CSI camera/DSI display

24 posts
by P8ntBal1551 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:37 pm
Where can I buy a camera to connect over the CSI, or a display to connect over the DSI?

If you just say eBay, can you tell me what i would search for?
by jamesh » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:35 pm
P8ntBal1551 said:

Where can I buy a camera to connect over the CSI, or a display to connect over the DSI?

If you just say eBay, can you tell me what i would search for?

The particular cameras/displays have not yet been decided on so at this stage you cannot buy them. Once the boards production is all sorted and up to speed the foundation can spend some time on peripherals!

Part of the problem is the you will need an adapter boards for the Pi to the particular camera being used - and those simply haven't been designed yet. Camera's don't just 'plug in', they need something to plug in to.

Just for fun, here are some cameras to give you some idea. The one on left is already mounted on an adapter board (not one that fits on Raspi)

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w143/JamesHughes_photos/RaspberryPi/CameraSensors1.jpg
Raspberry Pi Engineer
Raspberry Pi Engineer
by P8ntBal1551 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:35 pm
o sweet

I thought it would be more like a developers board where you have to go find parts to put on it.

Could you give me a ball park on how much? (ex $1-$30, $31-$75...)
by jamesh » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:18 pm
P8ntBal1551 said:

o sweet

I thought it would be more like a developers board where you have to go find parts to put on it.

Could you give me a ball park on how much? (ex $1-$30, $31-$75...)

No idea on price. This is a problem - usually the camera manufacturers only sell in VERY large quantities if you want a sensible price. Look up the Nokia N8 camera on Ebay for a ballpark - that's pretty high end, so should be less than that. No promises!
Raspberry Pi Engineer
Raspberry Pi Engineer
by na1pir » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:49 pm
It would be really nice if someone with proper skills creates interface boards for diffident cheap lcd displays like ipad, NDSi, N800...
by Piw32 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:55 pm
I DSI norm just about electronics or also about physical connectors ?
by jamesh » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:03 pm
It's about the signal (and even that needs tweaking), I think the connectors vary wildly, hence the difficulty.
Raspberry Pi Engineer
Raspberry Pi Engineer
by elmot » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:59 am
jamesh wrote:P8ntBal1551 said:

No idea on price. This is a problem - usually the camera manufacturers only sell in VERY large quantities if you want a sensible price. Look up the Nokia N8 camera on Ebay for a ballpark - that's pretty high end, so should be less than that. No promises!

Prices for the cameras is quite low. Spare iPhone 3G camera is about $6 in a shop near my home. Also you can buy virtually any camera on china online shops, like aliexpress.com or dx.com
Just as example - 5 iPhone 4G cameras for $10 - http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/50 ... alers.html
So, there are only three questions: pinout? drivers? compatibility?
by jamesh » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:50 am
One last question - has it been tuned already by Broadcom (or is it similar enough to an existing tuned device)? Which does limit the options a lot. Tuning is absolutely necessary or the pictures are awful.
Raspberry Pi Engineer
Raspberry Pi Engineer
by ross » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:20 pm
I believe:
- the iPhone4 rear sensor is a 5Mpix Omnivision OV5650.
- the iPhone4S rear sensor is an 8Mpix Sony IMX145.
by jamesh » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:38 am
Interesting, thanks. Not sure we have tuning for those, but we do have tunings for similar ones. Problem is, similar isn't usually good enough - even modules from the same manufacturer that appear the same can require very different settings. For example, on some Nokia phones, where they had multiple sources for the same front camera, we had to tune each, apparently identical sensor (to the end user), separately.
Raspberry Pi Engineer
Raspberry Pi Engineer
by rew » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:35 am
please, please, please read viewtopic.php?f=43&t=6691&p=103483#p103483 and leave the tuning to the community. Spend YOUR time on something we need YOU for.
Give 1000 raspberry pi users a small app with 16 knobs, and someone will come up with the proper tuning matrix soon enough. (for B&W there are a only 4 relevant parameters. So tuning will be easy. Release the camera with: "B&W works, but we're confident that color works too")
Check out our raspberry pi addons: http://www.bitwizard.nl/catalog/
by ceteras » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:02 pm
The same thing would be nice for displays: please release code for just turning on the DSI, and let the community do the rest of the tweaks and tuning.
I've seen people hack into all kind of phone displays, in my many searches on the Internet, and I know there is talent out there waiting for a shot to do it.
I don't think that the priority between the CSI cameras and DSI displays should go to the former, as the displays have a lot more applications.
Also you don't have to do any kind of marketing research. People will find their own displays from various sources, and if a mass-produced cheap display is needed as another revenue source for the Foundation, it will also be there in the end.
by prosecco » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:08 am
I 'ts a pity that so much effort was put into developing such a powerful hardware platform and not enough on the display issue.
It doesn't make much sense to spend 30€ for the main board and have to spend 100€ or more to get an HDMI display or a HDMI to VGA adapter.
I don't think many of us have access to video composite monitors anymore.
I actually find it a waist of resources such a perpheral.
This board is particulatly suitable for embedded applications with small displays.
My opinion is that until there will be access to a resonably cheap display with DSI interface, this platform will not have the diffusion it deserves.
by obarthelemy » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:45 pm
100€ for an HDMI to VGA adapter ?
by prosecco » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:20 pm
Yes, for a good one.
There are cheaper ones too but not recommended, according to comments I found on the web.
Maybe you want to try, in case let us know if you find a good and cheap one.
by 6677 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:09 am
prosecco wrote:I don't think many of us have access to video composite monitors anymore.

