HDMI Leads - £1 in poundland (UK)

22 posts
by linker3000 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:39 pm
Poundland seems to have just realised there's life beyond composite video and scart, and my local store (Chichester) has 1m HDMI leads for..well, you know!

A tad short, but a good price if you need to get one locally.

I've just bought a couple to check them out and the display looks fine.
by Dapa » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:08 pm
I noticed this a few weeks back. By contrast Maplin have 'economy' HDMI leads for £10 :-)

I brought the Poundland lead for a games console and it works fine. It would be interesting if someone could take apart the Poundland lead and find out if it's reasonable quality or not. But still, for £1 it's a good catch.

http://www.poundland.co.uk/pro.....rtainment/
by linker3000 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:42 pm
Thanks for the link. The range of prices you can pay for a lead is truly astonishing:

The 1m Tesco 'value' ones are £4.99:

An 'essentials' one from PC World is the same price as it's now reduced from £7.99, woo hoo:

Argos will do you a 'Bush' 1m lead for £9.99:

But maybe your RPi will run faster with the 1m Belkin 'high speed' HDMI cable for a mere £24.99:

There's an excellent article on the subject here:

"Why you don't need to spend more than £2 on an HDMI cable HDMI myths busted"

http://www.techradar.com/news/.....le-1071343

PS: As a Maplin customer since about 1977, with a 4-digit customer ID number, I can safely say they lost the plot many years ago with regards to their pricing on electronic components and other associated items.
by CrashlanderXL » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:46 pm
I used to have my old tower hooked up to my HDTV a while ago. I tried a cheaper discount store HDMI lead on it and the picture was horrifyingly bad.

I had to go out and get a Technica lead from Tesco when they were still doing them, about £15 I think and it was a huge improvement.

Hopefully production values have gone up recently and all HDMI leads have a minimum spec.

Hell for £1 it's got to be worth a go....

If someone tries one and it works, post it back here please!
by linker3000 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:17 pm
I"m using one right now with my RPi and a 22"TV. No issues with the pic.
by modmypi » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:37 pm
In my personal experience there's very little difference between a £1 HDMI cable and a £20 one.

As the Raspberry Pi is a 'low-cost' unit I would say it's pretty much law that everything you purchase to use with it must be low-cost too :D
Raspberry Pi Cases for your Raspberry Pi! Unique, colourful, customisable designs available from ModMyPi now!
by johnbeetem » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:44 am
modmypi said:

In my personal experience there's very little difference between a £1 HDMI cable and a £20 one.

HDMI can't get in too much trouble over a 1m cable.  Longer cables might get you into trouble through higher losses.  One difference I've found with cheap cables and an older, obviously more expensive cable is that the cheap 1m cables I've bought recently don't implement the individual ground/shield pins that are supposed to be part of the standard.  Instead, they rely on the shell of the HDMI plug to be the common ground.  As long as the devices on both ends of the cable connect their shields to circuit ground it works fine.  Otherwise you'll have problems with the cheap cable.
by jamesh » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:34 am
We had a recent issue on a project - mobile phone attached to a very specific screen via HDMI - the image quality was bad, lots of iffy pixels, sometimes the entire image would lose vertical hold. It was a combination of the lead and the screen. Only went wrong with this one device, and also depended on the lead. We found some really quite expensive leads didnt work, but some cheap ones did.

We put it down to bad HDMI  implementation on the screen (Old Samsung) combined with a slightly iffy cable. The HDMI output from the device (same as the one on the Raspi) passed all the right HDMI tests.

So, the cable can make a difference. But the quality doesn't seem related to price!
Soon to be employed engineer - Hurrah! Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at PiAcademy September 2014.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by benzeman » Fri May 04, 2012 6:19 am
JamesH said:

We had a recent issue on a project - mobile phone attached to a very specific screen via HDMI - the image quality was bad, lots of iffy pixels, sometimes the entire image would lose vertical hold. It was a combination of the lead and the screen. Only went wrong with this one device, and also depended on the lead. We found some really quite expensive leads didnt work, but some cheap ones did.

We put it down to bad HDMI  implementation on the screen (Old Samsung) combined with a slightly iffy cable. The HDMI output from the device (same as the one on the Raspi) passed all the right HDMI tests.

So, the cable can make a difference. But the quality doesn't seem related to price!

Personally, I would put this down to interference - either due to poor shielding on the cable, or just where you were at Rpi-HQ. As HDMI is a digital signal, HDMI cables (ignoring interference) either work or they don't.

Sony Centre tried to convince me that I should spend 45 on an HDMI cable... :L
by linker3000 » Tue May 08, 2012 7:45 pm
Further insight on the £1 Poundland cables (I tried two) - they don't work well through an active HDMI switch - the picture showed tons of digital noise and would blank out occasionally, even with the config_hdmi_boost=4 parameter in the boot config.

I switched to a 1.5m lead purchased from ebay for £1.30 and things were OK again.

You pays your money....
by Smartybones » Tue May 08, 2012 8:12 pm
if it carries the HDMI logo, and it has a "proper" CE mark on it, then it should work perfectly no matter how much you paid or it.

