The projects list. Look here for some ideas.

204 posts   Page 2 of 9   1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9
by banshee » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:34 pm
1. Media solution. Media streaming, MPD, maybe some old games just for fun. Of course, remote storage and backup via smb, nfs, iscsi; though not sure if USB interface will provide enough speed for such I/O.

2. Clustered web/db solution. Please note that this is not by using, for example, kerrighead or some clustering software. Instead just MySQL cluster+apache or ngnix. Probably puppet controlled and some continuous integration features.

Mostly for testing purposes, though who knows. Maybe it will manage to sustain some RL usability behind a good load-balancer. More interested in testing building and scalability of such things without having a big lab. And you can have about ten on your table. FOR FUN.

3. More distant, but in thoughts - "Smart" house. A small network of interconnected devices with some features like webcams with motion detection, sound recording and playback, using as a small VOIP phone, etc., controlled via web - mail, ssh, or maybe even REST.
by PhilFrisbie » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:49 am
1. Connecting a USB hard drive for a network file server and or dedicated torrent device.

2. Use 6 or more networked together using clusterGL to create a CAVE-type virtual reality system.

3. Use them to control a video wall.
by EricMiddleton » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:12 am
London Joe said:

Eric Middleton said:

I"m planning on making some sort of augmented reality system using a couple Raspberry Pi"s. I"m thinking about putting a small touch screen and a camera on one and using it to identify and track objects. I might make the other one into a smart quadrocopter that can track objects from the air. Kind of like the Parrot AR drone, but made for serious usage and not gaming.

To be honest if you could add a decent power source/battery pack and a satellite phone to ethernet/USB interface you could have a quadracopter that was remotely controllable from anywhere.

Well, I'm just going to make a tiny (<10x10cm) one to start with, make sure I can get everything working good before I really invest a lot of time and money. I'll probably just use Bluetooth for (really) short range control. After that though I'll probably make a big one, maybe 1x1m with a long range 2.4ghz signal. Perhaps a few kilometers so it can circle my house and track cars.
by HomoFaciens » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:52 pm
Rover 3.0 is my intended project for the RPI.

Last Rover pic

Rover 2.0 is powered by an Edubook and already running across my RoboSpatium (http://www.RoboSpatium.de). You can drive it for free at the project page. The RPI could help to shrink the dimensions of the next generation webcam equipped Rover.

The remote control is done by Java script inside a Browser and the picture and data transfer between Browser, web server and rover is done by simple Perl scripts (All scripts are open source and available at the project page).

A low data transfer rate is sufficient to control the rover, hence an UMTS capable USB stick could give my next Rover a global playground.

The RPI should be more than powerful enough to reach this goal. There will be computing power left to do some real robotics: I have to add a positioning system to help the Rover make it's way back to the charging station. In contrast to Rover 2.0, the next generation will be battery powered.

...so I am waiting to get my first RPI....
by Titus A Duxass » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:05 pm
My first two projects are:

1. An internet radio with an LCD display, mainly for streaming BBC Radio.

2. In car PC for navigational and media playback to one or two monitors.
by debs3759 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:15 pm
I'm thinking of using a Pi with a Gert board to control my computer cooling. I'm not sure how easy it would be, but if it's possible I'd like to use it to control the watercooling pumps on several computers, in conjunctions with thermal sensors. I'll certainly use it to control the dual-loop in a large build I have coming up (controlling pumps speeds from low to high, with no off). It'd also be good if I can control valves electronically, to switch between internal radiators and external cooling (to make the computer semi-portable when I want to take it to show it off to friends).

I envisage having to control relays rather than directly driving the pumps, because of the amount of power the pumps use. For the level of complexity I want, it should work out cheaper with a Pi than with a dedicated fan controller, and won't be restricted to just one use :)
by swanraspi » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:32 pm
GPS Data Logger I like to plot out footpath problems with GPS 'crumb trails'. At the moment I am struggling with a GPS data logger and mobile phone to record satisfactory 'fixes' from the GPS receiver. I would like to make up a GPS Data Logger from a RPI with a good SiRFIII Star receiver. I need to be able to set up one or two parameters, poll the receiver and store the fix data for subsequent upload to Windows digital mapping.
by __red__ » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:21 pm
Planning to use the pi as an embedded midi renderer.

I just completed my 192 key musical keyboard and it currently generates sound via a laptop.  With a pi, the pi board can render all the midi events into an audio stream and the instrument can become portable!
by ethelthefrog » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:43 pm
I was thinking about using one as a NAT/Firewall thingy for my house.  The ADSL line rate isn't going to stress the USB at all, even with two ethernet interfaces plugged in.  Log messages can be forwarded to the always-on house server, and it's not going to chew very much power.  Win all round.

EtF
by skaiwalker » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:05 pm
Personal USB linux environment for any operating system.

