Help test the next Debian image (wheezy)

444 posts   Page 10 of 18   1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 18
by paoleary » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:30 am
Thanks for adding the staging drivers and wireless firmware! I picked up a clearance Belkin N150 (F9L1001; Realtek RTL8188SU) from Wal-Mart, and spent a fair amount of yesterday evening trying to get it working--I already had a 3.1.9 kernel built under squeeze, but it was still more trouble than I'd liked. Same hardware works great on this image out of the box. And SSH, IPv6, and DHCP hostname enabled by default to boot.

I was unable to set locale or timezone during raspi-config on first boot--I'm not sure what could have gone wrong on a flash image, and it appears to have worked for others. If there's something I can check there let me know and I can flash another card. dpkg-reconfigure for both locale and tzdata worked fine on a subsequent boot. Also, `reboot` after exiting raspi-config also failed to complete--I apologize for not getting detailed notes, but I did see it was after init had killed all other processes, so it failed pretty late. That has also been fine on subsequent reboots.
by SteveDee » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:44 am
Just loaded the new Wheezy image to an 8GB Sandisk that previously ran OK with Arch, and I'm having boot problems:-
[FAIL] startpar: service(s) returned failure: dbus...failed
INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

...and after 5mins I get the respawning message again.

I see in inittab:-
#1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty --noclear 38400 tty1 # RPICFG_TO_ENABLE
1:2345:respawn:/bin/login -f root tty1 </dev/tty1 >/dev/tty1 2>&1 # RPICFG_TO_DISABLE

...so may try the enable option before blowing away the image and starting again...unless someone has a better idea?
by asb » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:47 am
SteveDee wrote:Just loaded the new Wheezy image to an 8GB Sandisk that previously ran OK with Arch, and I'm having boot problems:-
[FAIL] startpar: service(s) returned failure: dbus...failed
INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

...and after 5mins I get the respawning message again.

I see in inittab:-
#1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty --noclear 38400 tty1 # RPICFG_TO_ENABLE
1:2345:respawn:/bin/login -f root tty1 </dev/tty1 >/dev/tty1 2>&1 # RPICFG_TO_DISABLE

...so may try the enable option before blowing away the image and starting again...unless someone has a better idea?

Someone else had the exact same issue. The problem was they had filesystem corruption because they didn't use 'sync' after writing the SD card image. https://github.com/asb/spindle/issues/69
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by SteveDee » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:37 am
asb wrote:
Someone else had the exact same issue. The problem was they had filesystem corruption because they didn't use 'sync' after writing the SD card image. https://github.com/asb/spindle/issues/69

Thanks asb, I had no idea that sync was required.

Can I also ask if you have plans to include the driver em28xx which I need for my EzCap USB capture device?
by basst85 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:50 am
My WiFi USB dongle (ZyDAS ZD1211B 802.11g) is working, but only for a few minutes.
After 5 minutes or sow it disconnects the USB device, it seems.

What can be the problem? Maybe it has something to do with some kind of "power management"?
by markyd » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:13 am
Great effort and a great improvement over the Squeeze initial release, like the raspi-config at initial boot but I did have issue with the ssh select lockup (this is a known bug I think) and due to issues last night with what looks like my Polyfuses I went straight to the GUI and left the rest alone this morning to ensure it was stable.

Also like the config file being there populated with remed out options, including overclocking (oh dangerous) so was easy to edit the overscan border prior to booting it up.

Its been on two hours now and is stable, doing an sudo apt-get update & upgrade then going to try and browse the netwrok, or get it sorted. My first attempt by adding the usual lines to /etc/fstab did not work :-(

//ntserver/docs /mnt/samba smbfs username=docsadm,password=D1Y4x9sw 0 0

Even created the /mnt/samba directories manually (dont have to in Lubunbtu) and still nothing, any ideas? This actually did work in Squeeze but cant remember if I Ioaded anything else to enable it .. old age you see.

So far though top job :-)
by darkwombat » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:14 pm
markyd wrote:Great effort and a great improvement over the Squeeze initial release, like the raspi-config at initial boot but I did have issue with the ssh select lockup (this is a known bug I think) and due to issues last night with what looks like my Polyfuses I went straight to the GUI and left the rest alone this morning to ensure it was stable.

