Does anyone have this cheapo DVB-T/Analog tuner from Ebay?

11 posts
by fodi » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:53 pm
hey there,
does anyone has this cheapo hybris usb tuner from ebay?
can anyone confirm what chipset it uses? (i tried finding out but all i got was the same description as on the ebay page)
thanks very much

ImageImage
by pe7er » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:47 pm
I have no idea about the chipset & quality of that USB DVB-T/Analog tuner, and its compatibility with Linux.

Recently I bought a similar DVB-T Stick (EZCAP, with Realtek RTL2832U chipset) because it was compatible with Linux,
and mentioned at: http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/rtl-sdr
However, I haven't been able to do GNU Radio with it yet (but was recognized under Linux though).

On some old Windows XP laptop I was able to find a couple of local digital TV stations (in The Netherlands) but only one was not encrypted. Maybe I should have used a better antenna....

Somewhat more info:
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/EzCap_DVB_T_Stick (maybe your eBay stick is on that site too?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUQd9HOVTk8
Peter Martin
OS: Debian, Raspbian | Devices: Raspberry Pi, SheevaPlug
by fodi » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:37 pm
pe7er wrote:maybe your eBay stick is on that site too?

yes, it might be there but since i do not know anything about its chipset i cannot do a search if it supports linux
but anyway, thanks
by wallabybob » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:10 am
fodi wrote:yes, it might be there but since i do not know anything about its chipset

Linux shell command lsusb might identify the chipset. If you post the output here a reader might decode it for you.
by fodi » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:35 am
wallabybob wrote:
fodi wrote:yes, it might be there but since i do not know anything about its chipset

Linux shell command lsusb might identify the chipset. If you post the output here a reader might decode it for you.

yeah that would be easy given i have the tuner, but i do not have it yet, as i don't know if it would be supported or not and hoped that someone might have it here
but looks like i'll have to take the first step in this
by poing » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:19 am
As far as I know DVB-T uses MPEG2 which the Pi can't decode. A solution like that can be used to stream the output over the network from the Pi but you'll need another computer to watch TV.

This one can be had locally for €27 and is listed on the page mentioned earlier: http://www.terratec.net/en/products/technical-data/produkte_technische_daten_en_120835.html

I have one, although it's out of town for the next two month, and in due course I'll be sure to try it.
by fodi » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:25 am
poing wrote:As far as I know DVB-T uses MPEG2 which the Pi can't decode. A solution like that can be used to stream the output over the network from the Pi but you'll need another computer to watch TV.

This one can be had locally for €27 and is listed on the page mentioned earlier: http://www.terratec.net/en/products/technical-data/produkte_technische_daten_en_120835.html

I have one, although it's out of town for the next two month, and in due course I'll be sure to try it.

Dvb-t uses mpeg2 or mpeg4 (h264) depending on country. In my country it uses h264
Actually this tuner woulx be good as it is hybrid. Working dvbt ones can be bought off ebay for 10 bucks.
by geezbeez » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:35 am
Not DVB but DAB,DAB+ Theres a product called a noxon dabstick by a german company called terratec which recieves DAB radio which costs around £20 which I believe linux drivers have been (independently) developed for.
Looks like might be able to get workin with a Raspberry.
Could configure a raspberry as an incar DAB radio, to use with a stock radio. Program in a few presets like 6 radio , radio 5 live. attach a couple of buttons using GPIO to scan search or toggle thru presets and also start stop record to SD card.
Would make a nice little project. Dont know if anyone has one of these, I'm trying to find out more about this product before I buy.
by mikerr » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:04 am
poing wrote:As far as I know DVB-T uses MPEG2 which the Pi can't decode.

The Pi CAN decode mpeg2 in software, it just can't do it hardware accelerated, so cpu usage would be high.
Got a Pi Camera? View it in my android app - Raspicam Remote ! No software required on the pi
by Glashio » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:25 am
Now with the Mpreg-2 licences, any change to make this work?
by fodi » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:16 pm
Glashio wrote:Now with the Mpreg-2 licences, any change to make this work?

actually the doubt is not with the mpeg-2 licenses but with linux drivers for the tuner itself (so i was not sure whether it can be used on linux or not)