Bluetooth Adapter

7 posts
by interbred_monkey » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:07 pm
I have read a lot of posts on Bluetooth adapters and how to make them work with the Pi.

My problem is that it basically just doesn't return any results when scanning, nor does it connect to anything.
So what I have done so far:

apt-get upgrade
    updated the firmware
    rebooted
    apt-get install bluetooth bluez-utils blueman
    rebooted
    Plugged in the adapter

Then I ran the bluetooth status:
Code: Select all
/etc/init.d/bluetooth status

Which told me:
pi@monkeypi ~ $ /etc/init.d/bluetooth status
bluetooth is running.
pi@monkeypi ~ $

I have seen a lot of posts which have a [ok] at the beginning of this but no matter how many times I restart/re-install bluetooth I have never seen an ok.

If I list the device it's there like so:
pi@monkeypi ~ $ hcitool dev
Devices:
   hci0   00:15:83:3D:0A:57

But when I search for the bluetooth devices nearby I get nothing:
pi@monkeypi ~ $ hcitool scan
Scanning ...
pi@monkeypi ~ $

I know for a fact there is at least 5 devices nearby. The light is flashing on the bluetooth adapter and when scanning it goes solid so I know it's trying to do something, I just dont know what I have done wrong.

I tried to do something simple with a local phone and got no luck:
pi@monkeypi ~ $ sudo hcitool info 00-26-bb-7a-0c-7a
Requesting information ...
Can't create connection: Input/output error
pi@monkeypi ~ $

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The adapter is plugged directly into the pi just for clarification.
by rpiuser3000 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:32 pm
What is the model of your bluetooth? Type lsusb into console and check if it shows something like
Bus 001 Device 00x: ID 0xxx:0xxx BT Adapter name(No firmware)
Replug bluetooth(also check if your raspberry goes into reboot as you do that) and type dmesg see if it shows any errors there. Check if your bluetooth is in this list http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeriphera ... h_adapters. Try to connect it through powered and non-powered usb hubs.
by interbred_monkey » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:05 am
Ok so this is a bit wierd, I looked into the problem and the device appears to be working fine, however I have just tried it on other (windows) machines and they all had the same issue. The device installed and seemed to work fine but none of them could see any bluetooth devices.

Needless to say I am sending the adapter back.

Thanks for all the help rpiuser3000.

To answer the questions too, the adapter is listed here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001 ... UTF8&psc=1

Uplugging it and plugging it back in did not cause a reboot and dmesg provided no errors. I tried using a usb hub and that made no difference.

Sometimes it's just down to faulty hardware. I am going to order another one of the same adapters and see if it will work so it can be added to the list of success/fails.
by cae2100 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:07 pm
have you checked your bluetooth devices to make sure they're discoverable? Usually if it's a cell phone or something like that, they will only stay discoverable for 3 mins then dissappear again.
If it isnt smoking and blown into pieces, it's not pushed far enough yet. :P
http://cae2100.wordpress.com
by MattHawkinsUK » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:17 pm
I agree with cae1200. It won't see any devices unless they are in discoverable mode.
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook and Twitter (@RPiSpy)
by interbred_monkey » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:37 am
Sorry about the late reply. I checked to make sure the devices are discoverable. I have tried the adapter at work where there are 8 macs all with bluetooth on all the time, mice, keyboards and other devices and the adapter still would not pick up any devices.
by OtherCrashOverride » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:36 pm
I also had bluetooth issues. The first issue was exactly as you report. This was solved by plugging the adapter directly into the Pi instead of through the powered hub I was using. After that, it would scan and connect to devices but would not maintain a connection. I eventually ended up using a cheap no-name brand adapter which performs adequately with my bluetooth keyboard but does occasionally suffer issues with the device sleeping and trying to reconnect.

The moral of the story is: try a different adapter.

(ironically, the troublesome bluetooth device was based on a Broadcom chipset.)