Help test the next Debian image (wheezy)

444 posts   Page 11 of 18   1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 18
by dom » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:21 pm
truehl wrote:Sound very good, but I'm not sure I understood all steps in the right way. Is it right that I can do this from existing RPi with Wheezy?

It's not designed for that. You should use a linux machine. I used Ubuntu installed inside VirtualBox on a Windows PC.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by Montala » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:22 pm
By gum... that was an ultra fast reply.

Netsurf was the one I was trying to remember, which I thought was quite good actually.

Thanks again, dom.
by SN » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:50 pm
Correct. Dillo is a bit too chopped back for me, but netsurf looks quite usable.
I am also seeing stability with wheezy as compared to squeeze. Have pi R1 permanently station behind main TV now with this - swmbo hasn't noticed but she will get an LXDE shaped shock if she accidentally selects HDMI port 2 on the TV remote. . . 8-)
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?
by dom » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:57 pm
Dillo is very quick to launch and browse but it is very basic. It was included mainly for reading the Debian html documentation.
by pmk » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:17 pm
Got it up and running really quickly and much faster than squeeze ......

Have a couple of questions:

Is the 1-wire support included in this release, if so which GPIO pin does it use ?

Can OWFS be loaded ?
by Zeek20 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:10 pm
Hello, I've been trying to boot Wheezy, but with no luck it refuses to boot, the green LED stays off and the red LED stays solid. All I get is the Raspberry Pi logo showing up and the cursor coming up and disappearing.

Is there actually something it does during the first boot in the background or is it just not booting? I mean I don't even get any console output. Mind you, squeezy worked just fine after I updated the firmware, I had it playing quake 3 and everything. I've tried all kinds of different ways of trying to get it to boot, and I have been searching through the forums....

I have a Sandisk 16GB Class 10 Ultra. Using composite video and I have .7ma of power going to it with just the USB keyboard plugged in.
by thexman » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:40 am
This release still has the same USB issues with packet losses so nothing new there

Can we get a decent web browser please Mindori and net surf don't allow some of the browser Add ons would love chromium please
one armed controls engineer, my grammar is bad but lets face it most keyboards don't suit a one armed man
by atemunro » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:51 pm
I have today downloaded the new version. I placed it onto an 8gb SD card.

The only problem I had during the first boot was trying to use the SSH enable/disable. I think it hung and I had to use Ctl C to exit it. I successfully used the option to extend the partition and do the Timezone correction.

Also I cannot seem to find the field in Midori to enter the URL. If I edit a Speed Dial tile then it works. The Netsurf works for me - but its rendering is not perfect yet.

I have placed the procedures I used at http://www.munroweb.net:180/Setting%20u ... Joomla.htm

I have to say that it does seem to be pretty fast :D , especially as I am using it on a slower card.
by Alkarex » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:56 pm
I have been informed today that my Raspberry Pi was full open due to remote SSH access being enabled by default for root with the default password.

I would suggest to disable remote SSH root access in /etc/ssh/sshd_config with "PermitRootLogin no" (like Ubuntu does I think?).

This, especially since the documentations here and there, and even the raspi-config tool highlights the need to change the password for the "pi" user, but not mention to the root.

Cordially
by asb » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:12 pm
Alkarex wrote:I have been informed today that my Raspberry Pi was full open due to remote SSH access being enabled by default for root with the default password.

I would suggest to disable remote SSH root access in /etc/ssh/sshd_config with "PermitRootLogin no" (like Ubuntu does I think?).

This, especially since the documentations here and there, and even the raspi-config tool highlights the need to change the password for the "pi" user, but not mention to the root.

In the default configuration it is not possible to log in as root as it doesn't have a password set.

(PS sorry I've been quiet the past few days - I'm back from travelling now and will update on various issues tomorrow).
by timh » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:22 pm
I've been using this image since the day after it became available for download. It seems to be a big improvement on the previous release - certainly from a responsiveness perspective.

I've had two problems since I've been using it:

- I'm seeing the same issue exiting x windows as I think someone else has reported. On around 1 in 4 occasions I don't get the shell prompt back - just a black screen which doesn't respond to a Ctrl C, D, \ or anything else that might be expected to kill a hung process. A power cycle is the only way out I've found so far.

- I'm also seeing the keyboard 'bounce' problem too (in X, using SPE) but not very often. I've only 2 USB devices (a cheap Asda wired keyboard and mouse) connected, but they are both plugged into the same USB port via a cheap 4-way USB (unpowered) hub. I'm going to remove this from my config for the next couple of days and use the two on board ports directly to see if this resolves it (I'm aware of the potential power supply issues), but I didn't experience the issue under the same circumstances with the squeeze release.

Otherwise, very happy with the beta and I'll be sticking with it rather than reverting to the squeeze release. Thanks for your efforts with this so far.

