USB 3.0 Hub, partially works

13 posts
by DanG » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:47 am
Hello,

I just purchased a USB 3.0 hub and thought it would work with the R-Pi as it was USB 2.0 backward compatible. Unfortunately I forgot to check the supported devices list before buying it. I gave it a go anyway and found that the Wifi dongle works fine (a WiPi), but the keyboard and mouse do not work. The syslog reports the following error when either of these devices are connected via the USB hub (note - both work as expected when connected directly to the R-Pi's USB ports):

kernel ... new low-speed USB device number NN using dwc_otg
kernel ... device descriptor read/64 error -71

The hub is a 4 port model from Maplin (product code: N68KH); as it's white-labelled, I'm not sure who the actual manufacturer is. It came with 5V 3.0A power supply, so I don't think underpowered devices are the issue as a few forum posts indicate as the common cause of this particular error.

I'm hoping there is a work around to making the keyboard/mouse work, since at least one device works without issue.

Thank you for any assistance!
Dan
by mad-hatter » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:04 am
Hi,

A lot of USB 3 hubs do not support USB 1.1, Most keyboards and mice are USB 1.1.
I made the same mistake, bought the same hub. Now use a verified hub and everything is fine.

Regards
Last edited by mad-hatter on Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
by Jim JKla » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:09 am
We probably need to find a simple way to address this like is it posible to daisy chain a dumb unpowered USB 2 hub onto a USB 3 hub and use keyboard and mouse from that.

Can one of you USB 3 owners try this and report back if it works it's going to be worth adding this as an extension to the Noob pages in the wiki as it is I will flag this up on the pages as being under investigation.

Note added http://elinux.org/RPi_Noob_Guide_to_the_Pi_image
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick
by sdjf » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:11 pm
that eLinux page is telling people to use Wordpad to edit a text file (config.txt), isn't that backwards?

"open this with Wordpad (not notepad)"

I thought it was Wordpad that added html to text files. Cannot edit eLinux, if that is wrong, someone else please fix?
FORUM TIP: To view just one person's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then click on "Search User's Posts." || This Pi owner is running Arch on 512MB Model B.
by DanG » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:33 pm
Jim JKla's suggestion to daisy chain a dumb unpowered USB 2 hub onto the USB 3 hub worked! Now keyboard and mouse are powered by the USB 3 hub, via a dumb USB 2.0 hub. I used a 4-port USB 2.0 hub that came with Rockband for the Wii (manufacturer: ViPowER, model: VP-H209B).

Thanks Jim!!
by Jim JKla » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:30 am
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

by Burngate » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:13 pm
sdjf wrote:that eLinux page is telling people to use Wordpad to edit a text file (config.txt), isn't that backwards?

"open this with Wordpad (not notepad)"

I thought it was Wordpad that added html to text files. Cannot edit eLinux, if that is wrong, someone else please fix?

Linux (and others - noteably RISC OS) use line-feed (ASCII 0A) only for end-of-line-start-another.
DOS historically used carriage-return (ASCII 0D) then line-feed

Notepad adheres to the DOS standard, and doesn't understand a line-feed on its own.
On XP and previous versions, notepad put an 'unknown character' symbol where it found line-feed on its own. On 7, it just ignores it
In either case, you see everything on one line

Wordpad is cleverer, and will recognise line-feed on its own, and will save in that format if necessary.

Config.txt, being linux-based, doesn't come with carriage returns, so notepad gets confused. Wordpad is okay with it.

When the Pi parses config.txt, it expects and is quite happy with just line-feeds.
However it seems to be happy with carriage-returns as well.
What appears to happen is that any control character is taken as an end-of-line marker, and empty lines are ignored, so extra carriage-returns aren't a problem.

But editing in notepad is difficult on an un-modified config.txt
Wyszkowski's Second Law: Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough.
Brain surgery is easier than psychoanalysis
by slimjim2234 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:06 pm
Same here, device descriptor read/64 error -71. I've done extensive diagnosing trying to make my 3.0 powered hub work with the pi model B. The hub I'm using is an Anker 3.0 7-port with the 2 charging ports, it has leds above each port indicating that the port is active for the host to transmit data. The instant pi gets hooked up, only the usb ports with data peripherals light up letting me know that the pi sees them, however the leds go off one at a time after about 3 seconds. I've hooked a multimeter up to the white and green data lines in an usb extension cable and found that the amperage shoots up passed 100 mAh then back down to 0 when hooked to the hub repeatedly (white and black stay at 360 mah at 5.02 v). I don't know what it reaches before it goes to 0 again (my multimeter isn't that great) but that is not normal, nor do I know what that means. I perform the same test on my laptop (usb 2.0) and have a consistent amperage around 130-140, no fluctuation and 3.0 hub works flawlessly with the data leds lit the whole time. Strangely enough, I was able to power the pi directly off of the usb type-A host port (discovered purely on accident) with the micro usb unplugged, so it definitely has enough power flowing through it, yet the pi still won't read the 3.0 hub. It reads usb 2.0 hubs just find, powered and unpowered. I've even tried [pi->unpowered 2.0 hub->powered 3.0 hub] and all i receive is power from the 3.0 hub, no data. I plan on posting a video on my findings.
by member_x » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:26 pm
@DanG
Jim JKla's suggestion to daisy chain a dumb unpowered USB 2 hub onto the USB 3 hub worked! Now keyboard and mouse are powered by the USB 3 hub, via a dumb USB 2.0 hub. I used a 4-port USB 2.0 hub that came with Rockband for the Wii (manufacturer: ViPowER, model: VP-H209B).

Thanks Jim!!

Which comes first? Is it like this: Pi->USB 2.0 hub->USB 3.0 hub->mouse/keyboard? Or like this: Pi->USB 3.0 hub->USB 2.0 hub->mouse/keyboard?
by Jim JKla » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:06 pm
second one.

Follow the link to the wiki where it's explained.

by Jason929 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:03 am
Well, I have a Hootoo USB 3.0 7 port. It works pretty well with enough space among each of the port.
by gwaihir » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:36 pm
> A lot of USB 3 hubs do not support USB 1.1,

... that is not really true !

I've the trouble getting my USB 1.1 logitech keyboard receiver to work on my USB 3.0 hub at the Raspberry, but NO problems with Windows. So the hardware supports USB 1.1, but Linux does have problems. (... that's the reason why I'm using Windows on all my desktop machines).
by GreenAsJade » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:00 am
I agree: it is not true that USB 3.0 hubs don't support 1.1.

Like the previous poster, I have a 3.0 hub that works perfectly well with another machine (OSX in my case) but does not work with the PI.