Does PI support USB PS/2 keyboard + mouse??

9 posts
by redhawk » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:55 pm
I have one of those USB HID adapters which allows me to use an old style PS/2 keyboard and mouse.

Does anyone know if ARM Linux supports this kind of adapter or do I need a pure USB keyboard and USB mouse instead??

Richard S.
by Gert van Loo » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:06 pm
You need real USB devices. PS2 is an interface which is not supported.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by rpdom » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:49 pm
Gert van Loo wrote:You need real USB devices. PS2 is an interface which is not supported.

Actually, the PS2 to USB adaptors (assuming that's what the OP was talking about) work fine with the Raspi. I use a really cheap one to connect a PS2 keyboard and mouse to mine without any problems.
by bobe » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:57 am
I can't get it working with USB PS/2 interface ...
by c.cam108 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:30 pm
rpdom wrote:
Gert van Loo wrote:You need real USB devices. PS2 is an interface which is not supported.

Actually, the PS2 to USB adaptors (assuming that's what the OP was talking about) work fine with the Raspi. I use a really cheap one to connect a PS2 keyboard and mouse to mine without any problems.

You will probably find that the keyboard and mouse you are using are capable of interfacing to PS2 and USB. The adapter will signal through the unused pins of the PS2 connector for the device to use USB.
by kaos » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:08 pm
I think people may be confusing two things here. The first is an adapter to allow USB devices to be connected to PS/2 hosts. These used to be supplied with almost all keyboards and mice, back when USB was the hot new thing, and the odds were that your computer only had PS/2 connectors. These are (usually; there may be exceptions) dumb pin adapters that relied on the peripheral to be able to handle both USB and PS/2 protocols. (Many keyboards and mice continue to have that ability, even though the adapters are no longer being shipped with them as standard. No guarantees though, caveat emptor etc.)

The second type is an interface that allows PS/2 peripherals to be used with USB hosts. These are active devices that actually translate between the two protocols; after all, PS/2 is a much older protocol, so you wouldn't expect any PS/2 device to have any knowledge of USB. These devices declare themselves as keyboard and/or mouse to the USB hosts, so I would expect them to work with the Raspi, though I must say I haven't tried. A powered hub may be required though, due to the low current nature of the Raspi USB connections.

--
Best regards, Kári.
by rpdom » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:22 pm
kaos wrote:I think people may be confusing two things here. The first is an adapter to allow USB devices to be connected to PS/2 hosts.

Yes, I have one of these that I have used with a USB mouse on an old laptop that only has PS/2 connectors. No use on the Pi at all.

kaos wrote:The second type is an interface that allows PS/2 peripherals to be used with USB hosts.

This is the type of device I was referring to. I got a couple from an ebay seller for a pound or so each. They just about work directly on the Pi in text mode, but really need a powered USB hub to work properly. There is a powered hub built into my monitor, so I use that.
by exartemarte » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:06 pm
I use a PS2 keyboard and mouse with this Belkin Adapter. It's not the cheapest, but it works reliably either through a hub or connected directly to the Pi, including the "awkward" keys, such as the pipe symbol used in Linux, which reportedly may not work with cheaper adaptors.
by wollac11 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:10 am
I use an active (not the dumb passive type) PS/2 to USB adapter to connect an old IBM model M keyboard to the Pi and it works fine. I've tested with both my model A Pi and my model B with two different model M's and had no issues. Also I didn't use a hub, I plugged it straight into the Pi with no problems.