how to get the nice raspberry pi wallpaper back

8 posts
by alexeames » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:59 pm
I'm running wheezy beta and did an apt-get update, apt-get upgrade a few days ago.

Generally I like it. No longer seems to crash on logging out of LXDE (although it did once).

But it's replaced my nice Raspberry Pi logo with a rather scaggy debian swirl that looks like it was made on a ZX Spectrum.

Anyone know how I can change that background graphic back to the nice Raspberry Pi one? I'm sure it must be easy - when you know how. :lol:
My Pi uses 2 watts - what what? ---- HiRes early production Pi photos RS Front Back | Farnell Front Back
by asb » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:10 pm
This is due to an update in the desktop-base package where the Debian background got a higher priority than the one I set.

Do this:

Code: Select all
sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-background \
  desktop-background /opt/rpi_artwork/Raspberry_Pi_Logo.png 100
by alexeames » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:16 pm
Excellent - thanks :D
My Pi uses 2 watts - what what? ---- HiRes early production Pi photos RS Front Back | Farnell Front Back
by PaulCheffus » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:36 pm
Hi

Thanks I have been wanting to change this back for days.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.
by stychokiller » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:11 am
asb wrote:This is due to an update in the desktop-base package where the Debian background got a higher priority than the one I set.

Do this:

Code: Select all
sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-background \
  desktop-background /opt/rpi_artwork/Raspberry_Pi_Logo.png 100

Your proposed solution does not work for me, it only updates the /etc/alternatives/desktop-background link(s), but not the /etc/alternatives/desktop-background.xml link(s). :cry:

Is update-alternatives actually changing something in the kernel or startup files? I've tried different graphics files, different priority numbers, and EVEN moving all the crappy debian logo graphics files out of /usr/share/images/desktop-base and STILL the debian logo remains! :x

Do you know the primitive magic spells to get rid of this background (and WHY is this setting NOT
part of the preferences setting(s) menu(s)?) :o
by lam8ch0p » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:45 am
Hi

Same problem. First night on the Raspberry. Son changed wallpaper to rubbish alternative just by right clicking. That option now seems to have disappeared. Tried command line stuff mentioned above, got lines of responses but no actual change of wallpaper. Everything working, just frustrating and I'd like to get it back to how it was before trying to learn the stuff I should have learned when mucking about with my BBC Micro B when I was a kid. Anyway, advice on how to get the bloody wallpaper back would be appreciated.
by alexeames » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:49 am
lam8ch0p wrote:Anyway, advice on how to get the bloody wallpaper back would be appreciated.

I'm sure there's an easier way (sorry I don't know it), but you could always reflash the SD card :lol:
by lam8ch0p » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:11 pm
That's what I've just done - on another sd card just to be on the safe side. All courtesy of the very well written Forum guidance (better than the official user guide). Really enjoyed doing it too - how sad is that! My son is playing 'Scratch' so I'll have to wait to see if it's actually worked but according to all the Terminal notifications on my Mac it should have. Appreciate the response though.