Aworking USB Hub ? Is there one ?

14 posts
by timmoore46 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:40 pm
7 port Hub for R Pi using Raspbian (updated)

Hi,

I've bought 4 of these but so far I've found a significant incompatibility between all them and the R Pi I've got.

a) If its connected with a 5V 3A Power Supply , the keyboard and mouse work but no Internet in the LX GUI.eg the Browser doesn't but Ping from the CLI level does.

b) If a well regulated 5V supply (7805) the no supply directly to the G Pi then ditto.

So I've concluded rightly or wrongly that the chips which drive the USB ports upset the ethernet port drivers in LX. Why is a complete mystery.

Various R Pi's have different port drive ICs.

So this leaves me in the mire as far as getting a hub running !

This is a plea for any thoughts that anyone has on how to fix this problem. Any tech info or known successful routes forward.

Any lings to an external powered hub that does work !

A hair tearing and frustrated,

:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

Tim
by dhardingham » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:15 pm
I had similar problems when using a cheap USB hub. Worse still, the hub supplied power to the Raspberry Pi via the USB uplink cable. I'm now using a Belkin 4-port hub -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Belkin-Hi-Spe ... 5ae55a2ac9

When powered, this hub works correctly, for keyboard, mouse, hard drive, memory stick and Wifi dongle (not all at once).
David Hardingham
by timmoore46 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:25 pm
Many thanks David,

That is the information I really needed !

Mega Brilliant !

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Tim
by AndrewS » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:32 pm
Have you seen the list on the wiki http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeriphera ... d_USB_Hubs :?:

Absolutely no idea what you mean by "Various R Pi's have different port drive ICs." :?
by timmoore46 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:50 pm
AndrewS wrote:Have you seen the list on the wiki http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeriphera ... d_USB_Hubs :?:

Absolutely no idea what you mean by "Various R Pi's have different port drive ICs." :?

Many many thanks !

My remarks refers to the various USB chips that are fitted from different builds.

go to elinux.org

then search for "RaspberryPi Boards" noting there is no space between Raspberry and Pi, also Boards has an s at the end.

Hope that helps !

:D :D :D :D :D

Tim
by AndrewS » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:51 am
timmoore46 wrote:
AndrewS wrote:Absolutely no idea what you mean by "Various R Pi's have different port drive ICs." :?

My remarks refers to the various USB chips that are fitted from different builds.
go to elinux.org
then search for "RaspberryPi Boards" noting there is no space between Raspberry and Pi, also Boards has an s at the end.

Ahhh, I see. In electronics terms those chips are actually all identical - they're all LAN9512 chips (USB chip with two device ports and an ethernet port).
The only differences on the markings account for different places and dates of manufacture (of the chips), but in real terms this makes absolutely no difference.
by timmoore46 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:32 am
There are a lot of mysteries as to why 7 port usb hubs, on some Raspberry's stop the ethernet port working under the LX GUI (not from Bash / CLI using Ping).

I've used a very well regulated 5V supply. Also fed the Power to the R Pi from the port and still the hub does not work. So a Belkin (?) hub is on its way.

Clutching at straws.... yes ! Lots of theories but as yet, no fix !

Many thanks for your support.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Tim
by timmoore46 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:22 am
Dhardingham's Tip about the Belkin 4 port Hub F5U234 worked a treat and for the first time I had a free port to hang some MP3 music onto my R Pi !

Mega Brilliant !

Many thanks especially for Dhardinham .

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Tim
by BillStephenson » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:55 pm
For what it's worth I plugged in a Rocketfish 4 Port USB 2.0 Hub (model # RF-NBSKHB) and it worked out of the box with my Microsoft usb mouse/keyboard. I am using the Raspbian disk image.

I did have to make my own power supply from old parts I had laying around (a 5.1v power supply from one and the connecter plug from another).

I didn't know which way to connect the wires, so I just connected them before plugging it into the RPi and the hub lit up, so I plugged it into the RPi and it worked (a check on the "Questions" link below says the connecter is "Center Positive").

USB Hub: http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/produ ... BSKHB.html

Questions: http://reviews.bestbuy.com/answers/3545 ... dir%3Ddesc
by vrodic » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:49 am
Hmm.. So I bought a DLink DUB-H7 and while it can power an USB connected 2.5 inch mechanical HD and a Webcam, it seems it can't do it at the same time (eth dies). I had a USB keyboard connected too.

I'll have to do more testing, but it seems that it (the raspberry) can't drive more than two devices at the same time. This hub now seems like a expensive way to provide power to an external hard drive, since it can't provide a good enough power supply for the Pi to reliably work with XBMC.
by timmoore46 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:29 pm
~~~~~I take the view that the IC that looks after the two USB ports and the Ethernet is temperamental in several ways.

Certainly voltage but also there is a difference at Bash (Ping works OK) to when LX is working.

So maybe the LX interface is upset for some reason when Bash is not ?

A puzzled Tim.
by vrodic » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:13 pm
vrodic wrote:Hmm.. So I bought a DLink DUB-H7 and while it can power an USB connected 2.5 inch mechanical HD and a Webcam, it seems it can't do it at the same time (eth dies). I had a USB keyboard connected too.

I'll have to do more testing, but it seems that it (the raspberry) can't drive more than two devices at the same time. This hub now seems like a expensive way to provide power to an external hard drive, since it can't provide a good enough power supply for the Pi to reliably work with XBMC.

A quick update: It seems that connecting the Logitech USB keyboard (UltraX Premium) causes the eth0 problems. I have a Logitech USB mouse, a camera, a 2.5 inch HD connected without problems. In order to connect another USB thumb driver however, I must disconnect the mouse (though eth0 continues to work even if I canćt mount the drive - dmesg says usb 1-1.2.2: reset high speed USB device number 16 using dwc_otg) . Go figure.

My pet theory is that the USB chip on the Pi can't handle too many chatty devices.
by jose1711_ » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:55 pm
tested with D-Link USB Hub DUB-H7 and raspbian. only connected keyboard/mouse (which work fine when plugged directly) - they work for a few minutes, then i get plenty of usb resets in logs and no input seems to be detected - however eth0 continues working so i can at least ssh to machine. will try newest firmware. j
by jose1711_ » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:54 am
definitely an improvement after firmw/kernel update. however when i connect my wireless logitech receiver now, eth0 is disconnected shortly after. it reconnects once i disconnect it (from usb hub).

dmesg:
Code: Select all
[36274.407985] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0: eth0: kevent 4 may have been dropped
[36274.415986] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0: eth0: kevent 4 may have been dropped