* Minimal Debian unstable install

7 posts
by mpmc » Sun May 27, 2012 7:31 am
Morning all.

There seems to be quite a few people requesting a minimal Debian installation image, rather than do the usual removal of packages from the official image, I decided to create my own with added V4L support.

I recommend everyone to create their own to fit their needs, while I understand it isn't easy for most folks, me included, I found the experience rewarding.

But for those of you who don't want to, there are plenty of options available on the forums or if you really can't wait, you're quite welcome to try my image available on my homepage.

Hopefully this will help save some people some time!
by mike632t » Mon May 28, 2012 9:48 am
I would be very interested in knowing how you created the image - I don't suppose you made a note of what you did..?
by MrEngman » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:33 pm
mpmc,

Excellent. Your instructions to build the kernel are really helpful. Much clearer than the wiki.

All I need to do now is work out how to compile my driver. Either addng it into the kernel code, which would be nice, or compiling seperately. Any ideas?
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra
by MrEngman » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:54 pm
Just found one problem.

To generate the image I had to cd into ~dev/tools/mkimage to run the python script otherwise it gave a couple of errors saying it couldn't find the file boot-uncompressed.py - think that was the right filename.

The image is running on my Pi now - just that my wifi driver doesn't work. Really have to figure out now how to compile the driver.
by mpmc » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:39 am
MrEngman wrote:Just found one problem.

To generate the image I had to cd into ~dev/tools/mkimage to run the python script otherwise it gave a couple of errors saying it couldn't find the file boot-uncompressed.py - think that was the right filename.

Thanks for letting me know, I'll update the guide.
The image is running on my Pi now - just that my wifi driver doesn't work. Really have to figure out now how to compile the driver.

I think you may need to copy the kernel source directory over to /lib/modules/<kernel_version>/build. To be able to build a driver.
by MrEngman » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:41 am
mpmc wrote:
MrEngman wrote:The image is running on my Pi now - just that my wifi driver doesn't work. Really have to figure out now how to compile the driver.

I think you may need to copy the kernel source directory over to /lib/modules/<kernel_version>/build. To be able to build a driver.

Thanks for the pointer. I'm looking at the Debian wiki and there is an example for compiling the driver for an atheros wifi. Not competely clear how to do it but a start.

As for copying the kernel source I've found something interesting in the image I generated from your instructions. Looking in the /lib/modules/<kernel version>/ directory there are two additional entries,

Code: Select all
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     31 Jun  3 23:11 build -> /home/richard/raspberrypi/linux
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     31 Jun  3 23:11 source -> /home/richard/raspberrypi/linux

These are pointing to the directory where the source was installed that the image was compiled from - raspberrypi being your dev directory, although ~raspberrypi/linux does not exist in the image now running on my Pi. And also the links do not exist on the machine that I used to create the image, a Ubuntu system. Strange, but I guess that's Linux for you.

However, I think its a useful tip, so just create a symlink, or two, to point to where the kernel source has been installed.

I used to be heavily involved with Linux many years ago, at least 15yrs ago, doing driver development for the LSI Logic SCSI drivers, using the moniker dormouse, and compiling code was the least of my problems but I haven't used it since then and I'm finding it rather difficult getting back into it. However, once I can get my wifi driver compiled and working I'm sure it will feel no where near as difficult as it does at the moment.

Anyway thanks very much for your help, really useful.

MrEngman
by mpmc » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:07 pm
Hey guys,

Just thought I'd post to let you guys know I've updated my images and as usual they can be found on my site.

Enjoy :D