The projects list. Look here for some ideas.

204 posts   Page 4 of 9   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9
by eloquentmess » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:32 pm
I don't know if anyone here has posted this idea yet, but I'm planning on using the R-Pi as a MUD server. I know that it's capable of a lot more, but I've been looking for a cheap system to run a MUD server on, and the R-Pi fits the bill. Not to mention, I could concurrently run an Apache install with an HTML5 MUD client as the homepage, so that people would be able to just browse to my site and use the MUD from their browsers.

I imagine that the R-Pi would be more than capable of hosting a MUD and web server, with more than enough room to spare for additional features. Perhaps a forum for the players? If nothing else, there would be plenty of HDD space for building an expansive and amazing game world.
by PaulTech » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:37 am
Ennio said:

fireraisr said:

Ennio said:

Hi everyone!

I don't know a single thing about linux and debian; so far I've installed xubuntu on virtualbox and the terminal told me I do forbidden things.

But enough talking about me: my parents' dishwasher caught on fire, twice: they decided to change it, so I had fun dismantelling it. Now I have an electric motor shaped as a metallic "U" with two cooper coils on each side (its name is askoll m 96 3 and there's written "220-230Vac 50hz 0.50A 60W" on its label); an immaculate selco circuit diagram and three fans (from old dvd players).

Now, my question is: can I build a sturdy, cheap and yet fun to play with 4wd rc car out of these components? I've also made a drawing of it (it's a bit terrible) and I would like to use a raspberry pi model A to make everything work together.

I'll use a vcr case for the floor, for the axles, shaft and gears I'll find something at a hardware shop; for the suspensions and wheels I've no idea... I think I'll need a switch, too.

Will I need a driver to make the diagram work? How many batteries will I need?raspberry mobile Is it really

You won't be able to do much, the 220V motors are AC and for battery use you really need DC motors. Even if you used a power invertor DC to AC , you can't easily reverse an AC motor. I found an old 1:10 scale 4wd RC car some one was tossing in a bin, needed a new battery (ebay $29) a controller(ebay$18 arduino) and a new servo for steering(ebay $12) and now I have a very nice high speed robotic platform. Yes a R-Pi would do the processing 100+ times faster, but I have it running now. Look out in junk piles for childrens electric cars/ bikes or battery powered drills, all of these would be a better colution.

by PaulTech » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:48 am
tr1ck5t3r said:

ethelthefrog said:

I was thinking about using one as a NAT/Firewall thingy for my house.  The ADSL line rate isn"t going to stress the USB at all, even with two ethernet interfaces plugged in.  Log messages can be forwarded to the always-on house server, and it"s not going to chew very much power.  Win all round.

EtF

This might interest you. http://doc.pfsense.org/index.p.....ense#Linux

You see it running on Atom devices which is closer to ARM spec & aims than the bigger Intel/AMD cpu"s.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com.....th-pfsense

On the subject of media players and so on, this might be a good start for some.

https://www.linux.com/news/software/applications/287828:the-five-best-linux-video-players

A firewall with only one ethernet port really isn't much of a firewall, you could probably add another via a SPI connection but very very slow. Even connecting two R-Pis together wouldn't speed things up as there is no common bus and again they would need to communicate via a SPI or I2C bus, neither designed for the task. Stop thinking about ADSL start thinking fiber speeds, ADSL is so 2000's.
by tbyt » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:47 am
Has anyone thought of making a SAMBA based Primary Domain Controller with DNS/DHCP for home/school/small business?

I have a PC based PDC in the loft and it burns a lot of power for not much benefit. A RasPi one would be great.

Does anyone know of any simple GUIs for SAMBA/DNS/DHCP I could include to make it easy for anyone to use?

Thanks.
by Treadwell57 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:58 pm
Hopefully going to use the RPi to control some remote control sockets to work with timers. This would involve breaking into the remote for the sockets and connecting it to the RPi"s GPIO and writing a program to turn the sockets on/off at set times!
by doctorwho » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:48 pm
I'm thinking of giving my raspberry pi great internet and remote controlling it. If I have lousy internet I can just remote control the raspberry pi from where I am and use the raspberry pi's good internet. I have a few questions though.

