Letpower VONETS VAP11G WIFI BRIDGE

8 posts
by Piromaniac » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:20 pm
Hi.

Has anyone had any luck using the Letpower VONETS VAP11G WIFI BRIDGE with the Pi.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006JV2H6O

I understand that I would possibly need the compatible Linux drivers - I'm running Debian Squeeze at the moment.

Cheers,

Piro.
by igeorgetaylor98 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:40 pm
I am interested in this too! ( kinda getting fed up with finding a wifi adapter that works!

I don't thin this would need drivers because it is using Ethernet? Not sure though?
by SN » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:33 am
Mine arrived yesterday and it after a stuttering start I have it working nicely. And yes you need NO drivers on the pi as it shows up as eth0 BUT...

A few caveats.
1. You do need a Windows PC to set it up - there's a Windows Setup App (provided on a tiny CD) you need to run to find the Vonets and programme in your Wireless Network Settings (SSN, WEP/WPA settings etc) - the first W7 laptop I tried stubbornly refused to find the Vonets on its Ethernet port - fortunately I had a second one which worked OK.
2. I can't get it to work as the 'source' for a little cisco 8 port hub (so I can hang a few pi's off it) - not sure why at the moment - will go back to that.
3. DHCP doesn't seem to work through it to my WIreless Router - I have staticly configured eth0 in /etc/network/interfaces - SCRATCH THIS, WHEN I SWITCHED TO THE WHEEZY BUILD THIS PROBLEM WENT AWAY :oops:
4. Power is interesting - its powered off a usb cable, so I plugged that into my powered hub and use the power plug to that hub as the master power on/off in the usual fashion - problem is, I think the pi boots faster than the vonets so the vonets isn't ready for when the pi attempts to initialise the network port and speak to an ntp server - a quick 'sudo reboot' obviously sorts that out but its irritating

Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?
by Mortimer » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:12 pm
I'm sure someone will be able to tell you how to introduce a delay in the Pi's startup scripts, to give the Vonets time to come to life.
by SN » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:57 pm
upgraded to wheezy, updated and upgraded and now the timing issue is no more

HOWEVER I can not get the Vonets to handle requests to multiple devices sat behind my Linksys Hub - I think I need somethink cleverer than that - a router running its own subnet I think with the Vonets acting as an uplink to my main wireless router which in turn uplinks to the t'internet
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?
by MadHorseman » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:35 pm
I had one (for another project) which worked fine (for a single Pi) for a while, then stopped - I need to spend a bit more time to find out why....!!
by MadHorseman » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:45 am
MadHorseman wrote:I had one (for another project) which worked fine (for a single Pi) for a while, then stopped - I need to spend a bit more time to find out why....!!

Hmm - works fine with Win7, Win8 but not Linux (Puppy, UBuntu 10.4 etc....) Something about unable to negotiate with the DHCP (on the router I presume) - switched that off & on & no luck still...heigh-ho. Off to try Raspbian...

p.s. Will also try a Sitecom 300n Range Extender to see if that works as an Ethernet connection remotely.
by philsmd » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:12 pm
Hey!
The device (vap11g) does NOT need ANY kind of drivers etc. The USB connector is only use to give power to the device and it (USB) doesn't need to be connected to raspberry pi or laptop/PC. The necessary power can be given by (normal) power plug or other measures.

The device is programmed/configured via ethernet (lan) and can be configured via this python tool:
https://github.com/philsmd/vap11g

Please test the tool also on your raspberrypi (I didn't test it there directly) but it should work everywhere (maybe with small modifications) where python is available.

Best