Cheap powered USB Hub (UK)

48 posts   Page 2 of 2   1, 2
by SN » Thu May 31, 2012 7:59 pm
Thats right. So the trick is to power the raspi grom the hub too and control power to the whole shooting match by plugging/unplugging power to the hub alone.
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?
by ScoobyDoo » Thu May 31, 2012 8:39 pm
Do I need to do anything special with this hub or just plug the USB power cable from the pi into the hub?
The hub is 5v 1amp..
I've got a wireless keyboard/mouse and wifi adapter connected to the hub.
Is it powerful enough to run these and the pi?
by teomac » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:04 am
adya wrote:I think, that http://www.dlink.ru/ru/product.....316_b.html will be the qualitiest solution....

I agree, I'm going to buy this one for my Pi.
I have another 5v 2.1A but it doesn't work, rasp can't recognize the usb keyboard pluged in the hub.

Here the D-link DUB-H7 hub full specs:
Standards:
USB specification version 2.0 (data rates of up to 480 Mbps)
USB specification version 1.1 (data rates of up to 12 Mbps)
OHCI
UHIC
EHCI

Interfaces:
Upstream USB Type B (female) port
7 downstream USB Type A (female) ports (including 2 Fast Charge ports)

Connectivity Rules:
Up to five cascaded hubs
Maximum cable length between each hub: 5 m
Up to 127 devices

Minimum system requirements:
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
Mac OS 9.0 or above
Linux

Diagnostic LED:
Standard Mode (blue)
Fast Charge Mode (green)

Supplied charging current
Standard Mode:
0.5 A all seven front ports1
Fast Charge Mode:
0.5 A on all 5 white ports1
1.2 A on both black ports1

Power input:
5 V / 3 A DC

Dimensions (L x W x H):
100 x 57 x 23 mm
by paulandjules » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:31 am
pedley wrote:I'm using one of these http://www.maplin.co.uk/cerulian-4-port ... hub-513850 powered by this http://www.maplin.co.uk/low-cost-6w-mul ... supply-226

It seems to power both the pi from one of the hubs usb sockets and a keyboard and mouse with no problems at this point in time.

Not particularly cheap (£20) when combined but I had them lying around from something else so thought I would try it.

Hi Pedley. Do you need to use the 6w power supply or would it work with the power that ships with the Hub?
by piglet » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:34 am
My D-Link H-7 arrived yesterday. I'm rather disappointed.

The two 1A ports only activate when no +5V is present in the USB input cable, and when I used the cable with no +5V pin then it becomes a power supply only. The hub functionality turns off and so the pi can't see any usb devices plugged in.

The 1A port only supplies 500mA when the+5V line is attached - which gives a pi feed of 4.46V. It's just enough to power it with no USB devices...but not very well.
by teomac » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:58 am
piglet wrote:My D-Link H-7 arrived yesterday. I'm rather disappointed.

The two 1A ports only activate when no +5V is present in the USB input cable, and when I used the cable with no +5V pin then it becomes a power supply only. The hub functionality turns off and so the pi can't see any usb devices plugged in.

The 1A port only supplies 500mA when the+5V line is attached - which gives a pi feed of 4.46V. It's just enough to power it with no USB devices...but not very well.

So bad, I suppose this is one of the best usb hub in the market. I was wrong
Thanks for your feedback
by ScoobyDoo » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:56 pm
I've given up using any sort of hub. I've tried a few and none of them have worked.
I've tried cutting the +5v supply and this stopped one hub trying to send power back to the pi but then the wifi adapter wouldn't work. The pluscom hub gave loads of USB reset errors.
Ive decided just to use the two USB ports, ethernet and no wifi adapter and everything is running rock solid
by piglet » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:23 pm
teomac wrote:

Thanks for your feedback

I've tried it with a beefier power supply and it works well:

Port 1 - to power a tiny Belkin hub for mouse and keyboard
Port 2 - to power the pi (4.85V)
Port 7 - the D-Link wifi dongle

Seems a silly way to do it - but it works.