-Is this even viable( can a raspberry pi browse the internet at a reasonably fast speed)?

-Should the raspberry pi use wifi or ethernet, is one faster?

-Is there an os that is good for browsing( their is a os called browser linux but it will not run on arm)

-Any other recommendations?

Thanks.
by Arctic Giraffe » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:47 am
I'm going to build an android version of myself and send it out into the world as my surrogate.

I think I'll need 3 RPis for this project.  So will have to wait until I can buy more than one.

P.S. I haven't decided whether to use it for good or for evil yet.
by viciouspenguin » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:48 am
Automated Trans-Atlantic Solar Boat.

A simple(ish) idea; Build a small boat (1.2m, 3 or 4 foot in length, and 60cm, or 1.5 foot wide), cover the upper deck in solar panels.

Using a GPS attached to an RPi give the boat a destination and drop it in the sea. Wait.

Now i expect it will need some refinement, and specific parameters, such as laying dormant at night, using the solar energy to power the unit in day and charge a night-time backup battery for the dormant phase.

as for what it will do while crossing the atlantic, who knows. thats something which would be talked about.

The Pi's low power requirments make this more than a possibility....
FishPi: An autonomous drop In the Ocean.
by iaston » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:00 pm
nicksoph said:

I was struck by how many people have such a wide range of uses for the R.Pi and thought I would try and design a minimal case that might meet those diverse needs. What I eventually came up with was not a case but simply a board holder that held the board and made it easier to affix it to other things. Ive called it a protocase and it will fit directly onto a lego base board and has enough internal clearance to allow screwing onto a flat base.

protocase1

I have printed this and it seems to be fine but cant be sure till we see the final boards.

Id be interested to hear peps opinions and any ideas for improvements.

nicksoph

I love this idea Nick - Let me know if you get them built, I would certainly buy one (ebay or whatever)...
by colincoach » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:37 pm
BillyHill said:

I'd like to use RPi to run a cheap, intelligent, versatile, web enabled home alarm / automation system using USB web cams as motion detectors and image capture devices.

Connected to my home LAN I can control it from my smartphone, PC, tablet, etc.

Second project, use RPi as a cheap vhf/uhf repeater using 1(simplex) or 2(duplex) walkie-talkies hoisted 10m aloft by a weather balloon. Extends the range of the bubble pack hand-helds when you go camping, hiking, hunting, farming, holiday, etc.

Not much to do because most of the software already exists, I think. Students could have a whale of a time porting the code.

Would be interested in the home alarm feasability of using the RPi - but rather than USB cams could wireless ones be integrated instead/as well?
by fireraisr » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:06 pm
Seen a few posts that are very vague and thought I should mention some general expectations for project postings.

1. There are no bad idea's.

2. The only bad idea's are incomplete idea's.

The best way to get someone on board with a project you want to do or are even considering doing is to invest some time into developing the idea.

Theoretically anything is possible it's only a question of how much effort are you willing to put into getting there.

People flock to projects that are well thought out and have a general sense of capability. Do some research and provide a few links to what you'd like to use. If it's purely software maybe give a list of what it will do and why.

Basically there aren't many people that will work on a project just because it's a cool idea and if they do often times they don't like to share.

The more info you give the more you'll get in return.
by Trav » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:27 pm
I had thought of using the board with an infrared USB webcam in an unmanned wildlife camera, perhaps later adding a camera module for higher quality stills.

I would need motion detection software to start the recording and keep it going until the motion has stopped for a period.

I have ideas about keeping power consumption low during idle periods, by for example, having two infrared sources; one low power for detection, and a higher power one for illumination that is only switched on during recording.

The lot would be in a weatherproof enclosure with a large-ish battery pack.

