Dlink dub-h4 -- Any feedback at all?

16 posts
by rainmnanh » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:28 pm
Hi,

Even when it is reported the Dlink dub-h4 working fine, can anybody provide some more information in relation with this powered USB - Hub?
Any experiences in relation with this hub?

Many thanks
by CCitizenTO » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:02 pm
I ordered a DUB-H7 which has some issues but I'm hoping an upgraded firmware and distro remove all issues.
by rainmnanh » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:45 pm
Hi CCitizenTO

Which sort of issues have you found so far?
Can you provide some examples, please?

Many thanks
by CCitizenTO » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:51 am
None personally but I'm going based off of what is said in http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeriphera ... m_USB_Hubs

I upgraded my firmware and distro (debian squeeze) so I'll let you know first hand when it arrives tomorrow.
by bursar » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:56 pm
Just resurrecting this thread, as I'm considering using a DUB-H7 when my Pi arrives (to power the Pi, as well as run some peripherals). Is yours working OK?
http://mmm-pi.co.uk - my adventures with a Pi
by CCitizenTO » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:30 pm
bursar wrote:Just resurrecting this thread, as I'm considering using a DUB-H7 when my Pi arrives (to power the Pi, as well as run some peripherals). Is yours working OK?

Seems to be working fine... have issues with a wifi dongle but thats the edimax one others are having problems with...

usine Raspbian now though might try arch though
by bursar » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:25 pm
Excellent, cheers :)
http://mmm-pi.co.uk - my adventures with a Pi
by ernanonano » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:12 pm
Be carefull with the hub D-link dub h4, D-Link sais there are two hardware versions: http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-solutio ... -usb-2-hub

It turns out I have the revision C and it can't power the raspberry pi and use the hub simultaneously.
The problem is that when the RaspberryPi recognizes the hub, the hi-current port resets the connection and the RaspberryPi loses its power.

I haven't found any solution yet.
by CCitizenTO » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:36 am
You need a Y-Cable for USB A to MicroUSB. This enables you to draw amps from two ports to power the Pi.

That said if it's like the H7... the high powered ports (1.2A) become standard ports when it detects it is connected to something (500mA). I'd plug into the non-high powered ports just to be safe even if it takes up 2 slots with a y-cable.
by spitecho » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:58 am
I'm using the dub-H4 revision C without a Y-cable to power the Pi, keyboard, mouse and external HD with no problems. I don't have anything plugged into the high-current port, though.
by acolite » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:30 am
I have RPi connected to a Rev C. It all works as long as the RPi isn't connected to the high current port. In addition I have a webcam connected to the high current port and a USB stick to one of the free normal ports and everything seems to be working OK.
by CCitizenTO » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:12 pm
If it is like the H7... if your using it as a hub the high power port immediately decreases to a standard port.

On my H7 if the light is green teh high power ports are active at 1.2A. If it's blue it's being used as a hub and they're only giving out 500mA
by DimiRPI » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:35 pm
I just test the D-Link DUB-H4 hub (v. C1). It works well if don't use the `high-power` port to power your RPI.

Remark: you can use the `high-power` port to plug USB devices and it works fine.

Remark 2:
the mimi-USB cable included with the DUB-H4 was defective and did not work! I just change for another and everything is good right now.
by Gerrelt » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:35 pm
I am using this hub too, and it works pretty good.
I am using my raspberry as a squeezebox player using squeezelite, connected to the server through a (logilink) wifi dongle.

Here is the USB hub in my Radio Cassette Player housing.. :-) :

I have the USB port of the Pi connected to the mini-usb port of the hub (which is port 1).
Then I have USB powered speakers connected to the "High power" port, which is port 2.
The port next to it, port 3, is connected to the micro usb power input port of the Pi.
In port 4 is the WiFi dongle and port 5 is for the USB soundcard.

I came to this setup because if I connect the Pi "power" line to another port, say 4 or 5, I get soft popping or crackling noises on the sound output.
Apparently the power line causes distortion to the usb sound card.
With this setup the popping noises are almost completely gone.

As mentioned in the previous post, you cannot connect the Pi power line to the "high power" port. This is because that port is switched on or off according to the input the hub gets from port 1 ( I think).

Now when I switch the Pi off (sudo shutdonw -h now) , the Pi powers off, and I see the led of the PC speakers switch off, and, then switch on again... I think the hub switches to "recharge" mode once the Pi is switched off.
That's nice if you want to charge something, but not very handy for my PC speakers.
Also, when I start the Pi (plug in the power adapter of the hub) I see the speakers switch on, switch off, and switch on again... I don't now why it's doing that.

All is working fine right now, but I want to see if I can make this shutdown and startup sequence a bit less messy.

My idea is to cut the micro USB power lead for the pi and connect it directly to the power cable of the HUB power adapter. This will free up a USB port, and cannot cause any interference with the USB ports anymore.
The power to the Pi might be more stable, and I can then plug the PC speakers into a "normal" port of the hub.

What do you guys think, good idea, or not?
my Raspberry Pi page: http://raspberry.gerrelt.nl
by Gerrelt » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:12 pm
Gerrelt wrote:My idea is to cut the micro USB power lead for the pi and connect it directly to the power cable of the HUB power adapter. This will free up a USB port, and cannot cause any interference with the USB ports anymore.
The power to the Pi might be more stable, and I can then plug the PC speakers into a "normal" port of the hub.

What do you guys think, good idea, or not?

Well, I did this yesterday, and everything seems to work fine! I cut the micro USB wire and the power adapter cable and soldered it all together.
my Raspberry Pi page: http://raspberry.gerrelt.nl
by adrianTNT » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:32 am
I know this is an old thread but I think this is still relevant.

I use the Dlink H7 (revision C1) mentioned by some of you and my PI randomly stops responding. I can connect the PI and 3 USB dongles to the hub, if I plug the 4th, the PI usually stops responding.

I measured voltage on the hub ports (nothing connected) and it outputs 4.88V (but ~5.1V directly on the power adapter).

Should I return the hub? Can anyone measure their USB output on the D-link H7 or H4 ?