Have PSN?

5 posts
by freebird » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:51 pm
I was surprised that raspberry pi has not addressed privacy. Especially since the One Laptop per Child (OLPC) movement use of Marvell Technology Group,ltd's wifi technology enables spying on the geolocation of all the laptops. "Each laptop will act as a node in a mesh peer-to-peer and ad hoc network, allowing several hundred machines to share a single online connection." http://www.marvell.com/products/pcconn/ ... elease/557

If the raspberry pi does not have an ad hock network and does not have a processor serial number (PSN), I will buy one. Otherwise, I am forced to buy a 2004 or older MAC with an IBM processor as they are the latest computers without a PSN.

All the computers sold in the United States have either a processor by Intel or AMD. Since 1995, Intels processors have a PSN. Difficult to obtain information on when AMD started PSN. Intel's AMT and AMD DASH enable "IT administrators", governments and hackers to hack the BIOS virtually undetectable. Intel AMT and AMD DASH enable Wake on Lan (WOW), altering the BIOS, altering the OS, etc.

I am a domestic violence victim. My abuser hired hackers to hack my computer. I installed Fedora. I went online only with live Linux DVDs using an USB network adapter to change my MAC address. I didn't use the USB network adapter when I didn't go online. My abuser's hackers procured my PSN, hacked my BIOS and infected my graphic card and motherboard with firmware rootkits.

I hope the raspberry pi with Fedora installed will offer a little bit of privacy since all other computers no longer do.
by Gert van Loo » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:32 pm
The only thing which separates one PI from the other is it's MAC address. The foundation has bought a whole bundle of MAC addresses and is obliged to give each PI its own address.
But Linux allows you to override that and choose your own MAC address. Here is a web page which tells you how to do it:
http://debianletters.blogspot.co.uk/2007/12/how-to-change-mac-address-of-ethernet.html
Officially you should only select a MAC address which is not already used. I do no know enough about networking, but I think that is OK as long as the same MAC address is not on your network segment. (Here is where other can jumps in and say that is not true)

I am sure if every geek on this website has a dozen or more old Ethernet cards which are no longer used and you can use any of their MAC addresses.
Be careful if you ask, because before you know it you will have a few thousand MAC addresses and you might drown in them. :-)
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by Mortimer » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:07 am
The same MAC address on the same network segment is certainly a problem. I have experienced this when helping out our engineers who decide to duplicate virtual machines and run them both on the same cluster!!

I am not sure what would happen if you have the same MAC address appearing on two sides of a single router, could cause problems with ARP and the routing tables on the router.

In any event neither of these situations are likely to occur in a home use situation, and pretty unlikely if you used a public access network, like wifi in a coffee shop.

I have a whole box full of cheap USB-Ethernet adapters which proved very problematic when we tried to use them in projects. They all had the same MAC address, which was 00-00-00-00-00-00!! Not very useful at all, unless we are very careful to use them in isolation from one and other.
by ghans » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:35 am
Err...
mesh networking has nothing to do with geolocation.
Especially when the whole "mesh" moves around (Laptops !) and the nodes are meant to go offline now and then.
You need a gigantic wardriving database for Geolocation and only Apple , Google and the company Apple used to contract before are big enough to mantain those (excluding the Illuminati and No Such Agency of course :lol: ).

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by ghans » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:44 am
You could look into the Yeelong Lemote - i think nobody did a complete code audit yet , but you also could spend some kilodollars
to get insight into the MIPS IP. AFAIK previously they even produced the CPUs without a proper license.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org