Commercial units are very expensive, and I believe I could build one for 25-50% of the cost using the Pi. The lack of an RT clock for time-stamping is one fly in the ointment, but not a show-stopper.
1st Batch Model B (256M) running Raspbian, Pibrow case, with RaspiCam.
Model A (256M) running Raspbmc, caseless.
by fireraisr » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:03 am
Trav said:

I had thought of using the board with an infrared USB webcam in an unmanned wildlife camera, perhaps later adding a camera module for higher quality stills.

I would need motion detection software to start the recording and keep it going until the motion has stopped for a period.

I have ideas about keeping power consumption low during idle periods, by for example, having two infrared sources; one low power for detection, and a higher power one for illumination that is only switched on during recording.

The lot would be in a weatherproof enclosure with a large-ish battery pack.

Commercial units are very expensive, and I believe I could build one for 25-50% of the cost using the Pi. The lack of an RT clock for time-stamping is one fly in the ointment, but not a show-stopper.

Great idea Trav!

The Pi is supposedly going to have a camera that you can integrate later this year so you could use that natively. You might need to convert the sensor to infrared which shouldn't be too hard, just change a filter.

The GPIO should be able to help with your LED's too.
by Trav » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:28 am
fireraisr said:

The Pi is supposedly going to have a camera that you can integrate later this year so you could use that natively. You might need to convert the sensor to infrared which shouldn't be too hard, just change a filter.

The GPIO should be able to help with your LED's too.

Thanks, Fireraisr, I had thought of using a flash with the stills camera to get colour, to supplement the monochrome IR videos, so there would be no need to modify the camera. Apparently, many animals and birds aren't too phased by flash, as it looks like lightning to them.

Although I have ordered a "B" for experimentation, (no delivery until mid-May :-( ) this project might suit an "A" when they become available.

I have a holder for 4 AA 2900 mAH NiMH cells which will give me 5 volts for the power supply, and a cheap USB camera for prototyping. However at 700mA, the batteries will only last 4 hours, (ignoring the camera and lights) so i may have to double up on batteries to get a whole night's monitoring, or find a way to power down unused peripherals in software. Naturally the network and video circuits won't be needed during monitoring, but I don't know enough about the architecture yet to know how realistic it would be to put them into a low power mode.
1st Batch Model B (256M) running Raspbian, Pibrow case, with RaspiCam.
Model A (256M) running Raspbmc, caseless.
by TechColab » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:38 am
Arctic Giraffe said:

I'm going to build an android version of myself and send it out into the world as my surrogate.

I think I'll need 3 RPis for this project.  So will have to wait until I can buy more than one.

P.S. I haven't decided whether to use it for good or for evil yet.

Oh, why isn't there a "Like" button for this?   ;-)
by TechColab » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:41 am
KVM2VNC
A portable, external, hot-pluggable interface to control a headless server.
Basic functionality of HP iLO or Dell DRAC, like this ..
http://www.epiphan.com/product.....s/kvm2usb/
.. but with the much higher capturing capability of this ..
http://www.epiphan.com/product.....ga2usb-lr/
.. for about GBP60 with a case, by using one of these ..
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/.....c/6977482/
Only, instead of plugging into a laptop's USB and having to install proprietary software,
it would use Ethernet and any VNC client.
by maximlus » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:38 pm
I dono if this is possible or even a good idea, sorry if it has already been posted.
I would quite like to place a touch screen onto the devise along with a standby button to save battery power and use it as a mobile only no calling just to fins near by pubs at uni and taking note/coding on the go.Weather the battery would die to quicly I don't know. (Still learning all this stuff) I would most likely take piece from such things as old phones and integrate them somehow Such as a Nokia battery or one from a DS. If anyone has any thought or idea's on this I would be great-full. :)
by iaston » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:38 pm
nicksoph said:

I was struck by how many people have such a wide range of uses for the R.Pi and thought I would try and design a minimal case that might meet those diverse needs. What I eventually came up with was not a case but simply a board holder that held the board and made it easier to affix it to other things. Ive called it a protocase and it will fit directly onto a lego base board and has enough internal clearance to allow screwing onto a flat base.

protocase1

I have printed this and it seems to be fine but cant be sure till we see the final boards.