The only snag is that at first boot I have to wait for it to try starting up the network: power off, power on again otherwise the wifi dongle doesn't work.
by xChris » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:41 pm
I have too a small (powered) Belkin (Belkin F5U701) .
Its PSU is 5v/2.5A ,The RPi gets power direct from one of the ports (7 in total)
Also are connected:

* PS/2 keyboard (full sized) + PS/2 optical mouse (via 'generic' USB-> PS/2 KBD/MSE adaptor)
* 160GB External HDD (Zalman VE200)
* TPLINK High gain wifi

NO problems!
by therealeasterbunny » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:46 am
I also have just bought the Currys Logic 4 port powered hub which includes 2 amp 5v mains adapter and built in USB cable to hook up your Pi. Its nice, compact and works with my Pi, EZ USB to 2x PS2 port converter (which hooks up my PS2 kbd and PS2 mouse) and a Prolific PL2303 USB to serial converter.

Originally I tried my PL2303 direct to my Pi but Pi wasn't finding it. This hub resolves this issue and leaves me with expandability and no immediate worries over power.

All seems dandy-oh and for £12.99 its a very good price when, as the previous poster says, you can easily go back to the high street to replace. 8-)
by SteveOll » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:53 pm
I bought one of the 7 port 3A hubs from ebay (ebay ref. 280522733324) and it is dodgy. I cannot boot my pc with it connected - its like the hub's PSU is shorting the PC's own PSU. If the PC is already running either in Windows 7 or Debian 6.0.5 then plugging the 3A PSU into the hub when connected to the PC kills the power immediately. When I tried to reboot it took several attempts before the POST screen appeared I am afraid to use it again incase it fries the motherboard.

I tried it on the Raspberry Pi and just connecting the hub to the Pi with the power on actually boots the Pi without using the proper micro USB socket, but the power LED pulses instead of being continuously lit which isn't probably how the Pi is supposed to operate.

Also, my wireless mouse refuses to work when the hub is connected to the Pi and powered by the 3A PSU, and my LabJack U3-HV DAQ refuses to be opened via Python on the Pi when using this Hub.

I would avoid this thing like the plague.
by Montala » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:17 pm
SteveOll wrote:I bought one of the 7 port 3A hubs from ebay (ebay ref. 280522733324) and it is dodgy. I cannot boot my pc with it connected - its like the hub's PSU is shorting the PC's own PSU. If the PC is already running either in Windows 7 or Debian 6.0.5 then plugging the 3A PSU into the hub when connected to the PC kills the power immediately. When I tried to reboot it took several attempts before the POST screen appeared I am afraid to use it again incase it fries the motherboard.

Sorry, but I am not quite following you here... When you say that you can't boot your PC with it connected.... what is it actually connected to? As it has its own PSU that is presumably plugged into a separate mains power socket which surely shouldn't affect the PC at all... unless of course you are using the PC's USB ports as a source of power, which I wouldn't have thought was advisable?

I am possibly reading it wrong though!
by piglet » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:20 am
No you're not reading it wrong. This is the device I noted as being a "pile of poo". I have exactly this problem with it using its power supply on a PC. I ended up pulling out the +5V pin on the USB-A end of the cable to ensure that the 5V didn't fry anything it was plugged into. I also changed for a better PSU.
by SN » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:19 am
This device is NOT a pile of poo - I have two which both function perfectly.
You just need to be aware of the limitations of powered hubs in respect of power to the pi.

IMHO, rather than chop the USB A-B Cable, the right way to run them is have the pi both connected to AND powered off the hub using two cables like so
This IS the Pluscomm USB Hub - its just been de-robed :D

This IS a rock solid combination - I have a second Pi/Hub/Wireless Dongle combo running my http://www.bryxx.com website - which has been up and running for eight days non-stop

IF you need more power to the Pi then replace the cable feeding the Pi (RHS on picture above) with a 2-into-1 variant like this

The other big plus here is that you ONLY need a single power socket to make it work AND the power plug into the hub is the only one you have to pull/push to restart the Pi

Note - I have my Wireless Dongle directly in the Pi rather than the hub because of the USB highspeed/lowspeed Device issue with the USB drivers
Last edited by SN on Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?
by piglet » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:26 am
I think you got lucky with a batch that works properly then.
by SN » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:33 am
piglet wrote:I think you got lucky with a batch that works properly then.