Tim.
by Lob0426 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:59 pm
Ok so I had a SanDisk Ultra 8GB class 6 that had appeared to die. I just put wheezy on it. Now the stupid card has decided to work. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thought the card was toast.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with 512MB
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!
by Lob0426 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:55 pm
The Wheezy image does not appear to have swapfile. I am creating one at 256MB
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with 512MB
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!
by sporez » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:33 am
I am trying to get wheezy up and running but I keep getting this error when running 'sudo apt-get update'

Code: Select all
W: Failed to fetch http://http.debian.net/debian/dists/wheezy/main/binary-armel/PackagesIndex  MD5Sum mismatch

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Any ideas on how to fix this?
by Alkarex » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:38 am
sporez wrote:I am trying to get wheezy up and running but I keep getting this error when running 'sudo apt-get update'

W: Failed to fetch http://http.debian.net/debian/dists/wheezy/main/binary-armel/PackagesIndex  MD5Sum mismatch

Try to change your sources to your local mirror, best in FTP:

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

and use e.g. for France:

ftp://ftp.fr.debian.org
by sporez » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:46 am
Alkarex wrote:
sporez wrote:I am trying to get wheezy up and running but I keep getting this error when running 'sudo apt-get update'

Try to change your sources to your local mirror, best in FTP:

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

and use e.g. for France:

ftp://ftp.fr.debian.org

Thank you for the quick reply! Changing it to ftp://ftp.us.debian.org seems to have worked! :)
by SupremeSpod » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:01 am
Lob0426 wrote:The Wheezy image does not appear to have swapfile. I am creating one at 256MB

Hi, I noticed this too, I assumed that one was created by default.

What is the situation regarding a "swapfile" or "Partition" on Wheezy?

Apologies if my question appears stupid.
by asb » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:03 am
SupremeSpod wrote:
Lob0426 wrote:The Wheezy image does not appear to have swapfile. I am creating one at 256MB

Hi, I noticed this too, I assumed that one was created by default.

What is the situation regarding a "swapfile" or "Partition" on Wheezy?

Apologies if my question appears stupid.

It has a swapfile, which is created and managed by dphys-swapfile. See `man dphys-swapfile` for how to enabled, disable and configure.
by pjc123 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:04 pm
I really like this new Debian version, but I am having problems getting the system to shut down properly. The system hangs intermittently during a "shutdown -h now" command with the LED lights on so I have to pull the plug. For obvious reasons this eventually corrupted my install and I have to reimage today. Is there a reliable way to shutdown or reboot the system? This may not be related to wheezy as I see similar complaints with the squeeze version.
My Project Website:
http://www.flaminghellmet.com/
by asb » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:36 pm
pjc123 wrote:I really like this new Debian version, but I am having problems getting the system to shut down properly. The system hangs intermittently during a "shutdown -h now" command with the LED lights on so I have to pull the plug. For obvious reasons this eventually corrupted my install and I have to reimage today. Is there a reliable way to shutdown or reboot the system? This may not be related to wheezy as I see similar complaints with the squeeze version.

I'm not convinced this in itself should lead to image corruption. The root filesystem should have been unmounted at this point, so pulling the plug should be safe.
by pjc123 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:25 pm
asb wrote:I'm not convinced this in itself should lead to image corruption. The root filesystem should have been unmounted at this point, so pulling the plug should be safe.

The problem is that I do not know what has been completed after issuing a shutdown command, including the unmounting of the filesystems, because the screen goes blank (I am in the init 5 gui state). I am going to start running a sync command before the shutdown from now on to help the situation. I am reimaging after this post, so I am going to see if there are any messages in the logs.
My Project Website:
by Genius23008 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:24 am
Used Debian Wheezy on my PC a while ago, but since I haven't got my Pi yet I'm just saying pretty much anything. So there are no specific graphics acceleration driver yet? Does that mean that performance in graphics terms the Pi isn't faster? Also, after seeing Gentoo in action on the Pi I'm surprised by the speed!
by OMightyBuggy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:36 am
No idea of how much of a noob question this is, but can you add the option of changing the user name on first boot on later images or update?

I used the command 'sudo usermod -l Blah pi' and I get a error saying the process is being used.
by jeffhaddow » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:40 am
A few points about the wheezy set up, which is altogether more rounded than the squeeze.

I see that the problem with the usb hub killing the ethernet cable connection has not yet been solved with wheezy. I hope that this will be addressed with the Alpha version?

When I run python programs that need the module "pygame" in the programme environment "Idle3" it cannot find the module, however if I run it in the "idle" it does. (it also works in Geany which I have installed)

I do miss the fancy screen savers of the squeeze.

Also I find it a less open system -- one point is that there is no "Other" catagory in the startup menu.

All the best
Jeff
by pjc123 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:39 am
After re-imaging my wheezy install, the shutdown problem went away; something was corrupt.
My Project Website: