Vmware Player + Fedora Desktop + QEMU

Drop in for a chat and a cup of tea

4 posts
by viper » Tue May 15, 2012 10:54 pm
I have a Windows 7 laptop and I am pretty far down on the waiting list for hardware.
This is what I've done so far to get an emulated Raspberry Pi up and running - for free

I downloaded the free VMWare player from www.vmware.com
I downloaded the Fedora 16 Desktop VMWare image
Started Fedora, and installed the vmware-tools
ran "yum install qemu"
downloaded the zImage_3.1.9 kernel
downloaded the debian6-17-02-2012.img
put them in the same directory
on the command-line:
qemu-system-arm -M versatilepb -cpu arm1136-r2 -hda debian6-17-02-2012.img -kernel zImage_3.1.9 -m 192 -append "root=/dev/sda2"
QEMU window popped up
raspberry pi started booting
I followed the recommended 1st step (for people with non UK keyboards)
sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
chose my locale, and let it run for about a minute or so - updating all the locale information
and I believe a this point, I have an emulated Raspberry Pi running on my Windows 7 laptop
Thanks to everyone who contributed their pieces I was able to gather off the forums
I can play with this until my number comes up for hardware
Good Luck!
by itimpi » Wed May 16, 2012 5:32 am
It is not clear to me what advantage your approach has over running the Windows version of Qemu? That is what I am doing as it seems simpler.
by DuncanKennedy » Wed May 16, 2012 2:14 pm
Excellent job getting all of that working!

I have to agree though, you might want to consider trying Qemu directly from Windows 7 - I'm running the Debian image that way and have had no problems so far. You'll pick up a fair bit of performance from your emulated Pi as well by eliminating the intermediate VM layer.

Duncan
Duncan
The mind is an infinite resource, provided you don't waste it!
by Joe Schmoe » Wed May 16, 2012 3:15 pm
DuncanKennedy wrote:Excellent job getting all of that working!

I have to agree though, you might want to consider trying Qemu directly from Windows 7 - I'm running the Debian image that way and have had no problems so far. You'll pick up a fair bit of performance from your emulated Pi as well by eliminating the intermediate VM layer.

Duncan

I agree with you as well - but there has been a fair amount of back-and-forth here on this topic.

Many posters, who seem to be taking the "End User Support" persona, advocate the "Run Linux in a VM under Windows, then run the Pi under Qemu under that" approach, because it is a little more controllable. The primary reason is that QEMU is a little more "at home" under Linux, so it is easier to give specific instructions and get predictable results there, than under Windows. Particularly way back when we first started this, the compiles available for Linux were more predictable, and the Windows ones tended to be kinda ad hoc.

Further, getting networking working under Windows is a pain. The procedure is a little complicated and error-prone (if you don't know what you are doing). Whereas, under Linux, it "just works" OOB. I think this (the problem with the networking) is the primary reason why people recommend the Linux approach.
Never answer the question you are asked. Rather, answer the question you wish you had been asked.

- Robert S. McNamara - quoted in "Fog of War" -