If I had just the one then I might agree, but two? For comparison purposes the serial numbers of mine are 0112-1862 and 0112-1873.
Remember your problems could be down to ropey cables or a power hungry keyboard/mouse
by SteveOll » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:18 pm
Well for the record, the serial Number of my dodgy model is 0112-1288.

But the device should not function in that way - i.e. kill the PC as if I'd ripped the power plug out of the wall. This occured when there was no load connected to the hub (no devices at all!)

I set up my bench power supply to power the hub instead and connected it to the PC as I type this and no problems at all, the hub draws 4-5mA with no load attached so I reckon that the supplied PSUs are iffy and you might want to keep an eye on yours - don't leave it unattended for long periods of time.

I've contacted the seller and it will be on its way back for a refund shortly.

-Steve
by Salamander » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:45 am
piglet wrote:
teomac wrote:

Thanks for your feedback

I've tried it with a beefier power supply and it works well:

Port 1 - to power a tiny Belkin hub for mouse and keyboard
Port 2 - to power the pi (4.85V)
Port 7 - the D-Link wifi dongle

Seems a silly way to do it - but it works.

The only snag is that at first boot I have to wait for it to try starting up the network: power off, power on again otherwise the wifi dongle doesn't work.

So you’re experience is that the power supply shipped with the H7 is not good enough, right?
That's sooo lame. D-Link is supposed to be a quality brand.
by RaTTuS » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:05 am
SN wrote:This device is NOT a pile of poo - I have two which both function perfectly.
You just need to be aware of the limitations of powered hubs in respect of power to the pi.

IMHO, rather than chop the USB A-B Cable, the right way to run them is have the pi both connected to AND powered off the hub using two cables like so
This IS the Pluscomm USB Hub - its just been de-robed :D

The other big plus here is that you ONLY need a single power socket to make it work AND the power plug into the hub is the only one you have to pull/push to restart the Pi

Note - I have my Wireless Dongle directly in the Pi rather than the hub because of the USB highspeed/lowspeed Device issue with the USB drivers

SN I have the same USb device
see
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003DVC7N6
the PSU is rates at 2000a
it does back power the RPi down the usb port ,

in fact it will boot as far as looking for the HD [attached] if I don't have the RPi power in [if I plug in the RPi power at that point then it will continue to work fine, I only noticed this when re-arrange the setup as all this will be going in one box this is not an issue

the whole system draws 8W max on bootup but stableizes to 6W
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html <- ask smart Questions
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
by startreksteve » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:51 am
by RaTTuS » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:06 am
startreksteve wrote:Are these any good for the Pi?

http://www.nemax.co.uk/index.php?main_p ... ts_id=4483

no - you will need a powered hub
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html <- ask smart Questions
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
by piglet » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:45 pm
Salamander wrote:So you’re experience is that the power supply shipped with the H7 is not good enough, right?
That's sooo lame. D-Link is supposed to be a quality brand.

It's quality in as much as the thing limits the output to 500mA as it should....which means it doesn't properly power the pi withouth a rather expensive 2-USB "Y" micro-usb power lead. The way I've got around this is to:

* drill a small hole in the back of the case
* cut the other end off a micro-usb lead
* threaded it through the hole
* then soldered the ground and +5V to the bottom of the circuit board where the main power connector comes in
* glued the cable safely in place inside the case.

Now you can can power the pi straight from the 3A power input without losing 2 USB. Simple but effective :)

*edit* image:

by SN » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:27 pm
RaTTuS wrote:SN I have the same USb device
see
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003DVC7N6
the PSU is rates at 2000a
it does back power the RPi down the usb port ,

in fact it will boot as far as looking for the HD [attached] if I don't have the RPi power in [if I plug in the RPi power at that point then it will continue to work fine, I only noticed this when re-arrange the setup as all this will be going in one box this is not an issue

the whole system draws 8W max on bootup but stableizes to 6W

I agree it does back power the Pi and indeed I had the very first unintended instance of this today as I tried to fire it up with the microusb cable unplugged - very weird boot/crash behaviour... dozily I didn't check and ended up re-imaging my SD card (from a recent backup) before I spotted it :roll: But having it all powered through one plug and switching it on/off using the usb hub power makes it for me, a tidy setup