting. I've tried:
1. using the default pi password of raspberry
2. adding a new user with administrative rights
nothing seems to work so where am I going wrong?
by rurwin » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:43 pm
The standard Debian way of doing things is to allow root logins and use su. The way the Raspberry Pi is setup is like Ubuntu; it uses sudo and does not allow root logins. The application that asks for your password is installed configured to use su. You need to change the configuration to use sudo.

The Wiki wrote:Some programs refuse to accept my password
While using Debian, some programs may ask for your password but refuse to accept a valid password.
This is a fault in some Debian images and will be fixed soon. If you are using an image with this fault, enter the following command on the command line.
Code: Select all
gconftool-2  --type bool  --set  /apps/gksu/sudo-mode  true

Please enter this command carefully, the spaces are important. The command should be accepted without any response or errors.

-- The Wiki
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by andyfal » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:12 pm
Thank you! This has solved my little problem..
by alidrongo » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:37 pm
This solution didn't work for me however this one did:

http://www.suppertime.co.uk/blogmywiki/ ... -pi-day-2/

Basically there is no root password set by default, you can add one by typing:

Code: Select all
sudo passwd root