You own a television do you not? Even the £1500 tv someone I know just bought has a composite input. All the TV's in my house have one.
by KoolKevin123 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:44 am
prosecco wrote:"...I don't think many of us have access to video composite monitors anymore..."

I have no idea which rock you have been living under but i do not know anyone who does not have a TV with composite video. and about half of those people have HDTVs, including me.
by MarcinM » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:55 pm
prosecco wrote:Maybe you want to try, in case let us know if you find a good and cheap one.

http://www.ebay.pl/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251086464644 I've bought this one. Monitor is detected automatically, but sometimes RPi requires a reboot to set optimal settings (I guess RPi boots quicker than the adapter...). Forcing settings in config.txt works every time. The is a (small?) problem with D1 diode getting hot as described here: http://www.elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals#HDMI-.3EVGA_converter_boxes but it doesn't go too hot to touch. Other adapters are also listed there. Hope you'll find something useful!
by daveshorts » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:01 pm
Just to increase your options HDMI and DVI are electrically identical, so you can buy HDMI to DVI cables for a couple of quid on ebay.
by jfornango » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:20 pm
All of my televisions (even the new panel type) have composite, component and HDMI input.

As for such a powerful platform having shortcomings, remember, this board was designed arouns a budget, not features. It has all of the basics already there (I/O and networking), provisions to expand within the limits of the platform, and provisions to expand the platform (through the GPIO).

All-in-all, the RPi is an amazing device. Yes, competitors like Arduino have more options, but they have been around longer and have the development time to show for it. For a truely hobbyist system, the RPi has a robust core structure. It is now up to us, the hobbyists, to develop the expansions and share our designs with the world.
I'm only wearing black until they find something darker.
by abg » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:41 pm
Some small progress...
Whilst James H is off on his travels, Gert gave me a 5Mpix camera last week, and I brought up the driver and put in a basic tune. So that has proven the HW interface and camera board design. Well done Gert - it worked without needing any HW mods. We now have to do the plumbing to make this visible to linux...
by jfornango » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:13 pm
Gert. Is there anything he can't do? :lol:

On the plus side, the holidays are almost upon us. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I get an RPi for Xmas. If not, it will be my present to myself.

I really can't wait to start playing with this thing. There is so much potential, if you (meaning "we") are willing to do a little work. I haven't been in "hardware mode" in years, and seriously craving the smell of molten solder. ;)
I'm only wearing black until they find something darker.
by Gert van Loo » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:00 pm
jfornango wrote:Gert. Is there anything he can't do? :lol:

Yes, he can't write camera drivers....
Raspberry Pi Engineer
Raspberry Pi Engineer