XHCI (USB3.0) Support

1 post
by FelesMala » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:14 pm
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and the Raspberry Pi, and so far I'm impressed, if daunted.

I've done a bit of searching, and found that the usual solution when pi users wish to hook up relatively high powered usb devices to the pi, is to use a powered hub, then power the pi from that. Additionally, the upstream usb connection from the hub is plugged into the pi, and the current-guzzling device is plugged into the hub.

Anyway, I bought a powered usb3.0 hub today from maplin :
http://www.maplin.co.uk/usb-3.0-white-4 ... hub-614634

and I'm having some difficulty getting it working, in that I get numerous boot-up error reports saying, unable to enumerate usb device, device would not accept id 5...8 etc, error 71.

I had thought that, as it's backward compatible, that a standard usb2.0 (ehci) module would suffice, but I may be wrong.

Some people have mentioned an xhci-hcd module (which went out with debian squeeze 6.0.4), which should support usb3.0 devices, and indeed, if I do lsmod | grep xhci in my virtual debian squeeze, it reports:

root@virtualPi:/home/pi# lsmod | grep xhci
xhci 29589 0
usbcore 99321 5 xhci,usbhid,ohci_hcd,ehci_hcd

however, doing this in my actual raspberry pi returns no results.

So, to get to the point, has anyone else managed to get usb3.0 hubs working? Do you have an xhci module installed? If so how?

any help would be greatly appreciated, but I realise you're all probably exceedingly busy with your own trials :-D

Greg