Help test the next Debian image (wheezy)

444 posts   Page 14 of 18   1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
by xerxes » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:02 am
Hi,
Had my Rpi for a few days and having great fun (odd really as I test software for a living and play around in linux fairly often :-).

Played with the Squeeze image (on 16Gb Class 10) and it works fine (little bit of keyboard bounce) & no wireless, but I'm working on it.

Now trying the Wheezy image (on 4Gb Class 10), generally it seems slicker, love the raspi-config.

Couple of things I've noticed;

1. I occasionally get the blank screen problem when exiting X.

2. Programs seem much slower to startup, for example, on Squeeze - sudo vi /boot/config.txt ready to edit in less than 5secs, but, the same thing on Wheezy I'm waiting 20-25secs - any ideas?
by brainsys » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:33 am
About 1 sec here under Wheezy. Running a 4Gb class 4 card on headless configuration.
by dom » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:53 am
TheRobster wrote:If I understand correctly, you don't need to rpi-update on the Wheezy image because it has been changed.

rpi-update will always work on Wheezy. It will get you the "beeding edge" latest firmware.
"apt-get upgrade" will get you a less frequently updated, (so more tested) firmware.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by Montala » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:04 pm
Just to clarify please... is 'sudo apt-get update' different from 'sudo apt-get rpi-update' and if so will the later command install any additional 'features' etc.?

Thanks! :)
by Nr90 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:07 pm
sudo apt-get update gets the updates from the debian repositories.

rpi-update is a script written by Hexxeh to get the latest firmware from github.
by Montala » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:16 pm
OK, so let me put it another way. Having done a 'sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade' is it then worth doing a 'sudo apt-get rpi-update', or will I already have the latest of everything?
by dom » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:22 pm
Montala wrote:OK, so let me put it another way. Having done a 'sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade' is it then worth doing a 'sudo apt-get rpi-update', or will I already have the latest of everything?

rpi-update is very likely to get you something newer. Whether you want something newer is a different question.

If you are having issues currently and there has been mention that a firmware update may help, or you like to contribute to testing, then run rpi-update.
Otherwise use what apt-get upgrade gives you.
by clickykbd » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:44 pm
Montala wrote:is it then worth doing a 'sudo apt-get rpi-update', or will I already have the latest of everything?

To further clarify. rpi-update is a script that is outside if the package management system (apt-get being a utility to interact with that system). rpi-update handles the firmware and bootcode ONLY (rpi-specific bits), everything else can be handled with apt-get, or a slew of other valid ways to deal with the package system.

To get up to date with everything there are 3 things to do:
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo rpi-update

if no issues/errors, a reboot is required to use the newly installed firmware.

Others allude to the rather new feature that firmware updates will come from the repository too, but just not as frequently. So if you have no errors or issues, you can probably stick to that slower release pace and ignore rpi-update on wheezy.
by asb » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:24 pm
And I do intend to set up a 'testing'/'staging' apt repository which will be updated roughly in line with the github repo.
by DavidMS » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:42 pm
Is the screen saver going to going make a return appearance, or is deemed not stable enough currently ?
by iDaemon » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:57 pm
Abiword word processor (sudo apt-get install abiword) works a treat on wheezy, as does Claws-mail email programme (sudo apt-get install claws-mail). Both programmes are designed/described as being deliberately 'light and small' programmes. The installs take a handful of MB extra space, but on the Sandisk 8GB sdhc SD card I'm using that seems to be no problem.
by Nr90 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:25 pm
Will chromium be ported while still in testing or will that happen after it goes stable?

I ask because it is the one thing missing from this distribution and seeing as many people are both recommended to use chromium and this beta, this might lead to confusion.
by ferrymanr » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:24 pm
I ran the apt-get update and apt-get upgrade without problems but the rpi-update script was not found. Any idea where this should be?
by dom » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:37 pm
ferrymanr wrote:I ran the apt-get update and apt-get upgrade without problems but the rpi-update script was not found. Any idea where this should be?

https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update
by Montala » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:13 am
ferrymanr wrote:I ran the apt-get update and apt-get upgrade without problems but the rpi-update script was not found. Any idea where this should be?

In an earlier reply 'dom' stated that rpi-update will always work on Wheezy, which I took to mean that all you had to do to install it was to type apt-get rpi-update (possibly preceded by sudo?) but your comment indicates that this may not always be the case... I have I got the 'wrong end of the stick', (again! :) ) as it were?
by PaulCheffus » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:19 am
Montala wrote:

In an earlier reply 'dom' stated that rpi-update will always work on Wheezy, which I took to mean that all you had to do to install it was to type apt-get rpi-update (possibly preceded by sudo?) but your comment indicates that this may not always be the case... I have I got the 'wrong end of the stick', (again! :) ) as it were?

Hi

I also had to install GIT (or something similiar) as well to get Rpi-update to work on Wheezy.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.
by ren41 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:30 am
I have been using Squeeze, and just put Wheezy on an SD card so I could try it. This Ethernet connection has worked perfectly on Squeeze since I first set it up - however on Wheezy I have no access.

