PBX in a box

6 posts
by fuzzysb » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:54 am
Just got my PI at the weekend, and since i am working away at the moment i get some time to play.

ive got to say i am impressed what this little thing can do. for kicks i compiled asterisk 1.8 onto the PI and other than issues with some uneeded modules this worked great, i registered 3 ip phones to it as well as a SIP provider and this worked extremely well during my tests even when transcoding between formats, i dont know how many concurrent calls it could handle, but it handled two without issues.

This really could be a viable solution for a residential PBX with 2 - 3 extensions.

I run a VMware cluster at home to use for my needs and as a sandbox as part of my job, and i am already thinking about what roles that my many virtual machines fulfill that i could outsource to a bank of Raspberry PI's. the only issue is availability, i wish i had ordered more when i ordered this as now we are back to register your interest.

what i really want to do is retire my Arduino and make a daughter board for this to make use of the IO of the rasberry, somethink like the Gertboard, but i want to do it myself from scratch, i got a PCB prototyping kit for christmas i havent used yet.....so many ideas, etc...etc..

but my one big question is around the CSI connector, how soon until we have use of a camera, would be very good for some motion tracking robotics like i achieve with my Lego NXT set. but options are soo much better. i feel like a kid in a sweet shop, so much choice but so little time.

but i did promise my son he could have this one after i had had a play, but its one promise i think i just might break unless i can get another soon.

Congrats on the sucess of the device and i hello everyone on here from a 35 year old child.
by stevepdp » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:13 am
Moved to "CSI camera module" because that was the only question in your post, otherwise I guess the post could have been moved to "feedback and requests".

Pleased to hear of your successes in setting up the Pi for PBX :-)

We don't have a price or release date for the Foundation's CSI camera module yet unfortunately. It's still very much in the development and testing phase. See this blog post for more information about it.
I'm not a part of the Raspberry Pi Foundation, I'm just a very enthusiastic fan.
Web developer, hobbyist game developer and co-organiser of several things.
by jiciriaco » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:17 am
Hi fuzzysb!
I´m about to acquire a PI to set up a SOHO PBX based on Asterisk.
I´ve many questions before buying it... such as how many extensions have you configured or how many simultaneous calls have you tested with G711 or G729.

Thanks indeed!

Juan Ignacio

fuzzysb wrote:Just got my PI at the weekend, and since i am working away at the moment i get some time to play.

ive got to say i am impressed what this little thing can do. for kicks i compiled asterisk 1.8 onto the PI and other than issues with some uneeded modules this worked great, i registered 3 ip phones to it as well as a SIP provider and this worked extremely well during my tests even when transcoding between formats, i dont know how many concurrent calls it could handle, but it handled two without issues.

This really could be a viable solution for a residential PBX with 2 - 3 extensions.

I run a VMware cluster at home to use for my needs and as a sandbox as part of my job, and i am already thinking about what roles that my many virtual machines fulfill that i could outsource to a bank of Raspberry PI's. the only issue is availability, i wish i had ordered more when i ordered this as now we are back to register your interest.

what i really want to do is retire my Arduino and make a daughter board for this to make use of the IO of the rasberry, somethink like the Gertboard, but i want to do it myself from scratch, i got a PCB prototyping kit for christmas i havent used yet.....so many ideas, etc...etc..

but my one big question is around the CSI connector, how soon until we have use of a camera, would be very good for some motion tracking robotics like i achieve with my Lego NXT set. but options are soo much better. i feel like a kid in a sweet shop, so much choice but so little time.

but i did promise my son he could have this one after i had had a play, but its one promise i think i just might break unless i can get another soon.

Congrats on the sucess of the device and i hello everyone on here from a 35 year old child.
by JungleBoogie » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:08 am
jiciriaco wrote:Hi fuzzysb!
I´m about to acquire a PI to set up a SOHO PBX based on Asterisk.
I´ve many questions before buying it... such as how many extensions have you configured or how many simultaneous calls have you tested with G711 or G729.

Thanks indeed!

Juan Ignacio

I'm sure you're already aware: http://nerdvittles.com/?p=1784
Happy Hacking!
by Licaon_Kter » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:44 am
BFQ+BFS or RT on a RPi? 4'real: https://github.com/licaon-kter/ (source and compiled!)
by jfornango » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:27 pm
I was poking around various robotics forums over the weekend. Someone has already strapped the LEGO Mindstorms controller brick to the RPi. Using the LEGO module as the interface for sensors and motor control is great.

A terrific demonstration of convergent technologies.
I'm only wearing black until they find something darker.