Also like the config file being there populated with remed out options, including overclocking (oh dangerous) so was easy to edit the overscan border prior to booting it up.

Its been on two hours now and is stable, doing an sudo apt-get update & upgrade then going to try and browse the netwrok, or get it sorted. My first attempt by adding the usual lines to /etc/fstab did not work :-(

//ntserver/docs /mnt/samba smbfs username=docsadm,password=D1Y4x9sw 0 0

Even created the /mnt/samba directories manually (dont have to in Lubunbtu) and still nothing, any ideas? This actually did work in Squeeze but cant remember if I Ioaded anything else to enable it .. old age you see.

So far though top job :-)

I have just mapped my windows shares with no issues at all. It seems that you have to specify cifs rather than smbfs and it all just seems to work.
I used the following in fstab:
//tsmini/public /home/pi/tsMiniShares/Public cifs username=guest,password=,workgroup=workgroup,auto,gid=1000,uid=1000,dir_mode=0775,file_mode=0664 0 0

Works fine.

And must agree, top job so far.
by SteveDee » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:10 pm
I created a simple share on RPi so I could access my motion video files from my Lubuntu laptop.

I started with the approach I use for Lubuntu (here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ight=samba) by installing:-
* samba
* gvfs-bin
* gvfs-backends
...but I couldn't install system-config-samba

...so on the RPi I manually added this section to the smb.conf:-
[motion]
path = /home/pi/motion
writeable = yes
guest ok = yes

Then I set the motion directory permissions for "Other" to Read & Write
by SteveDee » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:17 pm
I seem to be having a problem with VNC.

My tried & trusted method is to run the server like this:-
x11vnc -forever -display :0

...and then use Remmina or Vinagre on a remote machine. Its always worked, including Squeeze on RPi.

But on Wheezy when I remotely use Vinagre I get a very distorted (tall, but very narrow) grey-scale image of the RPi desktop.

And using Remmina, if the RPi display has blanked, I get a black window on Remmina (as expected), but this collapses and the connection is closed as soon as I wake up the RPi display.

Any ideas?
by truehl » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:09 pm
Hi,
great work! It’s the first stable Wheezy version I’ve seen on RPi, thx for that! Is there a possibility to get a “clean” image without any x-Stuff, something like a Debian minimal installation?

Thanks a lot,
Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de
by stevep » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:13 pm
Issue 1:

No task bar, start menu etc when logging in as 'pi' and running startx

Code: Select all
Openbox Syntax Error
One or more XML syntax errors were found while parsing the Openbox configuration files. See stdout for more information. The last error seen was in file "/home/pi/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml"line 1, with message: Start tag expected, '<' not found

Opened the lxde-rc.xml file and it was empty. Copied the file from the other user I have set up, and rebooted - again no task bar/start menu etc. Looked at the .xsession-errors file and it says:
Code: Select all
Openbox Message: Unable to find a valid menu file "/usr/share/lxde/openbox/menu.xml"
pcmanfm: fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

In fact not only is there no menu.xml file, there is no openbox folder either.

I can log in as user2 and run startx ok.

Compared these 2 files from the two users: /home/pi/.config/lxpanel/LXDE/panels/panel, and /home/pi/.config/lxpanel/LXDE/config, both text documants. In pi's case both were 0 bytes, and in user2's case they were 2kb and 81kb respectively. Copied the user2 files to pi and rebooted, logged in as pi and ran startx, this time with a normal gui.

Issue 2:

Logging out of the gui from either user will close the gui the display then goes blank. I'm not sure how far down the logout process it has gone, and the only option is to disconnect the power. On rebooting, logged in as pi and ran startx, no apparent ill-effects. Any idea on where the relevant error log might be and what I should look out for?
by pjc123 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:41 pm
I just installed the wheezy image on my Transcend TS16GSDHC6 and my read speed running "hdparm -t /dev/mmcblk0" went from 4.40 MB/s on "squeeze" to 18.30 MB/sec on "wheezy".......Woohooo. Everything runs much more snappy; I am not going back unless there is a showstopper bug.
by Dandapani » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:10 pm
Again, will this Beta be upgradable to the final release or will we need to install it again?

When will the final release be made available?

Wheezy is so much faster it is compelling to stay on it even in Beta form than revert to the previous release, but I don't want to get too far ahead of myself in setting it up like I did on the first release which is now abandoned.

