The projects list. Look here for some ideas.

203 posts   Page 5 of 9   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
by Nicko21 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:02 am
I am going to set it up as a wifi host and make it a portalble game server. I'll make a start up wepage for ips,ports and files, and an admin area to change settings. I cant wait. :P
by comdude2 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:33 pm
Nicko21 said:

I am going to set it up as a wifi host and make it a portalble game server. I'll make a start up wepage for ips,ports and files, and an admin area to change settings. I cant wait. :P

Was thinking of doing the same thing ;)

Everyone says that the possibility of RPi running a minecraft server is impossible - Such a shame...

Ah well there is still so much more you can do with it!
by Nicko21 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:26 am
Matt Armer said:

Nicko21 said:

Was thinking of doing the same thing ;)

Everyone says that the possibility of RPi running a minecraft server is impossible - Such a shame...

Ah well there is still so much more you can do with it!

It may be possible if you use bukkit and put alot of perfomance boosting plugins. Maybe you will get about 4 people on :D lol
by bill » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:13 am
Audio animatronics controller, already has the sound part built in and it ought to be plenty fast enough to control multiple motors.
by curiousengr » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:11 am
Initially I am looking for something I need rather than Pie in the Sky project, when I have visitors (family) they all want to use the internet at the same time.

My Desktop Laptop and Netbook are all connecting via my Wifi router at the same time and still I need more!.

If I can use a RasPi with spare SVGA Monitor and maybe  another with TV and connect WiFi to Internet then everybody will be happy.(I get good Broadband speed)

A portable version of RasPi would be nice but the cost of LVDS or LCD DSI screens is too much to make it feasible- I could get a Linux Netbook for the same price.

Anybody thought about using mobile phone battery to power the RasPi? it would need voltage regulation and be able to charge the battery but would keep the package small.
by pingu512 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:45 pm
I am working on a python based application to connect to my weather station. So far I have it working on an emulator and uploading to my web site at

http://www.dragontail.co.uk/we.....r_text.php

The data is not live (that's what I wand the Pi for)

Should be a good project for schools.
by rasalberry » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:12 pm
A pocket Geiger counter – see http://www.radiation-watch.org for inspiration.

Unfortunately, making a PIN photo-diode scintillator from scratch is beyond me.  I'd like to purchase one from radiation-watch.org but the (poorly translated) website implies they are only available in Japan.  What the?  Has anyone else looked into this?
by BoingoInsanity » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:06 pm
I am waiting for more stock to come in so I can purchase one of these!  I am going to use it as a media player for my TV, as well as try to hook up a video capture device to detect motion and record a security camera feed.  I'll also hook up an external hard drive that I can share across the network.  I am also hoping this thing has enough guts to run a second capture device to use as a DVR, although I will see once it's in my hands.  Nothing like browsing the web while you're laying in bed or sitting on the couch!  I can run this baby 24/7 and not have to worry about running up the electric bill!  Another awesome use would be to use it to run an FTP server, or a small company internal web server!  What an awesome piece of technology!
by nowonder » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:34 am
Hi guys (and gals)!

I am planning (as so many) to use the Raspberry Pi to stream audio and video to my living room setup. But I am planning to use two Pi(e)s. One for my HD projector (mounted under the ceiling) and one for my stereo.

The challenge will be to keep the sound and the video stream synchronized. If that turns out to be hard, I will stream both sound and video to both Pi(e)s (using broadcast/multicast?) and they will only use one of the streams. As they will run identical software and the hardware will be identical, I hope that this will result in a zero offset for the delay.

Cheers,

Peter
by Jim Manley » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:47 pm
Pi-finity! A Network-based MMORP Game Being Built by and for Only R-Pi Users

I"ve started developing a network-distributed game system along the lines of a massively multi-player on-line role-playing game, but, with a twist - science, math, and software development skills will be needed increasingly as players progress through game levels. Players will be able to create various worlds where they can control everything from the laws of physics to who is allowed to enter. The project wiki is currently at:

http://pi-finity.wikia.com/wik.....nity!_Wiki

I"m in the process of developing requirements specifications from my ideas and inputs from other forum members and will be prototyping some ideas while waiting for my board to show up. I"m also looking at various open-source 3-D game engines and protocols to see what may be usable as a baseline, or parts that can be reused.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!
by matthewh3 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:09 pm
I'm starting a bounty for someone to develop an optimised LTC miner for the RaspberryPi that mines on its ARM1176JZF-S CPU and its Broadcom VideoCore IV GPU ?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=75590.0 (Original thread)

http://litecoin.org/ (Litecoin homepage)

https://github.com/pooler/cpuminer (Intel/AMD x86 CPU miner)

http://wiki.solidcoin.info/wiki/Reaper (GPGPU miner works for litecoin)

