raspberry pi soundcard.

4 posts
by toxibunny » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:32 pm
*walks onto stage, taps mic., looks around, takes deep breath*

...Well, it"s out. People are playing with it, working on getting various hardware/software bits and pieces working, reporting bugs and problems, etc...

The Pi is a triumph. Uniquely affordable, beautiful to look at, with graphics capabilities far beyond anything in it"s class, apart from one thing... the Pi seems to have crapped-out in the sound department. Drivers are buggy/not working so far, and it seems that when the time comes that they *are* stable and working, the output on the analogue Jack will be *not excellent* due to electrical noise on the circuits.

I propose a fix. Well, not so much a *fix* as an optional but desirable improvement. An improvement that will make the Raspberry Pi"s audible capabilities as legendary as it"s GPU - an add-on board, connected via GPIO, with a nice clean signal path, and a proper DAC. And that"s not all! *waggles finger towards the heavens*

*crowd murmurs, pregnant with anticipation*

...I propose this add-on board has a chip, probably Yamaha, that enables FM SYNTHESIS! WHO"S WITH ME? *crowd goes wild* SAY IT NOW! EFF EMM SYNTHESIS! EFF EMM SYNTHESIS! EFF EMM SYNTHESIS!

*departs the stage, crowd still chanting*
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...
by Gert van Loo » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:39 pm
You want to have access to I2S for sound and unfortunately the GPIO pins are missing the pins for that. You could try a different interface but only SPI would be fast enough and that does not have a constant clock. So I think we have a little problem here.

Read the forums especially the one about "missing" and "I2S".
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by toxibunny » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:47 pm
nnnNNNOOO!

...I know the GPIO is quick enough to send commands to an FM synth, at least... is there no way at all we could wangle this? Sample RAM?
by toxibunny » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:49 pm
Dammit my Vader tags didn"t work in that last post...