Gertboard Simulation

6 posts
by stevep » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:05 am
Is there a GUI Gertboard simulator by any chance? If not, it is simpler (for me) just to make up a veroboard with some leds on it If so, has anyone posted a veroboard schematic yet?
Also I've just downloaded the Gertboard software (thinking it might be some sort of simulator). After spending a very long time trying to turn it into something useable I managed to get something (not very much, just what seems to be a list - control motor, leds, etc) to happen in a terminal window, but have no idea what it is meant to achieve. Can someone enlighten me?
by domesday » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:32 am
I'm not sure what the point of a simulator would be.

The Gertboard is basically a collection of useful components such as an A/D, D/A motor controller, a bunch of LED's that can be connected together with jumper wires. All of this could be done on a breadboard/veroboard quite easily. Having a Gertboard just brings all these separate items together on to a single PCB for convenience.

So if you wanted to build the functionality of the A/D yourself just grab a MCP3002 put it on a breadboard and connect up the SPI terminals and away you go.
by stevep » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:33 pm
domesday wrote:I'm not sure what the point of a simulator would be.

Well, for teaching, it would save having to buy (or make) a whole class set of Gertboards. For anyone else, it would enable you to test programs virtually, and then build the Gertboard with the right number of inputs and outputs for your particular application.
by chrisbitz » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:30 am
At the risk of thread necromancy, this would be brilliant!

I can't wait to buy one when it comes out, but in the meantime, it would be great to be working on learning to write the code now, so that as soon as it's available, I can plug it in, and everything's ready to go!

Alternatively, if I'm thinking the wrong way round, is there a better way I can get started on learning programming IO code safely?
by csoutreach » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:21 pm
We've got a simulator for PiFace and are looking at porting it to Gertboard and similar boards -- or if anyone fancies helping us out?
The video shows it working with Scratch, but it works with Python too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhaWDUAuajE&t=1m5s
http://piface.openlx.org.uk/ Raspberry Pi IO Interface Board
by stevep » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:44 pm
That's exactly the sort of thing I had in mind. I hope you can get someone to help out doing the Gertboard version.