Help test the next Debian image (wheezy)

444 posts   Page 9 of 18   1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 18
by MrEngman » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:15 pm
Just tried the beta. Running the initialisation graphics selected re-size partition, ok, changed memory split, ok, tried to enable SSH and it hung. Tried with a second new image and the same.
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra
by grumpyoldgit » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:19 pm
I can't get the ssh on/off to work in raspi-config. On the initial boot the screen just seems to hang there with a cursor appearing at the bottom of the menu. Subsequent selections of the option clear the menu from the screen and you have to press ctrl-c to break out. That's my experience anyway.
by asb » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:20 pm
MrEngman wrote:Just tried the beta. Running the initialisation graphics selected re-size partition, ok, changed memory split, ok, tried to enable SSH and it hung. Tried with a second new image and the same.

Yes, that's a silly bug I introduced and failed to notice. I screwed up a change to raspi-config regarding ssh config. SSH is enabled by default, but using the menu option to try to disable it currently won't work (ctrl-c to get back to the raspi-config menu). I'll push out a new raspi-config version that you'll be able to upgrade to later today (with apt-get update && apt-get upgrade). Of course, you can still enable/disable ssh directly in the traditional Debian way.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by iDaemon » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:37 pm
Just wanted to give some positive feedback. As a linux /Debian noob i've been learning things the hard way with Squeeze -and this Wheezy distro is much better. I've been struggling to get an IDLE for Python3, and the whole first impression is much better for kids/noobs. Making a point of having desktop icons for games and Python 2 and 3 and Scratch remind people of the main aims of the Pi project - and moves it a small step away from the whole computer buff masochism, CLI or die approach.

I know the Pi's we have are for development, and learning the hard way is often the best way, but I just thought it might be useful to have a small voice of "Yay!" in the crowd of helpfully debugging "nays!". Thanks, keep going this direction for us mere mortals.
by john.mills » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:49 pm
Hi Alex,

Now that you have put out the ARMEL Beta image for testing are you going to turn your attention to working on the hardfloat image based on Raspbian? Or will this happen after the testing phase is 'finished' for the ARMEL version?

Are you scripts in a state that you can now work on producing the hard float version concurrently with little effort?

As the hard float version of Wheezy will provide better performance on the Pi and be more beneficial to the current Raspberry Pi hardware in the long term it might be worth you releasing a 'testing' version sooner rather than later.

Best Regards,

John
by grumpyoldgit » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:56 pm
The screen is blanking out after a few minutes. If I am accessing the Pi remotely, cpu shoots up to 100% and stays there. In the Squeeze release there were screensaver options that could be switched off. I can't see anything here though. Am I missing something?
by asb » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:58 pm
grumpyoldgit wrote:The screen is blanking out after a few minutes. If I am accessing the Pi remotely, cpu shoots up to 100% and stays there. In the Squeeze release there were screensaver options that could be switched off. I can't see anything here though. Am I missing something?

What process is using your CPU?
by asb » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:01 pm
john.mills wrote:Are you scripts in a state that you can now work on producing the hard float version concurrently with little effort?

As the hard float version of Wheezy will provide better performance on the Pi and be more beneficial to the current Raspberry Pi hardware in the long term it might be worth you releasing a 'testing' version sooner rather than later.

I'm hoping to get a raspbian equivalent out in the next week or so, but that depends on what problems I encounter and how much of my time gets taken up with other things (there's a limit to the amount of spare time I have available after all). I'm in contact with plugwash and mpthompson, and it sounds like Raspbian is in fantastic shape for doing this.
by MrEngman » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:12 pm
For anyone interested I have rtl8188cus based wifi adapters running on the beta version. Take a look here for instructions
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra
by typhoon » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:30 pm
When you talk about "raspbian equivalent", do you mean "hardfloat weezy" or "headless hardfolat weezy"?
by stevep » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:46 pm
Just installed and had a play - much faster than Squeeze. Having a few problems with Samba (which may be more to do with me than with any bugs). One thing I'd like to do is to stop it logging in to the pi account automatically - how do I fix that?
by strawberrytau » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:15 pm
Installed fine for me. I copied my Debian squeeze home-directory across to keep my settings from the previous install.
All restored ok (including Doom saves!) but LDXE lost the Raspberry Pi wallpaper (I guess this file was moved in the new version). Can anyone tell me the path to the default RPi wallpaper so I can restore it?
by stevep » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:23 pm
Wallpapers are in /etc/alternatives
by strawberrytau » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:10 pm
Thanks!
by asb » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:05 pm
typhoon wrote:When you talk about "raspbian equivalent", do you mean "hardfloat weezy" or "headless hardfolat weezy"?

