Wireless keyboard and touchpad

8 posts
by John_C » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:00 pm
Not a full size one. I want to be able to sit on the couch with the RPi hooked up to the TV on the opposite side of the room and watch iplayer etc stuff

So would prefer something smaller for the occasional commands so was thinking of this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120930373522

(hope it's okay to post ebay links, if not I guess this post won't get posted)

Do folks reckon this would work with the RPi?

John
by Mike Leach » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:25 pm
I don't know anything about the device you referenced, however I have successfully paired the similar AHX Global iTablet Bluetooth Keyboard and touchpad via bluetooth.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0374060

I picked it up for $9.99 US at a local electronics store. I too wanted a small and agile keyboard/touchpad for a mobile project I am working on, and this suits the bill perfectly. I will say that you will want to do all of your early loading and configuring with a real keyboard as the small buttons get tedious for lots of typing.
For bluetooth you will want to stay away from the dongles that utilize the Broadcom chips and find one that uses CSR (Cambridge Silicon Radio) based chips.
by John_C » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:00 pm
Well I've bought it !! Hope it works with no problems. If it does it will free up a USB port :D

Onward and erm, well onwards anyway :lol:
by ejsolutions » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:03 pm
[For those of us who don't get on well with touchpads.]
I've had no problems (so far) with a wireless mini keyboard and trackball, with the added bonus of a laser pointer for exercising the cat. :) The keys are a bit shiny and therefore reflective and unless laid down, typing is quite slow but it is useful and certainly worth the less than £15 (GBP) from a Chinese eBay supplier. Even with the transceiver plugged into an unpowered USB 1.1 cheapo hub, the response is OK, if not brisk.
by firestorm_v1 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:53 am
I know for sure that the AHX iTablet (microcenter link above) keyboard does work with the RasPi (provided you have a good BT dongle).

I bought three of them thinking that a $15 keyboard is too good to be true. It works perfectly and wasn't a pain in the @$$ to pair. If/when you get one, discard the instructions, they're engrish and don't make much sense.

To pair, turn on the controller and hold down the BT button (right most edge button with bluetooth logo). Blue LED will flash. Use the blueman manager (or whatever manager you prefer) and follow pairing instructions. When it prompts you to enter a pin, enter those digits on the controller and hit enter. Upon successful pairing, blue LED will go out and you should be set. Alternatively, you may have to click on the device and click "Connect to Input Service" in order for it to work.

The good news is that running the RasPi in Debian and with this setup, the BT pairing will survive reboots so once you're paired, you're pretty much good to go.

Like the OP, I was looking for a BT keyboard to drive XBMC with, however XBMC doesn't have bluetooth support and the two times I got it to pair via cmdline were agonizing.
by Sami » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:11 am
John_C wrote:Well I've bought it !! Hope it works with no problems. If it does it will free up a USB port :D

Onward and erm, well onwards anyway :lol:

Hi John_C

Did it work? How is it performing? I am of thinking of buying the same.
by theevil » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:52 pm
I bought a Keysonic ACK-540 BT keyboard which includes a touchpad and it is working perfectly.
The price was about 50€ in germany.

http://maxpoint.de/de/products/keyboard ... ectID=1056
by GeorgK » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:17 pm
Hi theevil,
can you give me a hint, how you connect this keyboard? Have paired on another machine?

Greets,

Georg