su root authentication failure

11 posts
by xXFluffyMaidenXx » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:24 am
Hey guys, Just got my Pi and i'm just following this tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28CqDKjtppg

I'm about 15 minutes in and i'm getting a password error I've tried no password and i've tried the Debian default password.

Any one know what could be wrong?
by bredman » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:40 am
There is a problem with the password setup. There is a fix at this page
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... y_password
by RasPiNik » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:41 pm
I have the September 2012 Raspbian/Wheezy installed.
I still get this problem.
Does Not matter if using original or my own password.
The above solution makes no difference
by AndySpawn » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:47 am
I had the same problem (just received my raspberry pi yesterday) but the above solution helped me. If you pay close attention to the gconftool-2 command, there are two spaces between the groups as in;

Code: Select all
gconftool-2##--type bool##--set##/apps/gksu/sudo-mode##true

...where the "#" should be replaced by spaces. If you only type one space the command won't work.
by jojopi » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:54 am
AndySpawn wrote:If you only type one space the command won't work.
The shell does not distinguish the number of spaces in commands (unless they are in quotes). I think the double-spaced version was put in the wiki just to make it clearer where the spaces must go.

Anyway, that particular fix has not been required for many months. It also was probably never correct for anyone in this thread. If you are using "su root" at the command line, not gksu in the gui, then the problem is that there is no pre-set root password because you are expected to use sudo instead.
by AndySpawn » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:16 pm
Thank you for your reply jojopi, maybe I was mistaken about the use of two spaces but I was sure i had the same problem when trying to reset my root password on Ubuntu, anyway, to say that this fix has not been required for months is not correct, and it did help me to access su root.

I appologise if I am in the wrong section, I'm still trying to find my way around this forum, and the search function hasn't been much help so far.

I was attempting to use the package manager in the current build that is listed in the downloads page (Debian "wheezy") and I was unable to perform any installs as the package manager required me to log in as root. Neither the command line nor the terminal would accept the default password or any password I had set myself, until I used the above fix. This was last night (16-11-12), now maybe it was a problem with the package manager (or my use of it) but I have moved on to try the other builds to see which I prefer.
by jojopi » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:48 pm
AndySpawn wrote:I was attempting to use the package manager in the current build that is listed in the downloads page (Debian "wheezy") and I was unable to perform any installs as the package manager required me to log in as root.
Then you are right; that sounds indeed like gksu trying to use "su" instead of "sudo" again. Can you confirm if you are using the 2012-10-28 raspbian wheezy or 2012-08-08 debian wheezy (soft float) image? Also, had you changed anything to do with user accounts, such as logging in a user other than pi?
by AndySpawn » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:18 pm
I was indeed using the 2012-10-28 raspbian wheezy, my first attempt was after having changed root password and the second attempt was after reflashing the sd card and just using the standard password. Unfortunately I can't be any more specific or supply any additional information as I have since wiper that sd card and am trying out other builds at the moment.
by AndySpawn » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:29 am
UPDATE: I just tried out my Debian wheezy card again tonight after having problems with my arch linux one and I can use the terminal to install packages without having to change to root (vlc for example) by using;

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install vlc
by Kstacey » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:37 am
Hi guys,
I am having the same problem when trying to install additional software packages or accessing some of the folders as I have to be logged in as root. I am using Debian 6 element 14.When trying to login as root, a password is required (which has not been set at all). The link provided above does not solve the problem at all , neither does sudo passwd root . Could anyone please help?
by eamon568 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:51 am
I was lost too but just use the command " sudo su" and you will not have to input your password.