Id be interested to hear peps opinions and any ideas for improvements.

nicksoph

Love this idea Nick – I will buy one from you when you can print or produce them… PM me if you need more contact details.

Ian

[Edit] Woops - looks like the previous time I posted this it actually worked, despite giving me a DB error and not appearing in the thread. Sorry :(
by Ennio » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:26 pm
Hi! I've seen this usb charger in a supermarket http://www.duracell.it/it-IT/p.....50mah.jspx and maybe it can be used to power the RasPi itself, but I have a question: why does that charger last only 3 hours, if 1150 mah is the same of my blacberry battery, which lasts at least half a week?

then, considering I don't care about design, why can't we just assemble the RasPi with a battery pack, a keyboard with no numpad and a car monitor clinged to it, making it become a real smartbook? it will look like a keyboard with a smaller screen at the centre of it, or an asymmetrical device, which is quite strange ... instead of an hdd the sd itself or a usb stick will be enough...
by mariusl » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:49 am
Jesse B_ said:

I was actually considering doing a CNC control system with an RPi.  If nobody else is interested (or if someone wants a partner) I can probably work on some software.

If I get some feedback showing interest in this, I can see what I can do (as time permits, I"m a full time student, but I won"t let that stop me).

I am currently busy with a CNC product for the hobby market that is Atmega based and only connect via the usb to a PC or uses a MMC to read the data file.

I am planning to migrate this to a faster platform to provide a full blown CNC controller. Maybe we can collaborate here.

I will also be looking at "porting" Emc2 to the Pi.
by ADAMPOKE111 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:58 pm
I like pies...
by M@yeulC » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:14 pm
I don't know if it has already been said, but I also plan to usi it as a LAN http/ftp server, just like this one : http://www.geekstuff4u.com/kuro-sheeva-ultra-compact-mini-server.html, because I do not need a such powerful computer.

I am very interested in AR projects, And I will also use one as a media centre for my family.

[spoiler]

Off-topic :

So :

1 server

1 Media center

1 general purpose RPi

I think 'll buy at least three, but I'll start with just one to let the others have their own (I hope they will do the same)

The thing I really enjoy with this computer is that you just have to unplug the SD card and plug an other one to switch OS. It's the same as the game boy :D

(or some old computers which booted from 1.44 Mb Disks ;) )

[/spoiler]
by BodenM » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:54 am
I'm probably going to make my RasPi into a tablet with a TV tuner in it, since I have one tuner lying around. Shove the 'Pi into a casing with touchscreen/battery(ies)/USB hub/etc. in there.
by Squirrelking » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:01 pm
Sorry if I'm pissing on anyones chips here (metaphorically speaking of course) but looking into the sheer cost of trying to get a touchscreen car PC up and running it looks like you would be better off with a cheap tablet. I was thinking of doing the same but after looking at the cost of touchscreens it's just too expensive to get a Pi up to that level. Of course if you're simply running it through LCD or a cheap non-touchscreen then great!

For my first project I'm going to take a safe option and build a portable mini HTPC. I'm doing it as part of a casemod on an old games console, I'm just trying to figure out the logistics of installing a BD drive and once I've done that I should have enough bits to start constructing the case. I can't see anyone else using this case oddly enough (considering its size and form factor) but I will say it'll be called the PiQ when it's done ;)

I really do think though that there's a lot more to this, I just wish I had half the knowledge of some of you guys. Considering the grunt thats been pulled out of the old XBox via XBMC the Pi has a lot ahead of it!
by Nestor » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:14 pm
Hi, we're a Toronto-based online tech magazine (ITBusiness.ca).

we've been following the Raspberry Pi and we wanted to know what people are doing with the device.

Please tell us about your Raspberry Pi experience at: https://www.facebook.com/itbusiness

or at http://blogs.itbusiness.ca/201.....-new-ipad/

thanks

Nestor