Tether to iPad 3

7 posts
by calimansi » Wed May 02, 2012 6:32 pm
Hello,

I've been searching the internet for a cheaper way to distribute Verizon LTE (USA) internet throughout my home.  I want to connect a device to my iPad 3 through USB and have this device shoot out data through ethernet.  The device should also be capable of serving up DHCP.  Ideally, the device would also be low power.  The best would be just to have a apple 30 pin connector to ethernet adapter, but this device does not exist.  Perhaps Raspberry Pi would fit these specifications?

First I looked at the DD-WRT (and variants) routers, but their ipheth driver support seems to be in a beta test and I'm not sure if I can get it to work.  Also, the higher end routers can get rudely expensive (~$200).

Second I looked at a cheap netbook.  This may be the most ideal in my situation, but netbooks are not that cheap (more than $200) and the power usage could be higher than a simple router.  I did look into getting a used netbook, but I'd rather not worry about servicing old parts and such (old hard drives, etc.).

Now, I'm taking a look at these smaller systems (Raspberry Pi, beagleboard, panda board).  I'm really leaning toward Raspberry Pi because of the price and hopefully the support of the community.

What do you all think?  Further ideas are most welcome.

Thank you for your time.
by bredman » Wed May 02, 2012 7:31 pm
Unfortunately, the RPi cannot act as a USB device for the iPad, it can only work as a USB host.

One possible option is to use the RPi to build something like a MiFi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mifi). Add a Verizon modem and a WiFi adaptor to the RPi and configure the RPi as a router. Devices in your house (like your iPad) can then connect to the internet using WiFi.

The details are not suitable for the "Absolute beginners" forum, but I have built several similar systems using 3G modems on smaller ARM machines than the RPi.

You need to buy an LTE modem which is easy to use with Linux. You also need a WiFi adaptor which can work in host mode. Some research will be needed, if you are not adventurous I recommend waiting for others to experiment first.
by error404 » Thu May 03, 2012 12:51 am
Break out of the Apple walled garden and buy yourself an Android device that the carrier hasn't crippled by disabling WiFi tether. Or buy your carrier's official device to do exactly this, I think most of them have one now. Or get a USB dongle and attach to a Pi (or dd-wrt router) and share it to Ethernet that way.

Lots of options, just none centred around a locked down and crippled device like the iPad.
by calimansi » Thu May 03, 2012 5:25 am
Ok.  I'm thinking that the raspberry pi should act as a host.  When I attach my ipad to a computer and turn on USB tethering, I see "Apple Ethernet Device" show up.  I haven't tested it yet, but I think in linux, I can use the ipheth driver to have internet through the ipad to the raspberry pi.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree that I would rather go with an android tablet, however, this is my justification:

1. With the verizon ipad, tethering is FREE (otherwise worth $30 / month for any other device).

2. iPad will keep it's value longer.

3. iPad is more stable.  My LTE internet is 10 times more stable using the ipad as compared to any other android device that I have used (bionic, charge, nexus, jetpack, razr, razr maxx).

4. Verizon LTE is the fastest, most affordable internet that I can get my hands on.

Please let me know on the first item though.

Thank you.
by obarthelemy » Thu May 03, 2012 10:20 am
Can't you root an iDevice, and then install any software to enable locked-down features ? Tethering does not technically require anything more than your phone/tablet.
by error404 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:41 pm
ipheth might work if Apple hasn"t intentionally broken it in recent devices, as is their standard practice. From the website it looks like it doesn"t support any iPads though, so I"d guess at least some modification will be required.

Does Verizon actually charge extra just to tether? What a scam. You"re already paying for the data...

I don"t think there"s a jailbreak for iPad3 yet.
by ifish86 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:51 pm
Hi All,

I am currently trying to tether my iPhone 4 to my raspberry pi running Debian Wheezy 2012-07-16 build, without much luck might i add.

Chris