Just to add, There is no particular length set in the standard for HDMI cables, but there are limits to its impedance, so, you should only pay "expensive" for a longer lead that comes in at around the 100 ohms mark...

all this nonsense about goal plated connectors in my experience has no benefit, the amount of difrence it will make in a cable is negligent.

and to finish... I managed to get my hands on a few "high quality" leads from tesco it was in a pack that contained a nice 6way surge protected extension lead, a micro fibre cloth and screen cleaning solution along with a 2m High Speed HDMI Cable – 1080p, 4K, 3D and deep colour.  It did say 15 quid on the shelf, but was only charged £5 at the till...  so i went back and got all 10 of them left on the shelf (broke the packs up and sold the bits on ebay for a nice profit) , that said, the picture is no different with a cheap £2 HDMI, or the one tat came with th skyHD box....

if you just need a short lead, from one device to another without having to go through switches or adapters, save your money and pay no more than £5
by linker3000 » Tue May 08, 2012 8:26 pm
HDMI logo: Yep

CE Mark: Nope (not on cable nor packaging).

Smarty, sounds like you have a regular little side-business going there!
by Smartybones » Tue May 08, 2012 9:10 pm
linker3000 said:

HDMI logo: Yep

CE Mark: Nope (not on cable nor packaging).

Smarty, sounds like you have a regular little side-business going there!

lol, when the missus seen the price raspberry Pi were selling for on ebay I was getting nagged to get mine on there.... NO 'EFFIN WAY lol...

You do what you have to do to pay the bills... I spotted a bargain and exploited it. I still have a dozen 17inch LCD monitors to shift, not one of them has HDMI or DVI :(
by penguintutor » Wed May 09, 2012 11:11 pm
B&Q also have some cheap HDMI leads in the bargain bins. At £2 they are twice the cost of Poundland, but the free parking could make all the difference compared with in town car parks.
by fattybacon » Thu May 10, 2012 9:19 am
Just to add, I've bought about 6 of these over the last couple of years, I always check if they have stock whenever I'm in, and they have always been good. I've used them with blu ray players, media streamers, laptops and desktop pcs.

I was horrified when I was browsing in Tesco the other day and they were selling 2m ones for £14.95 - Tesco are the new Dixons!

If you really care about quality cables then I highly recommend Blue Jeans Cable

http://www.bluejeanscable.co.uk/

Fantastic prices with quality products.
by tawalker » Thu May 10, 2012 10:28 am
Good timing with this thread - I was off to Poundland this lunchtime for a short HDMI cable, as my RasPi arrived at home this morning :-D

Possible issue: as our TV only packs two HDMI ports, we use a Duronic 3-in/1-out HDMI switch (one of those tiny square piano-black plastic units from Amazon), so I'll have to see whether a cheap HDMI cable causes problems with that. Never mind - if it does, I've only blown £1...
---
Raspberry Pi Model B ("ryo-ohki") - Arch Linux/ARM (hard float)
Visit Eee 701 Planetoid (http://eee701planetoid.wordpress.com/) for continuing adventures with an Eee 701SD and Raspberry Pi...
---
by bruce_miranda » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:15 pm
CEC doesn't work on the poundland cables. I have 6 of them and tested all of them and its the same. Swapped them with the equally cheap freebies included by Sky and CEC works perfectly.
by drgeoff » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:24 pm
bruce_miranda wrote:CEC doesn't work on the poundland cables. I have 6 of them and tested all of them and its the same. Swapped them with the equally cheap freebies included by Sky and CEC works perfectly.

But surely those £100 Monster HDMI cables in John Lewis give phenomenally better pictures and sound than those Sky freebies?
http://www.johnlewis.com/monster-1250-h ... p231743936
Otherwise the people who buy them would be wasting their money, wouldn't they?:lol:
by jamesh » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:08 am
bruce_miranda wrote:CEC doesn't work on the poundland cables. I have 6 of them and tested all of them and its the same. Swapped them with the equally cheap freebies included by Sky and CEC works perfectly.

Interesting. Some cheapo cables from there a while back worked fine, so I guess they have removed a wire to save money somewhere.
Soon to be employed engineer - Hurrah! Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at PiAcademy September 2014.
by mikerr » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:51 am
drgeoff wrote:But surely those £100 Monster HDMI cables in John Lewis give phenomenally better pictures and sound than those Sky freebies?
Otherwise the people who buy them would be wasting their money, wouldn't they?:lol:

We can all laugh at that BUT in the days of SCART cables there was a very real picture quality difference
between bad (thin unscreened, only composite wired) and good (fully wired, individually screened) cables.
Not that you ever had to pay over £15 for a decent one though.
Got a Pi Camera? View it in my android app - Raspicam Remote ! No software required on the pi
by jamesh » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:18 am
mikerr wrote:
drgeoff wrote:But surely those £100 Monster HDMI cables in John Lewis give phenomenally better pictures and sound than those Sky freebies?

We can all laugh at that BUT in the days of SCART cables there was a very real picture quality difference
between bad (thin unscreened, only composite wired) and good (fully wired, individually screened) cables.
Not that you ever had to pay over £15 for a decent one though.

Decent cables are needed for analogue, as quality does count there. For digital, not so much! (Although some very very cheap HDMI can be problematic, they are few and far between). Once a digital cable is good enough to work, extra 'quality' makes no difference.

But don't tell that to the Monster raving loonies.
by johndough » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:04 pm
linker3000 wrote:Poundland seems to have just realised there's life beyond composite video and scart, and my local store (Chichester) has 1m HDMI leads for..well, you know!

A tad short, but a good price if you need to get one locally.

I've just bought a couple to check them out and the display looks fine.

Hi

I have a couple and they work here at home.

HOWEVER they don't work on a new Scanaponic Smart TV. It would not recognise my Pi. Not my TV, but a better quality lead did work, and this is apparently due to the number of conductors.

so...............