Black Dog remake (Wikipedia)
by Jim JKla » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:26 pm
Building and controll of a reprap 3D printer
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick
by Redion » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:32 pm
Jim JKla said:

Building and controll of a reprap 3D printer

NICE
by Jeff Green » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:33 am
Games

Back in the day we taught ourselves to program by typing in others peoples code. I'd like to continue that idea by providing code for simple games. (Once I've retaught myself how to)
by Docteh » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:47 am
I"m currently fiddling around with building an spi led dot matrix grid. I hope to be the first idiot who turns a raspi into a clock :)
by ctoon6 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:07 pm
Docteh said:

I"m currently fiddling around with building an spi led dot matrix grid. I hope to be the first idiot who turns a raspi into a clock :)

Good luck, when you turn it off, it will no longer keep the time (or so iv heard).
by scep » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:52 am
ctoon6 said:

Docteh said:

Good luck, when you turn it off, it will no longer keep the time (or so iv heard).

Just like every timepiece I've ever owned then ;) (apart from my sundial)
by buffler » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:29 am
Should make a good rear end or even a front end for software defined radio.

we'll see.

many of the suggested uses suggest a RTOS of some kind...will there be a version of a Linux RTOS available? Anyone working on such a beast?
by carldani » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:27 pm
Once I get some more info on how to drive the GPIOs faster than the /sys/-based file interfaces, I'll write a Raspberry Pi driver for  flashrom to give users a flash/EEPROM programmer. That would be useful for unbricking mainboards after failed BIOS/EFI updates, but I expect the driver code to be reused by other projects as well... fast userspace GPIO control seems to be desired by many projects.
by fadedknight » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:59 am
Two RPis networked with a small lcd screen each for low cost diy vr headset :)
by dmq » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:52 pm
Have you seen this little guy?  His name is Romo.  He is controlled by sending audio signals over a stereo audio connector.  They published the interface details on their blog, so it will be easy enough to develop an app for the RaspberryPi.

Romo

Image all the fun we can have.  http://romotive.com/meetromo
by Burngate » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:30 am
dmq said:

Have you seen this little guy?  His name is Romo.

Image all the fun we can have.  http://romotive.com/meetromo

+1 to this!

This is the first I've heard of it, but it looks interesting.

It reminds me (naturally) of the '80s Logo turtle. And therefore has obvious kidergarten education application possibilities.

Maybe a bit expensive? $99, and shipping to UK adds $40!

But interfacing to R-Pi would (I hope) be easy.

It uses the same power connector as our Pi, so may be using a battery of a compatible spec - a small mod would allow the Pi to get its power from Romo! - if the Pi doesn't need the full 5V for its audio out, then as long as Romo's battery has enough oomph to drive the SoC (and the GPU should be virtually shut down since there would be no video output) it should be good to go with a model A Pi.

The more I think about this the more excited I get! Just going out to join the Romo fraternity!
Wyszkowski's Second Law: Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough.
Brain surgery is easier than psychoanalysis
by scep » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:07 am
Talking of turtles, the Finch robot always intrigued me as they were specifically designed to teach CS concepts and programming. Dearer than the Romo but is a proper bot with a load of sensors on board (temp, light, accelerometer, obstacle).

It's USB HID based, takes power from USB, the firmware is open, programmable in lots of language etc. It even has an oldskool pen holder for proper turtle graphics :D . Interesting…
by mikefife » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:38 pm
I was thinking of using the R-Pi to copy the contents of my camera's compact flash card to an external hard drive.

Not having to carry about a laptop would be rather good.

I'm not sure how I'm going to do this yet, having the confidence that the files have been copied before formatting the card will be an absolute must and organising the files into some sort of order would be pretty high on the desirable list.

It would be nice to be able to view the photos on a TV too which will mean that I will have to be able to read the Canon RAW format.
by Zerjillo » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:53 pm
Dear Mike Fife:

You will have no problem with the Canon RAW format. There are currently several possibilities, being UFRaw and dcRaw two of them, to read / transform the Canon RAW format (and many others). I suppose that it will just a matter of compiling those tools to the RasPi and do some scripting to allow the automatic conversion. And regarding the confidence that the files have been copied... maybe you can make it do some sound through the audio jack when files are copied and checked (md5 sums). Thus you have some kind of confirmation with just an earbud.

And now my own project: use the RasPi to control some astronomic equipment. Up to now there is a project (called LibINDI) whose primary aim is precisely to be able to control many astronomical devices (mounts, telescopes, CCD cameras, filter wheels, weather stations) from linux flavoured systems. I pretend to do the server part of the control with one or more RasPi in my next remote observatory.
by BillyHill » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:05 pm
I'd like to use RPi to run a cheap, intelligent, versatile, web enabled home alarm / automation system using USB web cams as motion detectors and image capture devices.

Connected to my home LAN I can control it from my smartphone, PC, tablet, etc.

Second project, use RPi as a cheap vhf/uhf repeater using 1(simplex) or 2(duplex) walkie-talkies hoisted 10m aloft by a weather balloon. Extends the range of the bubble pack hand-helds when you go camping, hiking, hunting, farming, holiday, etc.

Not much to do because most of the software already exists, I think. Students could have a whale of a time porting the code.