Vehicle OBD-II interface (NOT CAN BUS)

9 posts
by monkey_beast » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:07 pm
Hi guys,

I've been mulling over using the Pi as a data logging solution for recording OBD-II data and GPS data to overlay on Video information. I have a track car, and have been looking at Data Logging units and the prices are astronomical.

The car is relativly old, so it does not have CAN BUS for its ECU, but instead uses the older OBD-II standard. I'm trying to figure out whether using the GPIO on the Pi will be better/easier than using the standard USB type connections. I know there is software out there for Linux that will allow me to log the data, so using that sort of thing, allong with some nice Push-button tactile switched, coupled with a couple of LEDs would allow me to have a light-weight, stand-alone system, which I can leave in the car at all times, and just whip out the SD card with my data on for analysis.

I'm new to this whole thing, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Ads
by southpaw » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:52 pm
not pi related but a small cheap bluetooth obd2 connector

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/o.....825?item=8 works superbly with an android phone running the torque app

sure the obd can speak to the pi with a simple bluetooth usb dongle , whether the android app torque can be used on the pi is another question, or maybe some other software can be utilised for pi
by ferik » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:46 pm
I have a similar Bluetooth OBD-II module. I wonder what I'd need to do to make it work with the RPI. It's annoying to prototype with the car nearby running but I'll try it out.
by zardoz99 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:13 pm
Why don't you contact the author of Torque and ask for his input?
From what I understand, he is approachable...

Z.
by l3ndx » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:46 pm
R-pi would be a great carputer with:
- OBDII system
- GPS module
- Dash and rear camera with cycle recording
by ferik » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:50 pm
Isn't this where an Arduino would be better?
by pyrilampes » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:02 pm
I am interested in this specifically for my current project.
Researching bluetooth obd-II interface specifically.

If Arduino can become an Mp3 server, Vehicle monitoring system, GPS, NFC sensor, Weight sensor and internet hotspot at the sametime, then it would be wonderful. ;)
by elektrknight » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:38 pm
I would say Bluetooth OBDII interface like the ELM327 based is the most convenient solution. It is powered from the OBDII connector and there are no wires to get tangled in. I am using a setup like that with Android based phone but just got the
Bluetooth USB dongle for the RPi. My only regret is not getting the mini version and opting for the full size which in my car sticks out a bit. I would recommend checking location of your OBDII connector before buying OBDII interface, for some reason they look a lot smaller in the pictures :-)
Placek Malinowy to jest to!
by m3cbr600 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:17 pm
Just information for everyone - I tried to use this setup on my Fiat Ducato 2003 2.8 JTD based motorhome and whilst it had an OBD socket near the driving wheel, it would seem it's not strictly OBD compliant and fails to connect with the ELM327. Works great on the car though :)

Mike.