TIA
by atek3 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:21 am
Anyone gotten any other devices besides the BCM chip talking to ALSA?
by Lob0426 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:35 am
I like the addition of a setup menu. The resizing is really going to help those that do not have a linux system. seems to be running fine. I did run into one problem in the setup menu. The keyboard configuration is not working in my setup menu.
Why not add rpi-update to the image?

good work
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with 512MB
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!
by pjc123 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:52 am
Dandapani wrote:Again, will this Beta be upgradable to the final release or will we need to install it again?

When will the final release be made available?

Wheezy is so much faster it is compelling to stay on it even in Beta form than revert to the previous release, but I don't want to get too far ahead of myself in setting it up like I did on the first release which is now abandoned.

TIA

The x86 version of Debian Wheezy will not be finalized until early 2013, so I am guessing that the raspberry pi developers would follow that schedule as well. I am concerned about losing all my work as well, and would like to be able to keep updating my current wheezy beta install until the final release. I am documenting all my changes, as I always do, so it would not be a total disaster to recreate everything, just a lot of very tedious work.
by jojopi » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:33 pm
On a slightly related note, I see that the wheezy spindle release is not mentioned on the main download page. Is this an oversight or is the foundation waiting for it to come out of beta or for some initial feedback?

It seems a mistake to continue to promote the old squeeze-based image for long when it has so many more known issues.
by typhoon » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:58 pm
It's not on the main download page, but it's on the nnews page, maybe some post after the newer ones.
It was first the day of release.
by tomslominski » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:04 pm
Hi. I've managed to reproduce the problem above two times, both from a fresh install from the latest wheezy build. Basically, I've set the timezone and enabled ssh to boot by default (sudo update-rc.d ssh defaults) and then connected my Raspberry Pi to power and ethernet. While all works fine when it's connected to my TV (USB keyboard, HDMI cable, power), the Raspberry Pi is unable to boot. It just shows up a red light on the power LED. I've tried running it without anything connected, but that doesn't work either. When I've tried connecting it to my TV again, it just showed up some colourful noise.
Guest blogger for Ohso
Zone controller for Larks in the Park

InRealLife takes us on a journey from the bedrooms of British teenagers to the world of Silicon Valley, to find out what exactly the internet is doing to our kids. Released on 20th September.
by truehl » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:31 pm
truehl wrote:Hi,
great work! It’s the first stable Wheezy version I’ve seen on RPi, thx for that! Is there a possibility to get a “clean” image without any x-Stuff, something like a Debian minimal installation?

No one able to answer?
truehl
by dom » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:42 pm
Dandapani wrote:Again, will this Beta be upgradable to the final release or will we need to install it again?

The hope is that any updates will be provided as updates to packages, so an "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" will get you the next release.
However as this is beta, there could be issues that require some manual fixing, or even a new image.

The best plan is to keep all your user data in /home/pi (or your username if you change that) and back it up regularly. Keep a record of any packages you install or any configuration tweaks you make.
Then you should be able to move to another image without too much pain.
by dom » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:44 pm
truehl wrote:

No one able to answer?

Read the README here:
https://github.com/asb/spindle

You can build your own image. If you stop at stage 3 you will have a much smaller image without X. Or wait for someone else to do it and publish the image.
by truehl » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:55 pm
dom wrote:
truehl wrote:

No one able to answer?

Read the README here:
https://github.com/asb/spindle

You can build your own image. If you stop at stage 3 you will have a much smaller image without X. Or wait for someone else to do it and publish the image.

Sound very good, but I'm not sure I understood all steps in the right way. Is it right that I can do this from existing RPi with Wheezy?

Or a little more concret: Could someone, who is able to understand all steps post a step by step guide for that?

Thanks a lot!

Greetings,
Thomas
truehl
by Montala » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:17 pm
I don't have access to my Raspberry Pi at the moment, but I would appreciate it if someone could give me the names of the two alternative web browsers (besides Midori) in the new Wheezy beta.

Thanks! :)
by dom » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:18 pm
Montala wrote:I don't have access to my Raspberry Pi at the moment, but I would appreciate it if someone could give me the names of the two alternative web browsers (besides Midori) in the new Wheezy beta.

Thanks! :)

I think it includes netsurf and dillo.