If you want to post on the original thread and your not already a member of that forum you will have to ask to be "whitelisted" in the newbie section of the forum.  Just state you are interested in developing this project for optimised RaspberryPi CPU/GPU miner.
by BitBiter » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:59 pm
nicksoph said:

I was struck by how many people have such a wide range of uses for the R.Pi and thought I would try and design a minimal case that might meet those diverse needs. What I eventually came up with was not a case but simply a board holder that held the board and made it easier to affix it to other things. Ive called it a protocase and it will fit directly onto a lego base board and has enough internal clearance to allow screwing onto a flat base.

protocase1

I have printed this and it seems to be fine but cant be sure till we see the final boards.

Id be interested to hear peps opinions and any ideas for improvements.

nicksoph

Love this idea Nick – I will buy one from you when you can print or produce them… PM me if you need more contact details.

Ian

[Edit] Woops - looks like the previous time I posted this it actually worked, despite giving me a DB error and not appearing in the thread. Sorry :(

Please Reserve One Case for je Top. Looks simple Great!
by BitBiter » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:15 pm
Jesse B_ said:

I was actually considering doing a CNC control system with an RPi.  If nobody else is interested (or if someone wants a partner) I can probably work on some software.

If I get some feedback showing interest in this, I can see what I can do (as time permits, I"m a full time student, but I won"t let that stop me).

I am currently busy with a CNC product for the hobby market that is Atmega based and only connect via the usb to a PC or uses a MMC to read the data file.

I am planning to migrate this to a faster platform to provide a full blown CNC controller. Maybe we can collaborate here.

I will also be looking at "porting" Emc2 to the Pi.

I"m thinking about my oen "CNC Station" for years already. The biegest block seems to be the mechanical part. The electric is somehow a clear picture in my head using some dev kits I got in the past. For the "Main Controller" the RPi seems to be the optimal part with everything in board I need: network interface for Data transmission, some GPIOs for buttons and LEDs, serial interface (SPI) for communication with the motor controllers, and last but not least a running OS which runs in a PC too ( for offline development and debugging).

From my side it would be great, if wie can build a Team!
by mculaj » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:41 pm
BitBiter said:

I"m thinking about my oen "CNC Station" for years already. The biegest block seems to be the mechanical part. The electric is somehow a clear picture in my head using some dev kits I got in the past.

From my side it would be great, if wie can build a Team!

I can offer mechanical parts development and supply.

• Laser catting and bending 

• Welding

• Sand cast grey iron parts

• Plastic parts 

• Precisely CNC machined parts

We are located in Albania so we are very competitive.

Take a look at http://omniaconsult.eu

Mark
by pingu512 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:39 pm
pingu512 said:

I am working on a python based application to connect to my weather station. So far I have it working on an emulator and uploading to my web site at

http://www.dragontail.co.uk/we.....r_text.php

The data is not live (that's what I wand the Pi for)

Should be a good project for schools.

Now working better at

http://www.dragontail.co.uk/we.....raph2.html
by bsalis » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:51 am
Couple of ideas I have...

24x7 Torrent Downloader

Ingredients...

• Raspberry Pi (model B) with suitable power supply

• Ethernet connection to your home network

• External USB HDD (Samba mount on your network)

• Your preferred Torrent downloading program (ideally with web interface)

Description...
Download Torrents silently with low power use every hour of the day. The small size means you can probably plonk it next to your router, or even bolt it to the inside of your PC case! Since it's running all the time, you can choke the upload so as not impact your internet connection, which can be an issue if your on ADSL.
This is what I plan to do with my first Pi since it's so simple and a nice replacement for my noisy old computer I use for this

Internet Wifi Hotspot

Ingredients...

• Raspberry Pi (model B) with suitable power supply

• Internet connection (eg. via ethernet connected ADSL modem/router or USB 3G dongle)

• Catch and release captive portal program (eg. NoCatAuth, see http://nocat.net)

Description...
I'm sure everyone has used one of these setups before, like at a cafe or hotel. Connect to the WiFi access point, and any website you attempt to access takes you to a login page where you need to register and/or login to get timed internet access (often paid for). Raspberry Pi is a really great cheap platform for this (assuming low-ish bandwidth use). Ideal for small retail type business (eg. pubs) that want to offer free, temporary, login protected WiFi internet access to customers, but don't want to pay for an expensive commercial paid-access system.
This is what I would like to do later on a second Pi. I'm planning to write the portal software in Java myself since I am an experienced Java programmer, however I would like advise/help on the network control side of things
by ollypod » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:46 pm
I was thinking of using it as a second sky box, by logging into Sky GO on second television in house, rather then having the expence of getting second Sky box
by HerpaMoTeH » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:02 am
I'm thinking about developing a Web based SCADA system on the Pi :)
by Embester » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:58 am

