Raspberry Pitop

4 posts
by s4b3r6 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:22 am
Basically, considering you can battery power the Pi, I thought you could build a small-scale portable Pi at considerably less cost than a laptop, and so I did.
This is the setup I ended up with:
4.5inch car screen, (requires 8 AA batteries),
Raspberry Pi
Logitech K260 wireless keyboard and mouse
Jaycar electronics gear, pretty basic wire up system qith a couple switches.

Still working on the case to house it all, but will update once it's all together.
by s4b3r6 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:50 am
Got the Pi on batteries... Connected the monitor according to the schematics... Smoke. The board for the screen burnt out. Red and black were mixed up on the diagram.

It works... Just not when you fuse a major component.
by natefinley » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:44 am
Hey, I'm doing a very similar project.
My plan involves an 8 AA tray which powers the screen with 12v.
A voltage regulator (i think 7805) then brings it down to 5v which then goes into a usb hub.
My pi and it's accessories is powered by this hub.
I bought an aluminum apple keyboard with no keypad and a trackpad converted to usb from a macbook pro as input devices.

I plan to add a solar cell in the future.

Also for a good screen, try getting an extra screen from a car DVD player set, they are about the same price as most car lcd back up monitors and tend to be larger about 7-9". my model is an Insignia ns-MVDS7.

As for the case, My local Highschool has a plastic printer and I might enlist their help.
by dasimpson » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:06 pm
just a little tip the lcd has a voltage regulator built in i run 7-12v into lcd out of the lcd after the voltage regulator into the rpi