Camera Light Frequency Sensitivity

8 posts
by poiqwe » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:03 am
Without the IR filter on; what is the range of frequencies of light that the camera module can receive? The sensor is an OmniVision OV5647.
by jbeale » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:53 pm
I have no idea what the exact OV5647 spectral sensitivity curve is, but most cameras are similar in this regard. Silicon-based detectors are typically sensitive to light from about 350 nm (ultraviolet) out to about 1000 nm (near infrared). Those are the limits; the sensitivity is greatest somewhere around 700 to 800 nm (which is red to near infrared).

If you need to detect light wavelengths outside those limits, you need to use other materials besides, or in combination with silicon.
by fuffkin » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:58 pm
Does anyone know what the curve / characteristic of the IR filter is?

Btw I asked Omnivision for a spectral response curve for the sensor, they were all happy to help until I told them I wasn't building a new camera, then they told me they were too busy to help me and to get lost. I did glean that they won't give out a spectral curve without an NDA. In the spirit of Open Hardware, their attitude and that of Broadcom saddens me :(
Sleepy Pi - Extend RPi battery life with a plugin Power Management & Arduino I/O board
http://www.spellfoundry.com
by leol » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:31 pm
As far as I know, no one has ever said the Pi or its Camera board were open hardware.

fuffkin wrote:Does anyone know what the curve / characteristic of the IR filter is?

Btw I asked Omnivision for a spectral response curve for the sensor, they were all happy to help until I told them I wasn't building a new camera, then they told me they were too busy to help me and to get lost. I did glean that they won't give out a spectral curve without an NDA. In the spirit of Open Hardware, their attitude and that of Broadcom saddens me :(
by jamesh » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:47 pm
fuffkin wrote:Does anyone know what the curve / characteristic of the IR filter is?

However, in the spirit of staying in business, it seems an attractive approach.

Not sure who makes omnivision modules, but if you find the curve for ones made in the same place, it's likely to have the same response. The response is dictated by the pigments used in the microlenses, and I *think* unless you specify them you probably get a fairly standard set.

You could probably work out a partial response from the CCM used in the ISP - take a picture and extract the makernote data and you can get the CCM.
Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at Picademy September, October, November 2014.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by fuffkin » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:04 pm
You could probably work out a partial response from the CCM used in the ISP - take a picture and extract the makernote data and you can get the CCM.

Jamesh,

Lol, you've completely lost me there! CCM? ISP? Makernote data?

Over my head I'm afraid.

Jon
Sleepy Pi - Extend RPi battery life with a plugin Power Management & Arduino I/O board
by jamesh » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:38 pm
fuffkin wrote:

Jamesh,

Lol, you've completely lost me there! CCM? ISP? Makernote data?

Over my head I'm afraid.

Jon

CCM = colour correction matrix. The matrix used to compensate for the spectral response of the filters in the sensor- all RGB values from the sensor (after a lot of debayering etc since the sensor isn't RGB) are multiplied out by this 3x3 matrix
ISP = Image system pipeline - the path the image data takes from the sensor to finally being a image that looks like an image. Lots of stages here.
makernote data = data stored in the JPEG file which contains supplier specific information (ie not in the standard EXIF data). In our case, this is a string added by the ISP to record certain setting used when taking the picture.

If that still doesn't make sense, then you probably don't need the spectral response curve anyway.
Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at Picademy September, October, November 2014.
by fuffkin » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:00 pm
Jamesh,

Thanks for that, I have now attained a state of partial enlightenment! :D

Jon