It connects direct to the router, bypassing the server & LAN. As we have a non-NAT setup, it has a static IP address.

I configured it exactly as it is on my Squeeze distro, that is:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address xx.xxx.xxx.xxx
netmask 255.255.255.248
gateway xx.xxx.xxx.xxx
nameserver xxx.xxx.x.xx

if I configure it like this then there are no packet errors but txqueuelen is 1000.

if I configure lo as well then it gets packets.

there are no errors on boot.

can anyone help, please?

thank you

ren
by dom » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:01 am
Montala wrote:In an earlier reply 'dom' stated that rpi-update will always work on Wheezy, which I took to mean that all you had to do to install it was to type apt-get rpi-update (possibly preceded by sudo?) but your comment indicates that this may not always be the case... I have I got the 'wrong end of the stick', (again! :) ) as it were?

rpi-update will work (as in be possible) on Wheezy. It's not installed by default, as the apt-get upgrade is a better solution.
Most users will be better off with the less frequent apt-get upgrade firmware updates.
When asb gets his 'testing' repo running, rpi-update will be unnecessary.
by ren41 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:05 am
re my previous post on my Ethernet connection.

I can ping the gateway, so it looks like a DNS error. I have the nameservers in both /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/resolv.config

I know they are working as otherwise I wouldn't be able to connect to this forum on my PC, nor directly through the router from an ipad.

Am now at a loss!

ren
by Sander » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:33 am
ren41 wrote:re my previous post on my Ethernet connection.

I can ping the gateway, so it looks like a DNS error. I have the nameservers in both /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/resolv.config

I know they are working as otherwise I wouldn't be able to connect to this forum on my PC, nor directly through the router from an ipad.

Am now at a loss!

ren

What is /etc/resolv.config ? Shouldn't you use /etc/resolv.conf

Why don't you use DHCP?

To analyze network problems at hardware and IP layer, you can run my script:

First:
sudo apt-get install mtr
sudo apt-get install time
wget http://www.appelboor.com/dump/check-my-network.py

Then:
python check-my-network.py

Based on the result you can see if/how the IP layer is performing, and how your name resolving is working.

HTH
by ren41 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:54 am
sorted it out, my mistake in introducing an error into the resolv.conf file when I put the nameservers in.

Have run an update, installed git and run rpi-update. So far I can report that it booted back up OK.

ren
by marosg » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:46 pm
Thank you for your effort, it is really appreciated.
I received my RPI on Wednesday, I tried sqeezy first which hanged after 15-20 minutes, happened several times.. I have no monitor attached, doing all via SSH so I cannot tell what went wrong. And all /var/log/messages were from Aug last year.
I tried wheezy yesterday, it is running more than 24 hours already, very nice indeed.

I have one question - what sort of web storage (using just command line) is possible to use ? Something like Dropbox (which is not ported to ARM). Are there others that would work as a directory on my raspi Debian? And that would work also on my Ubuntu dektop.

Thank you
by xtramural » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:00 pm
I have a newly imaged, apt-get update'd, apt-get upgrade'd and rpi-update'd Wheezy on a Transcend 8GB Class 6 and have noticed the following mmc errors:
[ 1984.535709] mmc0: final write to SD card still running
[ 1994.408120] mmc0: Timeout waiting for hardware interrupt - cmd12.
[ 1994.409315] mmcblk0: error -110 sending stop command, original cmd response 0x900, card status 0x900

I assume that this is a potential source of SD card corruption but am seeking advice on whether this is actually the case.
4.8V between TP1 and TP2.
by dom » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:32 pm
@xtramural
Might be worth posting in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=5057

lb might have a suggestion. There have been a few similar issues since the sdcard speedup (although I think it solves more issues than it creates).

Has this card ever worked on Pi without these errors? (e.g. in Debian Squeeze)
by aspen-soul » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:55 pm
I've received my RPI 2 days ago. I got another RPI from my friend who had the chance to buy it on the first day it's been released. The main chip on the new one is samsung and the old one is hynyx.
I've worked with the old one(my friends board) using debian Squeeze and Wheezy, both worked fine with no modification. I have two SD-cards : 8Gb Adata Class10 , 8Gb Transcend class 10.
So no problem so far. When I tried my new board with Wheezy image it didn't boot. I've got the raspberry pi logo on the screen and nothing more. I changed the card ,tried the card that worked on the old board.. nothing worked. The only OS that was working on the new board was Debian Squeeze.
I tried replacing the boot.bin and other files with the new version people suggested in the forum(to make Wheezy to work) but again it didn't work. Finally I used the Debian Wheezy image with the boot files from Debian Squeeze and it worked.
I'm wondering why the very same boards are acting different with the same card and image. The old one works with no card modification but the new board need tweaking the card as I explained.
Are the hardware on the boards different? Is this a problem with the beta image? Any inputs?