Help test the next Debian image (wheezy)

444 posts   Page 12 of 18   1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 18
by RaTTuS » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:01 pm
I've just installed this and it all went OK [mostly]
installation was fine
configuring the sshd setup broke [as has been mentioned]
rebooted all ok
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y gnomad2 uptimed git
was happy
sudo apt-get upgrade
I'll have a better play later this week but looking good [not that I use X ATM but that will come ]
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
by rickstone » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:52 pm
I've been trying to run this for the past two days, but at the first boot I get a screen full of text (no obvious errors) with a last line of "more>". I can't do anything. I waited 20 minutes, nothing happened. I tried two different keyboards, can't affect anything. Tried two different SD cards (that both work with other distros) and the same result. Tried two different power supplies as well as two different Pis and every combination with the same result.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
by kag » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:04 pm
Hi,

I am not able to connect my usb drive to the rpi. The hard drive led is lit and all other usb peripherals work. I can see that there is a /dev/sda1 but when trying to mount it the get an error regarding incorrect block device. When issuing
Code: Select all
fdisk-l
I can only see the sd card partitions. The disk is a Verbatim 500 GB. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do? The disk works fine with my Ubuntu 12.04 laptop.

/Anders
by dliloch » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:26 pm
the upgrade is much better that the one in april.. I just got the pi yesterday and I find it really easy to use. will there be much difference between class 10 and class 4 SD?
Also I was amazed at how long I was able to run off my duacell lithium battery pack!
I am using a wireless logitech K400 and I have not been able to configure it correctly using the
raspi-config. It sort of keeps going in a loop if I select ok .. so I have to cancel out..
so I think my keyboard is UK not US .. I get a tilde ~ rather than a |...
by dliloch » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:27 pm
Does this release offload the xserver to the GPU???
by jojopi » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:42 pm
rickstone wrote:I've been trying to run this for the past two days, but at the first boot I get a screen full of text (no obvious errors) with a last line of "more>".
Sounds like you may be entering the kernel debugger. Can you try to get a picture of the screen full of text?
by asb » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:46 pm
jeffhaddow wrote:When I run python programs that need the module "pygame" in the programme environment "Idle3" it cannot find the module, however if I run it in the "idle" it does. (it also works in Geany which I have installed)

Yes, there is currently no python3-pygame package. I'd love it if someone would create one (a proper, Debian packaging standards compliant package that is). Would be helpful to the Raspbian community too.
by asb » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:47 pm
kag wrote:Hi,

I am not able to connect my usb drive to the rpi. The hard drive led is lit and all other usb peripherals work. I can see that there is a /dev/sda1 but when trying to mount it the get an error regarding incorrect block device. When issuing
Code: Select all
fdisk-l
I can only see the sd card partitions. The disk is a Verbatim 500 GB. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do? The disk works fine with my Ubuntu 12.04 laptop.

/Anders

I'd suggest you check `dmesg` for relevant messages.
by asb » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:47 pm
dliloch wrote:Does this release offload the xserver to the GPU???

No, no X acceleration yet I'm afraid.
by dukla2000 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:38 pm
Installed and runs fine for me. Avoided the SSH options but tinkered with most of the others on first boot with no major trauma.
Resize on second boot took a long time (16Gb card), apt-get update took a while, upgrade even longer but appreciate these are nothing to do with the beta, just a fact.
Looks good - roll on the Raspbian version!
And my thanks & admiration to those involved.
by Lob0426 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:59 am
Wheezy seems to be running fine. I am trying to. Install chromium. Synaptic and apt states dependency=chromium. Refuses to install due to held broken packages. I have tried:
Update
Upgrade
Dist-upgrade
Install -f
Clean
Autoclean
Autoremove
Dpkg --configure -a
Without any real change in errors. What have I missed? Tried letting synaptic find broken broken dependencies also. No luck
sudo apt-get install chromium-browser. Same errors.
Back-powered 256MB as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with 512MB
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!
by rickstone » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:23 am
jojopi wrote:
rickstone wrote:I've been trying to run this for the past two days, but at the first boot I get a screen full of text (no obvious errors) with a last line of "more>".
Sounds like you may be entering the kernel debugger. Can you try to get a picture of the screen full of text?

Not with an attachment limit of 32k or whatever it is on this forum.

I was able to get the original Debian image up, but now it won't boot. Was able to get a Raspbmc image up (RC2 AND RC3) but with the DDos problems they're having I can't get THAT to boot any longer.

