blue about Bluetooth

7 posts
by zog » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:49 am
I can't get blue tooth to work on debian wheezy I have built bluez from scratch, d-bus, etc and it still doesn't work. How do I get blue tooth to work, I want to control my pi from other computers using bluetooth
by gory » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:38 am
Have you connected bluetooth adapter?
There is no built in BT!
by Richard_P » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:45 pm
zog wrote:I can't get blue tooth to work on debian wheezy I have built bluez from scratch, d-bus, etc and it still doesn't work. How do I get blue tooth to work, I want to control my pi from other computers using bluetooth

As the previous poster said, there is no inbuilt one. I plugged in an Advent MiniBT USB adapter, ran sudo apt-get install bluez.

Code: Select all
pi@raspberrypi:/etc$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)

pi@raspberrypi:/etc$ hcitool scan
Scanning ...
   00:0A:3A:27:08:A1   BT GPS
pi@raspberrypi:/etc$

it found my BT-GPS adapter.

Richard
by zog » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:39 pm
I have tried two different blue tooth adapters connected into a powered hub. May be I should try a different image of wheezy. I know there is no on board usb - I know the blue tooth adapter I tried worked with squeeze on x86.

I am using the minimal image of wheezy built by darkbasic, which I then installed lxde on.
by zog » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:57 pm
I have finally figured out how to get bluetooth working. However the solution is surprising and it points to bug in the usb software stack, or even the usb hardware. I connected my blue tooth device into a powered usb hub making the assumption that a blue tooth radio is likely to draw to much current from the pi. The bluetooth device ( a cambridge silicon radio micro usb device ) malfunctioned , and wouldn't go into an upstate until I moved my usb keyboard from the powered usb hub to one of the ports on the ras-pi. Removing the keyboard from the hub allowed the bluetooth dongle to start up and go into the upstate from boot up. I also have an optical mouse plugged into the powered hub. With the blue tooth dongle on and flashing on starting x-windows using startx command loads the desktop, but after start up the mouse pointer is frozen. The only way to unfreeze the mouse pointer is to unplug the usb mouse and plug it back in again. The bug is totally replicable however I will try a different key board tommorow.

Jack
by SN » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:28 pm
Richard_P wrote:
zog wrote:I can't get blue tooth to work on debian wheezy I have built bluez from scratch, d-bus, etc and it still doesn't work. How do I get blue tooth to work, I want to control my pi from other computers using bluetooth

As the previous poster said, there is no inbuilt one. I plugged in an Advent MiniBT USB adapter, ran sudo apt-get install bluez.

Code: Select all
pi@raspberrypi:/etc$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)

pi@raspberrypi:/etc$ hcitool scan
Scanning ...
   00:0A:3A:27:08:A1   BT GPS
pi@raspberrypi:/etc$

it found my BT-GPS adapter.

Richard

I picked a 'Livewire' one up in Poundland for... strangely just a £1 - shows up as the same device under lsusb
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?
by richtoy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:58 am
These USB issues are a real nuisance :( I am using a supported 10 port USB hub (3.5A supply) with separate 800mA supply for the Pi and I cannot get either a USB bluetooth adaptor or a USB wifi adaptor (Netgear WN111v2) to work from boot if the USB keyboard is connected during the boot. Neither will they work together but both will work individually.

I suspect the issue is linked to this https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/19

There is more discussion here http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=5249&start=25

and there is even a mention on The Register http://forums.theregister.co.uk/post/1438746

Hard evidence with code that reproduces the packet loss has been sent and many are waiting for some kind of feedback. Does anybody know if the USB issue is being worked on.