EVE Alpha: In search of passionate linux / RasPi users /IoT

8 posts
by dpslwk » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:33 pm
Some of you may have seen EVE Alpha mentioned on the blog a few days ago.

In case you missed it EVE Alpha is a add-on board with lots of different wireless support, with the aim of creating a universal home automation hub. We hope to be able to talk to everything around the house. From lights to the post box and everything in between.
We've already got the hardware board designed and they have been sent for manufacture.

EVE is an open source project, and we hope EVE Alpha will be the start of a great community.

We are looking to the R-Pi community for help crafting the software that will run EVE.
Some front end items we are looking at integrating include EMONCMS from OpenEnergyMonitor.org and the OpenRemote.org project.

Can you help us with any of the following?
Radio interfaces, particularly Z-Wave and EnOcean
Web based front end
Mobile app front end
Julius voice recognition
IFTT scheduling

We'd like the community to help defining everything down to an API for EVE's interactions.
Any input not matter how small is welcome,

There's more info and pictures on our Kickstarter project

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cis ... ent-hardwa

Many thanks
Matt
Ciseco.co.uk
OpenMicros.org
by thradtke » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:37 am
Dear Matt,

how do the radios interact with the Pi? Is there a single SPI interface through the GPIO to all of them? I'm asking because I'd like to do something with Eve+RISC OS.

Hope your nice project will get its funding!

Thomas
Full-time noob forever.
by dpslwk » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:59 am
Hi

We have a mix of interface's to go with the mix of radios, but yes most are on the SPI bus.

The Xbee socket is on the UART
The EnOcean is on a UART to I2C bridge, we had intended to use SPI but found out the EnOcean's SPI is master only.

On the SPI we have the following
SRF 868Mhz
RMF12B
Z-Wave
SRF 433Mhz

We know this is more than the two hardware select line we have on the Pi, and that we are likely going to need to work on a custom SPI driver so we can use GIPO lines for the extra CS lines
One future plan is to learn enough about all the radio protocol's to reimplement them on fewer modules.

For EVE Alpha the SRF 868Mhz is hard wired to CS0 and the others have there CS/IRQ lines brought out to solder pads for the developer to hook up as needed.

On the I2C we also have a RTC (BQ32000) and a Temp Sensor (TMP100NA)

ON the GPIO we also have the EVE's heartbeat LED and the IRQ pin for the SRF 868Mhz, these do have cut trace pads so can be disconnected if needed.

Ill be getting eagle files and pdf schematics uploaded soon after funding end's.

Hope that helps.

Matt
Ciseco.co.uk
OpenMicros.org
by thradtke » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:54 pm
It does, thanks for the exhaustive answer!
Full-time noob forever.
by thradtke » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:35 am
Congratulations, you made it! :-)
Full-time noob forever.
by toino » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:48 pm
Hello,

I'm quite interested in EnOcean. I received my EVE today and my raspberry 2 weeks ago.
I'm a begginer.
I know EnOcean a lot more (already did a gateway with openpicus board - www.openpicus.com ).

I'm trying to connect the USB300 (EnOcean) to the Rasp. Next step will be to use the EVE.
by shadax » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:05 am
Hello,
>> I'm trying to connect the USB300 (EnOcean) to the Rasp

Any success doing this and getting/sending EnOcean telegrams ?

Thanks
by tzippy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:48 am
I successfully connected a TCM 300 transceiver to the UART and am able to receive packets on it!