programming environment

Share and discuss resources for use in the classroom

4 posts
by tbensky » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:11 am
Dear All-
I've developed a light-weight, browser-based programming environment
for the Raspberry Pi called "pi80" to help out with the Pi's mission of teaching
kids to program.

All in one browser window, you get a code-editor, output screen and 'run' button. The
language is based on Javascript, but toned down a bit with a pre-processor. The language
includes easy access to outputting text, simple graphics, animation, and reading the keyboard.

You can try it here:
http://www.codebymath.com/pi80/

It seems to run fine in the Midori browser that comes installed on the Raspberry Pi. I've
open-sourced the whole thing here: https://github.com/tbensky/pi80. You can download
your own copy by clicking the 'zip' link. Your comments/feedback/suggestions are welcome.
by jagoda » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:55 am
Hi Tony,
I liked your web site very much ...
There are various ways in which I can see it being used to teach control applications ...
e.g. by connecting the server back end to a raspberryPi ... and running various Lua scripts
directly on the RaspberryPi ....
If you look at the RaspberryPi workshops I have announced here ... you will note that there
is no Lua workshop currently scheduled (www.absolutebeginners.uk.com)
However, if you look at the FTT web site which is running more extended courses you will see that
there are Lua courses for the RaspberryPi.
It occurred to me that you might be interested in running a workshop describing what you have done ...
Also of interest, to me, anyway, would be a description of how you designed and built your web site
so that other teachers might be able to emulate your work ... or even setting up a wider community.
You may also be interested in BRON ... they have a code generator for generating finite state machine code ... and have a free 8 node version that can be used on the RaspberryPi.
by tbensky » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:51 pm
Hello Jagoda----thank you for your email about my Raspberry Pi project pi80. I would love to give a workshop, but unfortunately am a professor WAAAY out in California USA, nowhere near England (!).

Please contact me a tbensky@gmail.com, and I'd be happy to further discuss how my Rasp Pi project was developed, etc. (Perhaps such a conversation isn't appropriate for an open forum?).
Thanks,
Tom B.
by ancient.brit » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:49 am
Does anyone recall TBL's 'other' paper "A new rule-masking technique for evaluating decision tables"?

It resulted in a report generator called filetab that ran on old ICL machines.

It was a great tool for building Finite State Machines. I remembered it when I saw that G3 has been ported to the Raspberry Pi.