RaspPi & Sakis3g

7 posts
by dre » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:45 pm
Hi everyone, I received the Raspberry Pi model B just yesterday. Now I configured it properly and I'm trying to use the Archos G9 3G Stick to connect the PI tho the Internet. To use the stick with my Mepis Linux installation I must active the connection by Sakis3g and so I've immediately thought to download the script for ARM devices on the Raspberry Pi. But when I ask Sakis3g to connect it answers me:

Code: Select all
Embedded Usb-ModeSwitch binary is not valid for your architect. You need to recompile for devices to switch properly. Start by issueing: /home/pi/sakis3g recompile

When I try that command an error windows appears:

Header file usb.h missing from your sistem. This usually libusb (or libusb-compat) development kit missing.

Then, I searched the internet for any answer, and I've found a tutorial. It advises me to install ppp by running
sudo apt-get install ppp

before starting the connection process with Sakis3g. It can be the problem, but I have only the 3g stick to connect every device to the internet.

Someone can help me? Thanks.
by AlterSchwede » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:30 am
At least for Rasbian, usb-modeswitch is already is already installed (if I recall right). Therefore, you should pick the Sakis3G binary free version (http://www.sakis3g.org/versions/latest/ ... sakis3g.gz).
It runs fine on Rasbian. As you stated you might need to install ppp once by:
sudo apt-get install ppp
by ximo23 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:50 am
Hi!
Try installing USB library:
$sudo apt-get install libusb-dev
and recompile again:
$sudo ./sakis3g recompile
I'm working with Vodafone K3765-Z but with not success..
If it works say something!
by dre » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:54 pm
Hi everyone! Thanks for your help, but I've a problem. To install software I need an internet connection and I can access to it only with the 3G key. If someone can give me a ppp deb package for the Raspbian OS I'll solve my problems... only if Raspban includes gDebi! If someone can help me... Thanks! :P
by TCB13 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:14 pm
apt-get install libusb-dev
sakis3g recompile

This way it works fine, thanks for the tip ;)
by Qdoc » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:43 pm
Hi,
Regarding connection without dongle - have a google at "Wireless Internet connection sharing via ethernet in *buntu". All you need is a crossover cable. These instructions work as this is how I loaded new software to the Pi.
All the best,
Qdoc
by Qdoc » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:59 pm
Hi,
Getting Sakis3G to work took 20 minutes of trial and error just to get a connection speed of 38 kb/s. I reconnected the crossover cable to a pc with Ubuntu 12.04 and got a connection speed of 2.3 Mb/s - not great but I'm 10 Km from the antenna so I'm happy! At least downloads don't take 3 hours!
Hope this helps.
Qdoc