MCE Remote

14 posts
by kokesh » Sat May 19, 2012 11:14 am
Hi, is it possible to use Windows Media Remote control with Raspberry? I can't remember, if it was working uncer linux. I think, that it just connects as HID device if I remember correctly. It is USB IR receiver and remote.
by JeremyF » Sun May 20, 2012 12:31 am
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge
by abishur » Sun May 20, 2012 1:24 am
I have an MCE remote too, and I wasn't able to get it to work. You would need to get it to work with LIRC but for whatever reason LIRC decided to remove support for MCE remotes and move it into the linux Kernel itself. Only it's not in the streamlined r-pi kernel so you'd have to work out recompiling it into the kernel. I'm looking at an options called flirc. It's a usb receiver which you program to work with your remote, once it shows up I'll test it out to see how it works with the pi.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by milhouse » Sun May 20, 2012 3:33 am
I buy these (<---ebay link) - I've bought 3 so far and no problems whatsoever. One of them I use with a Harmony One remote (so I just needed the IR receiver) on x86/OpenELEC, and another I have tested with XBMC (raspbmc) and OpenELEC on a Pi - all worked fine.
by ITCSW » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:42 pm
I have an IR sensor that has a 3-connection 3.5mm Jack plug. Is there any way of re-programming the RPi's audio-out jack to accept this type of IR sensor? I have posted this elsewhere but I think Gert is the man for the job as he has the "low-Level knowledge"! :D
by Gert van Loo » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:54 pm
ITCSW wrote:I have an IR sensor that has a 3-connection 3.5mm Jack plug. Is there any way of re-programming the RPi's audio-out jack to accept this type of IR sensor? I have posted this elsewhere but I think Gert is the man for the job as he has the "low-Level knowledge"! :D

No! The GPIO pins driving the audio jack could be re-programmed to function as input but the PWM low pass filter is in the way.

You should connect it to the GPIO connector. The GPIO pins can be switched to input mode but if you can get it to work depends greatly on the output format of your sensor. Search for IR sensor IRDA etc, in the forum. A lot has been written about that.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by ITCSW » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:42 pm
Brilliant Thankyou Gert. I thought it might be rather wishful thinking. ;)
by DexOS » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:19 pm
ITCSW wrote:I have an IR sensor that has a 3-connection 3.5mm Jack plug. Is there any way of re-programming the RPi's audio-out jack to accept this type of IR sensor? I have posted this elsewhere but I think Gert is the man for the job as he has the "low-Level knowledge"! :D

From my understanding you can do it, by just playing the right wav file though the audio out, from the R-PI.
Here it works:
http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Inf ... hone-iPod/

NOTE: This is for, if you want to control something from your R-PI, not the other way around
Batteries not included, Some assembly required.
by ITCSW » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:26 am
Wow, that's very cool, I might use that for controlling the main TV from my Pi.....I just bought a £109 22" LED TV as a Monitor for my laptop and HDMI screen for my Pi, it works brilliantly.
by Daz555 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:51 pm
I have an old media centre remote (and IR receiver) which came bundled with a Haupage TV card I bought years ago. Works fine right out of the box when running OpenELEC.
by saintalan » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:56 pm
milhouse wrote:I buy these (<---ebay link) - I've bought 3 so far and no problems whatsoever. One of them I use with a Harmony One remote (so I just needed the IR receiver) on x86/OpenELEC, and another I have tested with XBMC (raspbmc) and OpenELEC on a Pi - all worked fine.

Hi there, wonder if you can hep with getting Harmony working with raspbmc?

I bought the same of ebay and works fine but I can no get harmony to work even using learned commands.

Cheers

Alan
by milhouse » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:29 pm
saintalan wrote:Hi there, wonder if you can hep with getting Harmony working with raspbmc?

I bought the same of ebay and works fine but I can no get harmony to work even using learned commands.

Cheers

Alan

I've got a Harmony One, set up with the desktop client software (not the new fangled web version) - I added the MCE remote as Device: Media Center PC; Manufacturer: ORtek; Model: VRC-1100. There should be no need to learn any commands.

I also use a modified remote.xml in OpenELEC - see this post - which sorts out the coloured buttons (maps them to Movies/Pictures/Video/Music etc.) and maps a few other things to my liking (for instance, the Record button becomes the Context Menu, Close and Enter toggle Audio Soundtrack and Subtitle in Playback, OK toggles Aspect Ratio during Playback etc.). This custom keymap doesn't (yet) work in Raspbmc.
by saintalan » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:00 am
Thanks Millhouse the Ortek did not work for me but managed to get it going with Chinavision, needs some mapping so will check out the other post.

What needs to happen for it to work on Raspbmc?

Thanks again

Alan
by milhouse » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:15 am
saintalan wrote:Thanks Millhouse the Ortek did not work for me but managed to get it going with Chinavision, needs some mapping so will check out the other post.

What needs to happen for it to work on Raspbmc?

Thanks again

Alan

Not sure, I think it may require some LIRC magic - I guess it will come eventually, if not I'll just keep using OpenELEC! :)