RPi Backbone

5 posts
by umrashrf » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:29 pm
Here's my new concept about RPi Backbone.

I was thinking of designing a rod like board where you can insert "n" number of Pis and when the rod will be connected to the TV, it will accumulate all the power from "n" Pis and show it as a single computer.

For example, you buy the 2-tier rod from me and 2 RPi. You can plug Pi's GPIO to the rod and it will be all set to go. When computer is running, it will show following power.

256 + 256 = 512 RAM
700 Mhz + 700 Mhz = 1.4 GHz Processor

I have planned to name it "Pi Backbone", I am not so good at 3D designing but because I am enrolled in a Computer Graphics and Animation course this semester, I can workout on this. I will post video in a week or two.

If you can help me in this regard anyhow, ping me!
by bredman » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:52 pm
What you are planning is extremely complex, it is called a multiprocessor cluster.

For more information, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluster_(computing)

This has also been discussed on this forum, the nickname used has been "Raspberry Pi Bramble". Search this forum for the word "bramble".
by umrashrf » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:45 pm
I forgot to write, I'm enrolled in Distributed Computing course in this semester as well. I am not newbie.

I will work my ass off to get this if I really want to :)
by ghans » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:55 pm
Wait , are you talking about a consumer-grade multitasking OS distributed over
multiple nodes ? Like a fancy Ubuntu or Raspbian with LXDE and several apps open ?

Or are you talking about distributed computing with optimized algoritms
through specialized software (for scientific or commercial purposes) ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by itpimp » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:24 pm
MPI is the way to go. (Message Passing Interface).

Check out this article on howto make a PI supercomputer. Pretty awesome. They built a 64 Pi computer with 1TB disk space and 32GB RAM. And the first thing they did? Calculated PI !! And they say us geeks don't have a sense of humor. BTW, the computer's name is Iridis-PI.

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/~sjc/raspberrypi/

Would love to see / use the design for the rod. Almost like a Arduino type of design where they slot into each other?