"Attach GPS receiver to the RPI  and put in into a car. Have a little display with the GPS app showing my way. Tom-Tom uses linux to power their GPS devices, so maybe with some reverse engineering we could run Tom-Tom software on the RPI. "

Our team has already done a GPS module to Raspberry pi.As we have a module named GPS8100 which is the supporting facility for our EVM board,we can expand the "P1" port and redesign a similar GPS module.Now the SW porting is on going.

by sotoole » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:10 pm
I am going to do a solar powered watering system utilizing the pulsed water valves and a soil moisture meter. will have to build the relay and a/d board. should be useful for a lot of other projects like an attic fan controller for cooling the attic space on really hot days. same basic layout A/D to sense temp and relays to control motors. Downloaded the schematics today and will get on designing the I/O boards. Anyone out there needing to add to the board or willing to help send me an E-Mail. sotoole@sotoole.com
by GeckooTec » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:28 am
I am going to try (as soon i have my Raspi) to make a portable 24/7 Minecraft Server :D

Thats because i dont know any Python yet. As soon i know Python a bit i will propably set up networks; maybe try just for fun to make a Proxy System, but i think thats going to take a while because, as i said, i dont know any python yet.
by victagayun » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:31 am
@Charles B.  Don"t worry about not knowing Linux too well.  I"m a Windows junkie myself.  I do use Linux now and then because file/disk/partition management is hard to beat in Linux.  But, due to the fact that I am lazy and if something dosn"t work in 10 to 30 mins I look for something else, I use Windows most of the time with a Linux Virtual Box on my desktop.  The best of both IMO.  Windows for games, Linux for work that is how I roll.

You will find modern Linux to be very user friendly, it will just take some time to get used to the new commands and the places it puts things.  I learned Linux with Slackware durring the 90"s you will find that Debian/Fedora/Ubuntu/Arch are far more forgiving (well even modern slack is more forgiving than back in the day.)

Your first project can be done with minimal effort.  I"m sure XBMA will handle it just fine.  Project two I can"t speak too much on but it sounds do-able and if you probe the community after the product launches I"m sure you will get plenty of help.</p

hello jessie,

i am also learning debian using virtual box. i plan to send sms using either usb or bluetooth. using lsusb the devices are listed but when i use "dmesg|grep tty" the device is not listed. i suspect this has something got to do with virtual box becoz my usb modem cannot connect to the internet but can be found when im using winxp. the usb modem started working when i use vmware workstation under the same winxp os.
now my question is: we"re u able to experience the same problem? and can confirm that it is virtualbox?
since i am here, i plan to interface a mobile fone either by usb or bluetooth to retrieve the message and act according to the message received.

victor
by oj94 » Tue May 08, 2012 6:10 pm
viciouspenguin said:

Automated Trans-Atlantic Solar Boat.

A simple(ish) idea; Build a small boat (1.2m, 3 or 4 foot in length, and 60cm, or 1.5 foot wide), cover the upper deck in solar panels.

Using a GPS attached to an RPi give the boat a destination and drop it in the sea. Wait.

Now i expect it will need some refinement, and specific parameters, such as laying dormant at night, using the solar energy to power the unit in day and charge a night-time backup battery for the dormant phase.

as for what it will do while crossing the atlantic, who knows. thats something which would be talked about.

The Pi's low power requirments make this more than a possibility....

Sounds like a very interesting idea, like to hear how it turns out.
by MyGodAL3X » Thu May 10, 2012 8:56 pm
The idea I have for my RasPi (once it arrives) would be to build it and a touch-screen into a coffee table and through some sort of IR receiver-emitter control a home entertainment system.

Basically use the RasPi as a universal remote (controlled by touchscreen) from within a coffee table.

I still need to figure out how I would go about doing the IR control of the TV, sound system, and devices, but that is basically my idea.
by tboy » Sat May 12, 2012 8:17 am
Hi folks,

I"ve been planning a project to enable the teacher

and students to interact in the classroom by using

an RPi as a server that will communicate with the

students RPi to send multiple choice tests to clarify

what they have learned during class.

I"m not too sure whether something like this will be

useful or even used.

what"s your opinion?