Strange behavior on keyboard

12 posts
by Jacs » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:39 pm
Hi,

Got my pi today and hooked up a dell usb keyboard, booted up with debian os. Strange behavior appears with keyboard, sometime it just "hangs" like this pppppppppppiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii and its a pain to enter passwd and so since i dont know if passwd is correct so to say.
Same problem appears with a MS wireless 800 keyboard and mouse. Strange enough is if i manage to get in and start up "windows" it behaves almost without problem.

Have read all post that seems relevant here under debian with no luck.

Any1 that has some good input to guide me in the correct direction?

Regards
Jonas
by Nburnes » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:48 am
This sounds like an issue that happens when your keyboard is not getting enough power. http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... ey_presses

Also, the MS Wireless Keyboard 800 is shown to show issues as well.
by Jacs » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:36 am
Thx for the input and usb hub is on wishlist today.
by thelini » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:42 am
I would like to confirm power as a likely cause.

I got this on my apple keyboard when using a 750mAh charger. But once I switched to a 1000mAh charger the issue is gone.

Most likely best to get a USB Hub for the wireless dongle, take the strain off the Pi.
by OlDrunk » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:41 pm
I get the same issue from time to time when I plug in a USB pendrive to store data, currently running Debian Squeeze with most up to date stable firmware and Kernel and using a 1A PSU to power the RasPi. Going to pick up a powered Hub to see if it helps any.
by zog » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:10 pm
PLEASE SEE MY POSTS ON POWER SUPPLIES AND BLUETOOTH

Powersupplies - powering your pi correctly will solve your keyboard problem :)

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=6949&p=105046#p105046

More info on usb hub problems Blue about Bluetooth

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=8609&p=106710#p106710
by Jacs » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:43 am
Hi again,

Hub with 2.5A supply connected and problem where still there, only thing that worked better was the dell keyboard (that needed 1.2A) only. MS keyboard still has big problems. Tested MS keyboard on desktop ubuntu and it worked perfect.
by Chromatix » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:50 am
I find it hard to believe that power supply problems would cause a modern, high quality but minimal frills keyboard to malfunction in the ways I've seen.

My initial setup was with the keyboard and mouse connected to the "console" ports on my DVI KVM switch. This means that they are shared with several other computers, all of which have no trouble with them. The KVM switch is itself a powered hub as far as USB is concerned.

But even with the KVM switch connected via my Belkin powered hub (which itself is powering the R-Pi), or with the keyboard and mouse connected directly to said hub, the keyboard was consistently locking up occasionally at the console, and barely functioning at all in X11. Yet at any time I could switch to a Windows PC or my PowerMac G5, and they would have no trouble with this same hardware, still connected to the KVM.

Eventually I disconnected the desktop keyboard and mouse, and instead plugged in a wireless transceiver for a miniature keyboard, meant for HTPC use. Now the keyboard and mouse are reliable, albeit with the usual quirks this particular keyboard brings with it.

I only have a few USB keyboards. I should probably try the others when I get a chance.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.
by Jacs » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:57 pm
Looking at the small usb dongle that sends signal and it states 5v50mA so there should not be any problem. Still haven't tried after i got the hub is to plug dongle into card instead of hub. But that didn't help either so.

Test shall be done with the others OS that shall work with Raspberry.

//Jonas
by Killerbee » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:29 pm
I do not think it's an power issue.

With raspian I do not have this keyboard issue. :D
Wit standard debian (squeezeplug) I do have the kkkkeeeeeybooaarrd issue :(

Same kernel, firmware, hardware Logitech wireless K400 keyboard and sd card.
Firmware and kernel updated with rpi-update

KB
by Sutty » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:44 pm
I have the same problem. If I restart the Pi it goes away for a time. I've noticed today that by taking the keyboard out of the powered USB Hub and using the Pi USB the problem went away. I didn't need to restart. I'm waiting to see if this clears it up perminantly.
by Olavxxx » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:38 pm
Hello, I would just like to say that I have the same issue with my RPI with an Microsoft X4 keyboard (wired).
If I use the Logitech Dinovo Edge (with bluetooth dongle) everything is fine and dandy.

Don't know if this is due to the programmable keys or the backlit keys that draw too much current or somehow confuse the RPI :-)