I can't understand what the what is with the Pi. I've tried everything I can think of...power supplies, SD cards, etc.
by KenT » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:34 am
chromium-browser is not in the wheezy repository yet
Pi Presents - A display package for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com
by HerrMaulwurf » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:21 am
My "Noname" wireless mouse/keyboard combo produces the "Sticky Key" problem using the current Debian "wheezy" image. The same mouse/keyboard combo works like a charm on the "squeeze" image without any sticky keys.

Besides that, I don't have any problems with the new image.
by chaz » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:49 pm
is there a build environment? need to run a make fur wifi driver
tnx
by thekeywordgeek » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:04 pm
I think this is the right place to post this, as it's on the latest Wheezy beta and it looks to me like an OS issue rather than a software one.

I am getting a "Can not open /dev/mem" error when calling the svgalib Bochs extension (don't ask... :) ). Googling suggets it's likely to be a function of the kernel rather than of Bochs or SVGAlib. Can anyone shed any light on the problem perchance?
by asb » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:18 pm
thekeywordgeek wrote:I think this is the right place to post this, as it's on the latest Wheezy beta and it looks to me like an OS issue rather than a software one.

I am getting a "Can not open /dev/mem" error when calling the svgalib Bochs extension (don't ask... :) ). Googling suggets it's likely to be a function of the kernel rather than of Bochs or SVGAlib. Can anyone shed any light on the problem perchance?

I expect this is failing because CONFIG_STRICT_DEVMEM is enabled in our kernel (which is the case for all kernel configs commonly used by distributions these days).
by leon_heller » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:37 pm
rickstone wrote:I've been trying to run this for the past two days, but at the first boot I get a screen full of text (no obvious errors) with a last line of "more>". I can't do anything. I waited 20 minutes, nothing happened. I tried two different keyboards, can't affect anything. Tried two different SD cards (that both work with other distros) and the same result. Tried two different power supplies as well as two different Pis and every combination with the same result.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I was getting the same problem, it was caused by an incompatible keyboard which I'd bought from my local computer shop. I received a Trust ClassicLine keyboard (mentioned on the Wiki as being suitable) from Rapid Electronics this morning, and that fixed the problem. My local Asda has some £5 keyboards that are also supposed to work OK.
Leon Heller
G1HSM
by ren41 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:51 pm
My local Asda has some £5 keyboards that are also supposed to work OK.

They certainly work fine with the squeeze distro.

ren
by pjc123 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:02 pm
I do not know if this has been asked, but does rpi-update work with Wheezy, and if so is it recommended to do this once in a while to keep things up to date (or is this asking for problems, breaking things that previously worked, and it should only be run to fix an actual problem that you need a workaround or fix for)?
by dom » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:42 pm
In general, there is always a risk rpi-update will break something. So only run it if you have a problem, or want to help with testing.

The firmware in Wheezy is installed as a Debian package, so a normal "apt-get upgrade" can update the firmware.
The plan is to update this less frequently than the firmware in rpi-update, so it should be more stable (but you don't get fixes quite as soon).
by Sander » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:08 am
timh wrote:
- I'm seeing the same issue exiting x windows as I think someone else has reported. On around 1 in 4 occasions I don't get the shell prompt back - just a black screen which doesn't respond to a Ctrl C, D, \ or anything else that might be expected to kill a hung process. A power cycle is the only way out I've found so far.

Tim.

Can your press ALT - F2 or ALT - F3? It should give you another terminal.
by KenT » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:12 am
Sander wrote:
timh wrote:
- I'm seeing the same issue exiting x windows as I think someone else has reported. On around 1 in 4 occasions I don't get the shell prompt back - just a black screen which doesn't respond to a Ctrl C, D, \ or anything else that might be expected to kill a hung process. A power cycle is the only way out I've found so far.

Tim.

Can't even ssh in.
Enable ctrl-alt-backspace in the keyboard menu of raspi-config (last submenu). I'm finding it a reliable way to exit the desktop.
Pi Presents - A display package for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com
by pjc123 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:44 am
dom wrote:In general, there is always a risk rpi-update will break something. So only run it if you have a problem, or want to help with testing.

The firmware in Wheezy is installed as a Debian package, so a normal "apt-get upgrade" can update the firmware.
The plan is to update this less frequently than the firmware in rpi-update, so it should be more stable (but you don't get fixes quite as soon).

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for. It is similar to the way you would treat a personal computer's BIOS.
by DavidMS » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:26 am
timh wrote:

Is there going to be a fix for this, it still seems to be a problem - looking at blank screen as I type this !