I was talking the exact same setup as this image, but with raspbian hardfloat packages. It does seem to make sense to produce a more minimal image too, which my scripts quite easily do as part of the standard build process.
by asb » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:07 pm
stevep wrote:Just installed and had a play - much faster than Squeeze. Having a few problems with Samba (which may be more to do with me than with any bugs). One thing I'd like to do is to stop it logging in to the pi account automatically - how do I fix that?

It will run the raspi-config tool at every boot until you select the "finish" option. From then on, at every boot it will just give you the login prompt as usual.
by stevep » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:11 pm
That simple! Thanks.
by typhoon » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:54 pm
well, if you feel like building a more minimal image (for headless pourposes where DE or X is not needed), I vote for it. Thanks for the new image btw, still haven't got time to play with it :P
by MattHawkinsUK » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:16 pm
Just installed Debian "wheezy". I noticed the SSH issue in the raspi-config utility but looks like that will be sorted.

So far it's looking good. It's got three things I had to sort out manually in Squeeze :

- Resizing the partition is much easier/quicker
- SSH is enabled by default
- Audio is configured

Thanks to everyone who is working on these images. Your time is greatly appreciated by a great many people.
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook and Twitter (@RPiSpy)
by stevep » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:41 pm
Is there an issue with Samba that I'm not aware of? I've had no luck - maybe there are some extra bits I need to install? I'm getting an "Operation not supported" error when I try to access smb://192.168.1.6/myaccount using the gui file manager, and from the Pi from the Mac, either "username or password incorrect" (with Apple+K) or "connection failed, the server raspberry pi may not exist or is unavailable etc etc" if I use the finder window. Ping is fine both ways, and the raspberrypi appears in the Mac finder window.
by Rasathus » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
I was going to post about the enable ssh bug, but it looks like its already been raised and responded to. Is there any logging for raspi-config ? i cant find anything in /var/log/
Pi1 - Revision 002 - Used for some circuit experimentation and learning.
Pi2 - Revision 002 - Currently powering the 'Monstrosity Rover' project.
Pi3 - Revision 004 - Raspberry Pi Laptop using a Motorola Lapdock.

Take a look @ rasathus.blogspot.co.uk
by tokyostormdrain » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:11 pm
Hi,

Just grabbed the new wheezy distro onto my sd card and booted the pi. Been hacking around for a couple of hours with the config.txt trying to get my display to boot in anything but 640x480
I have a hdmi-dvi plugged into a dell monitor which can support 1680x1050

I'm using http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt as a guide

I've just set hdmi_group=1 hdmi_mode=1 and called the commands to show me what display mdeos are available and its only showing 640x480 as an option.

On the previous squeeze distro I had 1680x1050 running no problems, picked it up on first boot.

Any help would be great.
by Yoriku » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:19 pm
I'm see'ing:
2413524572: vchiq_lib: Very incompatible VCHIQ Library - cannot retrieve driver version
* failed to open vchiq instance

on a fresh image. I did sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade and still have this issue. chmod does not fix it, perms and groups are right... Any clues?

(I get it when trying to start quake3 installed as instructed: http://mitchtech.net/install-quake-3-on-raspberry-pi/ )
by thexman » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:21 pm
on my debian 6 install SD card when i boot it automatically boots into debian LXDE and asks for log on i know i changed some thing in a ini / txt file but for the life of me i cannot find the original forum post that explained where to edit and what to edit it was somthing with a 6 in it or init 6 or some simular code that had to be entered into a file on the SD image to make it Autoboot into lxde with out requiring you to log on etc. and startx and all that.

any help Linux noob. <---------
one armed controls engineer, my grammar is bad but lets face it most keyboards don't suit a one armed man
by tokyostormdrain » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:57 pm
Hmmm, came back after a while and tried it again with some different settings and now I'm all full rez, so ignore me I solved my own problem :)

tokyostormdrain wrote:Hi,

Just grabbed the new wheezy distro onto my sd card and booted the pi. Been hacking around for a couple of hours with the config.txt trying to get my display to boot in anything but 640x480
I have a hdmi-dvi plugged into a dell monitor which can support 1680x1050

I'm using http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt as a guide

I've just set hdmi_group=1 hdmi_mode=1 and called the commands to show me what display mdeos are available and its only showing 640x480 as an option.

On the previous squeeze distro I had 1680x1050 running no problems, picked it up on first boot.

Any help would be great.